Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

HP ProLiant MicroServer

• 11-03-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

Just took delivery of one of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253305) from eBuyer. The ebuyer cost is 240 pounds - but you get a cheque back for 100 pounds from the supplier directly. So, 140 pounds. 4 bays for drives and no OS - ideal as a NAS maybe? Am gonna throw linux on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thats an interesting find alright, must look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Ebuyer don't deliver to Ireland anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Saadyst wrote: »
    Ebuyer don't deliver to Ireland anymore :(

When did that happen? They still list Ireland for delivery.

http://www.ebuyer.com/help/delivery

More info here, confirmed by ebuyer staff. Due to changes in UK(?) Vat laws. Apparently this may affect more than just Ebuyer.
    http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?71163-Ebuyer-stopped-delivery-to-Ireland-why

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's due to a longstanding EU-wide VAT rule - once you reach a threshold in terms of selling to a particular country you have to charge that country's VAT rate on sales to that country rather than your own rate.

That's why Amazon prices change slightly once you actually start to checkout - it applies the Irish VAT rates. Plenty of German sites handle this without issue as well.

Thanks for explanation Parsi. At least it doesn't mean Amazon will cease shipping here completely. Or dabs.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

If its worth the retailers while they'll continue to ship. Money talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

the cashback is only applies to the UK,

See point 2 here

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/proliantmicroserver/pdf/PA0023-50off_Microserver_Offer_MAR_2011.pdf

for this reason i got 2 delivered to my bro in london free

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oreillykm

I'm based in Dublin, I used Google Checkout to pay and it was delivered. I got in touch with HP before buying it and they mailed me an Irish claim form, worth €117 or £100 cash back. It's valid 'til end of month - so mail HP, get the form and then buy. If you can't get eBuyer to deliver then check out other etailers to see if they will offer the cash back - it isn't exclusive to them! Hope this helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Says it only does RAID1 or 0 - if it takes 4 drives I would expect it to do RAID5. 200 watt power supply but some reviews talk about it having a low power usage idle.

By the time drives are installed etc then I would recommend just getting a dedicated NAS box - unless there are more things you want to use it for.

Supports virtualization too but likely a software RAID controller so virtual OS likely may not see the RAID config's and would pick them up as a JBOD.

Overall though it looks like a nice little box and well worth a punt if you can get the cash back.

€303 on dabs

Dabs.ie link

No mention of the cashback though but if its through HP directly then it should probably still apply.

Elara are cheaper again if the cashback applies from HP Ireland. €284 less €117 = €167. So tempted...

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullop.asp?productcode=MME9433D4Y#spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

oreillykm wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin, I used Google Checkout to pay and it was delivered. I got in touch with HP before buying it and they mailed me an Irish claim form, worth €117 or £100 cash back. It's valid 'til end of month - so mail HP, get the form and then buy. If you can't get eBuyer to deliver then check out other etailers to see if they will offer the cash back - it isn't exclusive to them! Hope this helps?

What address did you email? Did they send is snail mail or email?

Cheers,

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its neat machine but I can't help thinking a small regular tower would be a better deal.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=&sortby=nameAsc&categoryid=1078

Their Primo line maybe?

paddyp wrote: »
    What address did you email? Did they send is snail mail or email?

Cheers,

Paddy

It was email, but it is a person's email and i don't think he would thank me for putting it on a public site. I'll PM it to you.

BostonB wrote: »
    Its neat machine but I can't help thinking a small regular tower would be a better deal.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=&sortby=nameAsc&categoryid=1078

Their Primo line maybe?
    It would pay for itself over a year or two through electricity compared to running one of those all day.

I currently run a thinclient with usb drive for my homeserver it draws less than 20w peak and as little as 6w when the drive spins down. Most of that is inefficiency in the power adapter. It paid for itself in three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

oreillykm wrote: »
    It was email, but it is a person's email and i don't think he would thank me for putting it on a public site. I'll PM it to you.

Don't suppose you'd put the form up on rapidshare or something similar?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Don't suppose you'd put the form up on rapidshare or something similar?
    or even use the "Attach Files" option to add it to his original post (or a new post if that doesn't work).
    Valid file extensions: bmp doc docx gif jpe jpeg jpg kmz pdf png psd sc2replay txt xls xlsx zip

i'd have been interested in the HP Proliant ML110 at a good price as they do turn up occasionally, but that would be a little bit underpowered for my needs. :(

might make a good mini nas tho, or firewall box.

Rapidshare didn't work for me, so it's attached instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gordonl

I'd be interested in getting one of these, but i'm a little concerned about the PSU.
    Does anyone know if it's a FlexATX or some kind of proprietary HP thing?

gordonl wrote: »
    know if it's a FlexATX or some kind of proprietary HP thing?

http://www.google.ie/search?&q=microserver+flexatx+proliant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Has anyone bought this? Any problems buying from a UK reseller, but claiming the Irish discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I bought one of these from elara.ie at the start of february.
    I added a HP P410 8 port Smart Array raid card and put a 4 x 2.5 inch drive tray where the space for a cd/dvd was. I now have 4 x 2TB in raid 5 setup in the main 4 bays, and 4 x 500GB in raid 5 setup in the optical drive bay space, with another 500GB sitting on top of this tray for the OS. So I have 2 raid 5 arrays of 5.45TB and 1.32TB formatted capacity. I use it to store my media. It replaces a cheap 4TB NAS box I had that had no room for expansion. Great little box. :)

I also replaced the 1GB of RAM with 2 x 4GB dimms for 8GB RAM. I'm running Win2008 R2 on it.

Any photos of that especially the 4 x 2.5 inch drive tray?

This is the 4 bay 5.25 inch unit.
    SAS/SATA Back Plane System for 4 x 2.5" Hard Drives

KINGSTON KVR1333D3E9S/4G 55euro each. So 110 Total.

EDIT: The link to the RAM above was one I came across but i did not buy that. I bought elsewhere but cant find the link now.
    The 4 bay unit I have is the one above.

Sweet. Why the mini raid. Is it for redundancy or speed or capacity?

BostonB wrote: »
    Sweet. Why the mini raid. Is it for redundancy or speed or capacity?

I know I could have used another 2 x 2TB in the optical disk space by using a similar type sled but I wanted to seperate my media array from my personal stuff, pc backups, etc...The capacity is more than enough for that...Plus I still have the motherboard sata connector for another 4 ports which I'm thinking of bringing out to attach to an external 4 bay enclosure when I need to expand...

EDIT: I could use something like this...

I love the 2.5" drive array idea. Puts mine to shame now :)

Mine is running Vmware Esxi now with Freenas(zfs), server 2008 and Ubuntu.

Nice little box for the form factor and price.

Heres the Ram I used as an alternative

Crucial

4 x of these drives

WD Caviar Green

Hopefully, by the time I run out of storage space elsewhere, those new 1TB 2.5 inch disks will have fallen enough in price for me to replace the 500GB drives...
    May be possible to end up with 8 x 3TB and 4 x 1TB running from that box ( with the use of an external enclosure )...If the power supply can cope with it...Dont see why not...Should last longer than my last NAS hopefully... :D

For anyone interested in the microserver there is lots of great info and ideas on this thread.

Also more info here.

• Advertisement

I just went looking for one of these for a friend but Elara are of stock and so are some of the others that were linked.

Dabs have put the price up by €10 to €313. Does anyone know of anywhere else selling them for about the €284 price that Elara were charging and in stock?

Thanks.

Advertisement