Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So I've grabbed myself a new Xbox and I'm tempted to grab one of these.

Essentially want a central storage unit for torrents and media files, running irssi to ssh into from work. Remote access to download torrents would be a plus.

Essentially have 2 pc's 2 laptops and an Xbox in the house. Thinking of grabbing apple Tv too, so I want something central to simply stream files to the various PC's when I want.

Has anyone got this for a similar setup and had success? I was going to jump into a NAS but the fact this seems a bit more customisable seems win.

Also whats the noise like on it? Preferably need something that runs power efficent and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kumar_aq

TheDoc wrote: »

Essentially want a central storage unit for torrents and media files, running irssi to ssh into from work. Remote access to download torrents would be a plus.

Essentially have 2 pc's 2 laptops and an Xbox in the house. Thinking of grabbing apple Tv too, so I want something central to simply stream files to the various PC's when I want.

Has anyone got this for a similar setup and had success? I was going to jump into a NAS but the fact this seems a bit more customisable seems win.

Also whats the noise like on it? Preferably need something that runs power efficent and quiet.

amahi (www.amahi.org) should do good for your needs. Apple tv I am not sure how about jailbreaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I had a quick look at Amahi over the weekend as I hadn't come across it before. It seems to have some issues with Fedora 14 as of yet. One thing I was surprised at was that their web app installers are all being charged for (not huge amounts $4 but still not free). In particular the DNLA one to allow someone to stream to Xbox/PS3 devices.

You may need some help to get this up and running fully if you are to au-fait with linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

ya spend a few hours yesterday setting this up. and come to the conclusion i didnt like it. didnt like the dncp server part of it at all. or the remote tunnel to the website, or the fact you have to pay for extras etc... was looking at this as a replacement version for windows 2k8 rc server... but tis much easier to configure and get off the ground quicker! 40 minutes windows install to fully up and running! took me 5 hours to get fedora on to the machine without a cd drive.. usb install and network install were a nightmare to get to run.. kept running into repository problems. got it up and running in the end but pain in the ass.

going to look at another os tonight. freebsd base install then tweak it a bit. used it before so should be quicker than fedora. (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

TheDoc wrote: »

I setup Ubuntu on a stock mini-pc with RAID1 setup and ran it headless for the usual server duties (music, remote backup, torrent etc...) . I don't see a hugely compelling reason to change to something more esoteric than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I just went and bought one, not because I need it mind, only because the price was so good. Lucky it's small as I should be able to sneak it past the missus without her noticing!

I just got an email to tell me my claim has been approved by HP and they will be sending me on a rebate cheque for €117 within 28 days.

Lots of thanks to the OP again for pointing this out to all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Yeah thanks OP. smiley_yeah.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

Just got my confirmation email too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

oreillykm wrote: »
    Just got my confirmation email too!

Yep, I just got confirmation of my first server rebate, 2nd one was only returned yesterday,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got mine ordered and was out for delivery today I think... no sign yet...
    Cheers OP
    Must put in the rebate tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this bargain alert got me wanting a new server, but the micro server wasn't beefy enough for my needs so in the end i caved in and bought thisHP ML110 G6 off Elara and i'll be sticking some extra ram in it to use as an ESXi host rather than having to run all my lab VM's in VMware workstation on my desktop PC.

Its only got 1gb of RAM with it for now (I've spares at home) and a dual core Pentium G6950 @ 2.8 GHz, which is decent for the price but it'll do for now and it turns out the CPU is one of the most overclockable that intel have done for years, so i've got room for improvement. :)

even if the motherboard isn't up for it, it'll still take one of the older core i5's so i should be grand and for less than €300 its still a bargain.

it's also got onboard iLO so it's hard to argue with the value for money. elara also do it's big brother with a quad core 2.4ghz Xeon and room for 16gb of ram, but it's a little too rich for my humble needs and my lab is never going to be highly utilised so there should be no problems oversubscribing the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

vibe666 wrote: »
    this bargain alert got me wanting a new server, but the micro server wasn't beefy enough for my needs so in the end i caved in and bought thisHP ML110 G6 off Elara and i'll be sticking some extra ram in it to use as an ESXi host rather than having to run all my lab VM's in VMware workstation on my desktop PC.

Its only got 1gb of RAM with it for now (I've spares at home) and a dual core Pentium G6950 @ 2.8 GHz, which is decent for the price but it'll do for now and it turns out the CPU is one of the most overclockable that intel have done for years, so i've got room for improvement. :)

even if the motherboard isn't up for it, it'll still take one of the older core i5's so i should be grand and for less than €300 its still a bargain.

it's also got onboard iLO so it's hard to argue with the value for money. elara also do it's big brother with a quad core 2.4ghz Xeon and room for 16gb of ram, but it's a little too rich for my humble needs and my lab is never going to be highly utilised so there should be no problems oversubscribing the resources.

