Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Tesco to 'honour' Dunnes/Supervalu money off vouchers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Wow. Cant see the rivals beating that move. That with the price promise against the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Its limited application is a bitch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Why don't Tesco just drop their bloody prices instead of all these stupid false deals and gimmicks?

They still charge too much on many items. I can buy many things cheaper in my local Eurospar than I can in Tesco, and these items aren't on special in Eurospar either.

It's like the scam matching Lidl and Aldi pricing. Conveniently though their is no breakdown on your till receipt of what was actually cheaper in Aldi or Lidl. Sometimes nothing was cheaper according to the till receipts. And why does it have to be money off vouchers on your next shop anyway?

What's wrong with price matching at the checkout there and then?

I use Aldi for just about everything now. Only go to Tesco for niche items I can't get in the Germans store.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Why don't Tesco just drop their bloody prices instead of all these stupid false deals and gimmicks?

They still charge too much on many items. I can buy many things cheaper in my local Eurospar than I can in Tesco, and these items aren't on special in Eurospar either.

It's like the scam matching Lidl and Aldi pricing. Conveniently though their is no breakdown on your till receipt of what was actually cheaper in Aldi or Lidl. Sometimes nothing was cheaper according to the till receipts. And why does it have to be money off vouchers on your next shop anyway?

What's wrong with price matching at the checkout there and then?

I use Aldi for just about everything now. Only go to Tesco for niche items I can't get in the Germans store.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Supervalue are the same. Some of their stuff is really expensive. Our weekly shopping habit is the same. 85% at Aldi and pop into Tesco for the few things we cant get at Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Does anyone have a link to the stores applicable to this offer? I have some supervalu vouchers that i'll never get to use there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wow. Cant see the rivals beating that move. That with the price promise against the Germans.

Erm - the rivals are the ones offering the coupons in the first place - Tesco have no equivalent at the moment so there is nothing for them to do.

The "price promise" is a selective joke. Tesco UK recently said they needed to stop with promotions gimmicks as they weren't working; clearly hasn't filtered down to Gresham House yet.

MYOB wrote: »
    Erm - the rivals are the ones offering the coupons in the first place - Tesco have no equivalent at the moment so there is nothing for them to do.

The "price promise" is a selective joke. Tesco UK recently said they needed to stop with promotions gimmicks as they weren't working; clearly hasn't filtered down to Gresham House yet.

Tesco are always running promotions MYOB , this webiste is full of them.
    Now they are running the rivals promotions as well as their own.

This competitive price war between companies is very positive for us the shoppers.

You can be sure about one thing. The people of Greshem House are not stupid as the company still makes billions. That price promise thing may not sit well with a few chosen posters here, but has been very popular with the majority of customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have no comparison to this, hence there is nothing for their rivals to "beat". This is Tesco trying to catch up without actually offering the same to people who are their (remaining) loyal customers - someone who never shops at Dunnes or Supervalu won't have these coupons.
    This competitive price war between companies is very positive for us the shoppers.

No, its not. Staples have their prices pushed up to fund the gimmicks. This is why more and more people are giving up the quest that is required to actually get good value at Tesco and have moved entirely to the Germans
    You can be sure about one thing. The people of Greshem House are not stupid as the company still makes billions. That price promise thing may not sit well with a few chosen posters here, but has been very popular with the majority of customers.

Sales are falling, market share is falling, absolutely nobody on here except Tesco staff or ex-staff has claimed the Price Promise is anything other than a pathetic gimmck.

So this is a bad promotion then.

Dont use it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,131 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you being sarcastic, the price promise is a con, far too many terms and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They're going out of their way not to engage in a price war, relying on these gimmicks instead of actually dropping prices. I fail to see a real positive for consumers tbh.

Binka wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the stores applicable to this offer? I have some supervalu vouchers that i'll never get to use there.

I had a look at their website and could not see a reference to it. I assume its one's that might have a notice in store about it. It says 30 in Dublin so I'd imagine all their non-express stores in Dublin if that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

MYOB wrote: »

I wonder does Tony Keohane actually know how real customers feel about Tesco these days?
    Does he actually know that all these marketing gimmicks are not working for Tesco,and that he should once and for all take full control of the situation now and ensure that prices are dropped down to compete in a propper real way in the Irish retail market.
    Tony was a great store manager,when Tesco was Quinnsworth,he would take no sh!t from anyone and he would work the staff to their bones.Then he got promoted to head office and then as the managing director of Tesco Ireland.
    He needs to take the bull by the horns now,take full control of the situation and stop Tesco slipping any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Xm1zEOh.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you made it more realistic, it would be worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where do the 8 euro off a €40 shop vouchers come from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

snubbleste wrote: »
    If you made it more realistic, it would be worth a shot!

