Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Anyone know if the deal is extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

The cheque came in the post this morning, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

oreillykm wrote: »
    The cheque came in the post this morning, happy days!

I got my first cheque this morning also...Should have another one on the way in another week or so.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just got my cheque in the post this morning too :) nice

joe250 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the deal is extended?

Looks like the offer has been extended in the UK anyway - http://image.ebuyer.com/customer/promos/UK/PA0023-%C2%A350-off-Microserver-Offer-May-2011.pdf

...and from HP UK - http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/proliantmicroserver/index.html

Anyone know if HP will be extending this offer in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I got my first cheque this morning also...Should have another one on the way in another week or so.... :D
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just got my cheque in the post this morning too :) nice

When did you get the confirmation email?

That credit card bill needs to be paid... :P

Jonathan wrote: »
    When did you get the confirmation email?

That credit card bill needs to be paid... :P

Got my confirmation mail on the 29th March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I got the cheque in the post yesterday morning, lodged today. As its drawn on a UK bank it can take up to 4 weeks to clear I was told.

They seem to have only posted the cheques at the end of last week as I had queried them if mine had been sent before I got the post yesterday.

The offer has also been extended for Ireland until the end of May :)
    Find the cashback form attached folks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pegasus425

Great News on the offer extension. Where is currently the best place to buy? Many Thanks.

• Advertisement

pegasus425 wrote: »
    Great News on the offer extension. Where is currently the best place to buy? Many Thanks.

Elara.ie - €268.62 Incl Vat
    Bechtle.ie - €267.41 Incl Vat
    HPShop.ie - €273.19 Incl Vat
    Dabs.ie - €270.74 Incl Vat but not in stock
    eBuyer.com - £239.98/€274.15 Incl Vat

Above prices don't include shipping!

I think www.pc-planet.de are doing them cheaper but "The promotion is valid only on new units purchased and invoiced directly from HP or a ROI HP authorised reseller"

... dammit, just bought another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Great machine for the price, anyone know the cheapest place to get 2*4 GB Dimms and a couple of 2TB drives?

Found Crucial.com cheapish for memory
    Also bought a few drives from Amazon.co.uk, yes they are only 5400RPM but ideal for a quiet network storage in a RAID config

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep I got those same drives.
    Going for a low energy build and mine is now running WHS and used for media storage so 5400 is grand.

Found Crucial.com cheapish for memory
    Also bought a few drives from Amazon.co.uk, yes they are only 5400RPM but ideal for a quiet network storage in a RAID config

Thanks KerbDog, they look grand. Can anyone comment on how Server 2008 runs on this machine? might just run linux on it if the processor cant handle 2008.

WHS? Jump into the world of Linux servers!:-)

Might just do that, any recomendations? Maybe a dual boot at first just to get my feet wet!

Just one thing to note with WHS (I have it running on this box too) is that it can only take 4G RAM max. I found this out when I bought 8! Crucial are taking the excess 4 back without a problem.
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yep I got those same drives.
    Going for a low energy build and mine is now running WHS and used for media storage so 5400 is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

Just one thing to note with WHS (I have it running on this box too) is that it can only take 4G RAM max. I found this out when I bought 8! Crucial are taking the excess 4 back without a problem.

hmn was thinking about it and spec refers to max 8gb ?

This is what Crucial sent me;
    "I have done some further research and it seems that Windows Home Server will only detect 4GB maximum as shown here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_home_server"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

This is what Crucial sent me;
    "I have done some further research and it seems that Windows Home Server will only detect 4GB maximum as shown here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_home_server"

WHS (1) is 32-bit only, so I suspect it uses slightly less than 4. WHS 2011 supports/requires 64-bit and I would *guess* that it would use the full 8GB. If this is a purchase-deciding factor, bear in mind that 2011 does not support drive pooling (another reason people generally gravitate towards WHS).

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Might just do that, any recomendations? Maybe a dual boot at first just to get my feet wet!

If there is nothing on your server already the don't dual boot, jump in the deep end with Ubuntu server. Many `how-tos`online you can follow, giving you remote access over SSH, setup of software RAID and the setup of samba network file sharing.
    Then you can go more advanced with torrent downloading web frontends etc.

Don't install the Ubuntu desktop version :-) no challenge using a GUI

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pegasus425

Elara.ie - €268.62 Incl Vat
    Bechtle.ie - €267.41 Incl Vat
    HPShop.ie - €273.19 Incl Vat
    Dabs.ie - €270.74 Incl Vat but not in stock
    eBuyer.com - £239.98/€274.15 Incl Vat

Above prices don't include shipping!

I think www.pc-planet.de are doing them cheaper but "The promotion is valid only on new units purchased and invoiced directly from HP or a ROI HP authorised reseller"

... dammit, just bought another one!

Thanks KeRbDog for the info. Much Appreciated.

Just ordered one from Elara!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

A few stupid questions gere.

FIrstly is all of this deal still running?

Secondly, was looking at getting a Synology DS1511+ in the next two months. The reason I want it is to share all my files across 2 pcs and 2 laptops on the network as well as mobile devices like iphone and ipad and AppleTV. I also want to be able to access the data remotely as I will be spending a lot of time in America and would also like to be able backup projects from America to it. Currently attached to one PC I have a 1TB drive and a 320GB unternal trive which are both about full and another removable 320GB drive that is full.

I was hoping to setup with a RAID to protect from drive failure as well as getting about 5TB of storage and host a printer to act as a network printe rbetween Windows XP and Windows 7.

Would I be able to do that with this server and what would th emax storage I could get be? Would this be a better buy than the Synology?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Would I be able to do that with this server and what would th emax storage I could get be? Would this be a better buy than the Synology?
    Run a GNU/Linux system and you can do what ever you want with it if you are prepared to learn how to do it. :)

4 * 3TB drives in the caddies, and another in the ODD drive = 15TB unformatted storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jurisprudence

Anyone any advice on which RAM to get for this thing. Looking at Amazon.co.uk is doing my head in and I trust the reviews as much as I trust Seanie. Need additional 4gb in 1 module. Anyone know anywhere doing good deals on ECC. Cheers

Cheque for €117 arrived today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Anyone any advice on which RAM to get for this thing. Looking at Amazon.co.uk is doing my head in and I trust the reviews as much as I trust Seanie. Need additional 4gb in 1 module. Anyone know anywhere doing good deals on ECC. Cheers

From Crucial.com. This is what I've got in mine

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=Proliant%20MicroServer&Cat=RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can do pretty much anything you want with the microserver, but some things will require pretty steep learning curves in the world of linux.

windows home server would mitigate that quite a bit if you're already familiar with windows, but i don't know if it would perform that well on the atom cpu, altho i have windows 7 running on a similar specced machine as a htpc and it runs fine, so you might be okay, depending on what your exact plans are for it.

i bought a nas a couple of years ago (a thecus n7700) and regretted it, but ony because of the poor support and restricted features thecus provide. if i had my time again i think i'd buy the Synology DS1511+, although at the time, the available disks and the no. of drive bays didn't leave me much of an upgrade path and the extra drive bays in the thecus were what won it for me.

as it goes, i still might get a DS1511+, altho i'm half tempted to go for a home built box instead, but either way it's on hold for now as i have other more important stuff to concentrate on. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jurisprudence

machalla wrote: »

Thanks for that. I was looking at ECC Ram but may just go with Non-ECC Ram and ditch the current 1gb chip. Its hard for me to justify a ram upgrade almost the price of the server (after discount of course) Do you, or anyone else here, rate Geil Ram?

Advertisement