I bought the same server for ESXi a few months ago and the HP DVDROM isn't compatible with VMware so I had to boot from a windows live cd and flash with an older Dell branded firmware which did the trick.I'm away from home at present so can't give you specific details but a quick google should give you all you need to know. :)

*edit* quick google gave me the firmware that you need -> http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R230035&formatcnt=0&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=330624

Also, the onboard RAID (Smart Array B110i) controller isn't supported in RAID mode by VMware so you'll have to change it in the BIOS to compatible i.e. JBOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks for the tips carbsy, i've got a few dvd drives laying around that i could try if i was stuck and i was planning on taking out the hdd altogether for use somewhere else and booting ESXi off USB and using iSCSI from my NAS for storage so no local storage required. :)

do you mind me asking how much ram have you got in it?

i've got some 4gb sticks, but i'm wondering if they're going to be any good as the spec says 8gb max (even on the hp site) and 4 ram slots so i'm not sure if it'll even let me put two 4g sticks in it or if i'll need to fork out for four 2gb sticks. :(

also, do you happen to know what internal fans it uses? i know the G5's were pretty noisy so i was thinking that i could get some silent fans to quieten it down a bit as its in an upstairs bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

vibe666 wrote: »
    thanks for the tips carbsy, i've got a few dvd drives laying around that i could try if i was stuck and i was planning on taking out the hdd altogether for use somewhere else and booting ESXi off USB and using iSCSI from my NAS for storage so no local storage required. :)

do you mind me asking how much ram have you got in it?

i've got some 4gb sticks, but i'm wondering if they're going to be any good as the spec says 8gb max (even on the hp site) and 4 ram slots so i'm not sure if it'll even let me put two 4g sticks in it or if i'll need to fork out for four 2gb sticks. :(

also, do you happen to know what internal fans it uses? i know the G5's were pretty noisy so i was thinking that i could get some silent fans to quieten it down a bit as its in an upstairs bedroom.

You're more than welcome.The ML110 G6 actually supports 16GB max i.e. 4 x 4GB.I currently have the stock 1GB and 2 x 4GB from crucial.com (need to check exact ratings when I go home but it's PC-10600 ECC iirc.I went with the ECC from crucial as I got burnt when I bought 2 x 4GB Corsair PC-10600 non ECC and the machine would not post with it installed.

It's a great box though and runs very quiet.I have ESXi v4.1 running on USB (it has internal USB port which is very handy) but I still needed the DVDROM to be compatible with VMware in order to install to the USB stick.I had 7 or 8 VMs running concurrently on the bog standard SATA 250GB and they're haven't been any issues to date although it's not ideal for disk access!

I bought a Synology DS-411Slim (great piece of kit, virtually silent and uses only 16 Watts in full use iirc) which I've configured for iSCSI use with the ML110 and it works like a charm.Very much a work in progress though at the moment as I'm away a lot but I'll keep adding lil' bits and bobs as I get time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

On the subject of HP ML110 - my one (G5) which was my old server before the Microserver, has just had a new lease of life :) cut the PCI-E x8 port to allow me install my existing desktops PCI-E video card in and bam! Dual DVI so its now my new desktop :) While the gfx card takes a hit, its grand as I'm now a PC gamer anymore, now that core2quad cpu I bought for it gets some real use!

...now to solve that 'sleep with fans on' issue

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

valen wrote: »

This guys name is on the Irish promotional rebate form so you could mail him and ask.

ian dot johnston at hp dot com

The extended promo is valid for Ireland.

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    The extended promo is valid for Ireland.

Is this in addition to the "Buy One Get One Free" offer you guys are going to do tomorrow? :D

• Advertisement

Is this in addition to the "Buy One Get One Free" offer you guys are going to do tomorrow? :D

slap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

To answer my own question, this does a great job running Unraid. Internal USB port too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭super_freddie

Hi,

Has anybody got their rebate cheque yet? No sign of mine, looks like they'll be using up their full 28 days between sending the email and writing the cheque!!

super_freddie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've got the acknowledgement email, but no cheque yet.

Has anyone recieved their rebate cheque yet?

I know they extended the offer till the end of April (its now €120 rebate) and the closing date for claiming the rebate is end of May now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jurisprudence

As with others I got my confirmation email but no cheque yet. In fairness when I bought it last month the form stated €117 back but the confirmation said €120 per the extended deal so at least thats something. Bought 2 of 'em so its a pint extra

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Might get a second one of these.

Where is the best price at the moment?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Out of interest, did others get a personalised email from a person, or was it an automated email?

There was a mix up with mine in the post so I emailed it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

joe250 wrote: »
    Might get a second one of these.

Where is the best price at the moment?

Elara if you are buying in Ireland at the mo price : 268.62 Incl Vat
    222 ex Vat otherwise.
    Seriously thinking about buying one before the offer ends tomorrow!
    Doing up a price list of
    the microserver /64GB SSD/4x2TB disks/8GB of ram thinking about installing NexentaStor Community Edition on it.

Main use will be for presenting storage to my vSphere lab and storing a crap load of films and various backups.

Alternatives that I'm thinking about another Qnap or Synology nas box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Wow, missed out on this one. Kicking myself for not paying off my CC bill sooner :mad:

Advertisement