:)
    I have MS Paint, and zero photoshop skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

How can something so small and dismal be popular with the vast majority of customers?

It was a gimmick that is doomed Imo. Tesco are between a rock and a hard place with it if you ask me.

On a recent trip there, my wife (vegetarian) spent over €100 on various bits and pieces, and her till receipt included a whopping big 7c off the next Tesco shop.

7c. :cool:

What do Tesco do though? They are reluctant to drop the prices to a more realistic mark up. They won't dare attempt to slash prices to the German giants (they wouldn't survive), so they're forced to offer a 'price match' with them.

Conveniently they don't break down what would have been cheaper in the competitors stores, so you're leaving with your 4c off for the next shop yet not knowing exactly where they got their info.

Tesco are hardly likely to be giving back 3/5/10€ in vouchers, as this would highlight exactly how much the non savvy shoppers were being fleeced for. Hence why they throw out the token 7 and 8cents off next shops.

Their business model is doomed unless they move with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Conveniently they don't break down what would have been cheaper in the competitors stores, so you're leaving with your 4c off for the next shop yet not knowing exactly where they got their info.

They hire an agency that literally sends someone into every shop to check prices - that's how it was done 10 years ago anyway.

Suspect it is a combination of that and crawling the internet now.

How can something so small and dismal be popular with the vast majority of customers?

It was a gimmick that is doomed Imo. Tesco are between a rock and a hard place with it if you ask me.

On a recent trip there, my wife (vegetarian) spent over €100 on various bits and pieces, and her till receipt included a whopping big 7c off the next Tesco shop.

7c. :cool:

What do Tesco do though? They are reluctant to drop the prices to a more realistic mark up. They won't dare attempt to slash prices to the German giants (they wouldn't survive), so they're forced to offer a 'price match' with them.

Tesco are hardly likely to be giving back 3/5/10€ in vouchers, as this would highlight exactly how much the non savvy shoppers were being fleeced for. Hence why they throw out the token 7 and 8cents off next shops.

Their business model is doomed unless they move with the times.

Doomed is a very strong word.

Trends within the Tesco industry is this.
    up 245% with blinkbox and Hudl
    up 70% with F+F clothing
    up 25% on general online merchandise with the Tesco Direct Not yet here in Ireland though.
    up 10% on grocery
    Up 1% on Express stores.

Company wide they are down 3.1% with big stores. This is a quote from a visions statement over christmas.
    Large out-of-town formats under pressure
    – Affected by consumer channel shift to online and convenience
    – Some customers appear to be adopting ‘new norm’ of frugality
    – Increased levels of competition
    – GM transformation programme holding back sales in short-term

As far as I can see, they are shifting the trend slowly.

I can see more express stores , Giant dotcom only stores and downsizing of the big extra stores. As well as re branding.

The whole fresh&easy and horse meat thing has also hit the company in the nuts.

They are still number one in the market. They have the resource to fight back . But they are soooo slow to react.

These are my own opinions and not that of Tesco..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Same place babies come from, dear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

kn wrote: »
    I had a look at their website and could not see a reference to it. I assume its one's that might have a notice in store about it. It says 30 in Dublin so I'd imagine all their non-express stores in Dublin if that helps.

I saw a notice up in a Tesco METRO saying they accepted them so it looks like the only exclusions are the express one's alright.

Muahahaha wrote: »

The vouchers come in the post to their clubcard members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Id love to rock into tesco with €40 of dunnes vouchers and only buy €40 worth of stuff so they get no revenue out of me.

They should get the message that customers are sick of their stupid complicated promotions strategy which is based on varying their product prices every 2nd week to trick customers into thinking they have made savings.

They should take a leaf from lidl / aldi who stealing all their customers who have stable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Id love to rock into tesco with €40 of dunnes vouchers and only buy €40 worth of stuff so they get no revenue out of me.
    Those vouchers don't work, only "spend 50 save 10" and so on. They're not idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I had months of grief trying to get Tesco to take Tesco vouchers, I lol at the thought of trying to get them to take someone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

– GM transformation programme holding back sales in short-term[/I]
    What is this GM transformation programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Only applies to 30 Dublin stores and 13 outside Dublin

what stores around the country?
    no mention of that

that great for the rest of the country isn't it?

really beginning to hate this crowd but still good for beer :D

supervalu no better, the prices they charge on certain things are way above
    anywhere else, it's borderline criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,131 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone care to guess what department of Tesco woodpecker works in

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Anyone care to guess what department of Tesco woodpecker works in

The department that cleans the floors and stacks the shelf's. :P I do take an interest in the direction the company is going though.

I assume the GM thing is General Management. I dont know for sure as that was a copy/paste jobby.

Advertisement