Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

Yeah, just under a month for me... a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Can't post link yet because of posts total but Pixmania selling the Gen 8 now for €299 inc VAT (versus say €464 on Misco).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Can't post link yet because of posts total but Pixmania selling the Gen 8 now for €299 inc VAT (versus say €464 on Misco).

I would never deal with Pixnania again after the hassle of returning stuff a while ago. Cowboys.

stimpson wrote: »
    I would never deal with Pixnania again after the hassle of returning stuff a while ago. Cowboys.

Right? Well too late I've pulled the trigger, we'll see how it turns out, seems a super price in comparison to others I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Right? Well too late I've pulled the trigger, we'll see how it turns out, seems a super price in comparison to others I've seen

Dont be too worried,
    I have bought from Pixmania several times and never had an issue with them.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Dont be too worried,

Thanks, I'm not worried at all, I've used them myself plenty, you'll always find someone who has had a bad experience with any company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

vectra wrote: »
    Dont be too worried,

The problems with pixmania tend to only start when there is an issue. and then they really start. their customer service is terrible.

Beano wrote: »
    The problems with pixmania tend to only start when there is an issue. and then they really start. their customer service is terrible.

They refused to refund my postage when I sent back a camera that was DOA. It was sent to France and cost €50 to send via courier. They offered me €10, despite not having anything about a limit anywhere on their site, and their returns page stating they would refund postage costs.

2 weeks of emailing their head of Customer service did nothing to change their mind. When I started copying their CEO and GM on the mails it got sorted very quickly. Never did business with them again. Plenty of people on boards have had similar experiences.

That's why I like Amazon - free return postage labels and instant refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Hoping the cashback offer comes available again. I think one of these would be a better option that say the DS415Play by Synology.

General doc backup, media backup, medai streaming, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

jammer84 wrote: »
    better option that say the DS415Play by Synology.

At the price of that Synology you can get HP Proliant G8 which is superb machine compare to G7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

zom wrote: »
    At the price of that Synology you can get HP Proliant G8 which is superb machine compare to G7.

That's what I'm thinking. G2020 model and load it up with 16GB RAM and a few drives.

Will do for all storage needs and streaming, etc

Will look into the power consumption to have on 24/7 as currently have a revo on 24/7 and use for all downloading and media playing to the tv, etc starting to push it too far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Is there a site that lists power consumption?

Or how do ye guys work it out?

jammer84 wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking. G2020 model and load it up with 16GB RAM and a few drives.

You can mod it like crazy, it is socket 1155 and you can install Xeon there if you like:

https://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

No such fun with G7.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Anyone know where the best deal on a N54L is at present? Any sign of cashback deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the best deal on a N54L is at present? Any sign of cashback deals?

I have a brand new in the box I'm thinking of selling. Picked it up around a month ago as an impulse purchase if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

I have a brand new in the box I'm thinking of selling. Picked it up around a month ago as an impulse purchase if you're interested

How much are you looking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I would be interested, how much?

HP G1610T 150W PS ProLiant Gen8 Micro Server at Amazon for £189.90 & FREE Delivery in the UK ( Sorry, we can't deliver this item to Ireland - but this, I presume, can be sorted with Parcel Motel)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-G1610T-ProLiant-Micro-Server/dp/B00DDIC1DA

Tempting I have to say, but I bought some computers recently and have to resist this temptation. But surely would buy it if it happen like 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

That's actually a great buy, you can upgrade the cpu to an E3 Xeon (perfect for virtualisation) in these afaik and they will take 16gb of ram which will give you quite a respectable little server. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

zom wrote: »
    HP G1610T 150W PS ProLiant Gen8 Micro Server at Amazon for £189.90 & FREE Delivery in the UK ( Sorry, we can't deliver this item to Ireland - but this, I presume, can be sorted with Parcel Motel)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-G1610T-ProLiant-Micro-Server/dp/B00DDIC1DA

Tempting I have to say, but I bought some computers recently and have to resist this temptation. But surely would buy it if it happen like 2 months ago.

Showing delivery available to Ireland now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭zweton

would love this, tempted. max of 16 gb? scratch that i just read the review :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

zweton wrote: »
    would love this, tempted. max of 16 gb? scratch that i just read the review :-)

yeah, few people online tried 32gb, but nobody able to find anything that works yet. shame really, a xeon and 32gb of ram would have made it a formidable little beast of a thing.

still 16gb is respectable enough for a small home lab and that xeon will make all the difference if you're running some VM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Back up to £209 now..

The gen8 is a sexy looking beast for sure, but there is no custom firmware, so no hot swappable drives.

Also, it has some weird custom fan connector so there is no way to install an aftermarket fan. Apparently the fan fitted makes a lot of noise and any slowdown in its speed causes the unit to shutdown. Oh, and because of its custom cooling, you are limited when it comes to installing faster CPUs due to TDP issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭zweton

is this one the newest/latest spec? am thinking of geting it for home labs, presume it would be ok for virtualisation.

Yeah, the Gen8 is the latest and greatest. It would be my choice for virtualisation. The Gen 7 makes a better media server imho.

The gen8 is a sexy looking beast .

if you need sexy beast go and buy apple<

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Just wondering if anyone has had success adding an external enclosure to the N54L using the rear esata port?
    I currently have 3 x 3TB drives (One is a parity) and 1 x 2TB drive in the internal enclosure with the original 250GB drive installed to the top enclosure. I am running Flexraid and am running out of space and I was just thinking that it would be handy if I could swap out the parity drive for a new 4TB model and stick the spare 3TB drive into an external enclosure instead of having to swap it for the 2TB drive which would render the 2 TB drive defunct.
    Hope I have explained myself, any help would be much appreciated.

johnybean wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had success adding an external enclosure to the N54L using the rear esata port?
    I currently have 3 x 3TB drives (One is a parity) and 1 x 2TB drive in the internal enclosure with the original 250GB drive installed to the top enclosure. I am running Flexraid and am running out of space and I was just thinking that it would be handy if I could swap out the parity drive for a new 4TB model and stick the spare 3TB drive into an external enclosure instead of having to swap it for the 2TB drive which would render the 2 TB drive defunct.
    Hope I have explained myself, any help would be much appreciated.

I have the older version of this http://eu.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/4-Bay-External-Hard-Drive-Array-RAID-Tower-eSATA-USB-3-Enclosure~SAT3540U3ER (USB2 as opposed to USB3). If you have the custom firmware on the microserver it works 100%. You get full SATA speeds if you're accessing one drive at a time, but the bandwidh gets divided up if you're accessing multiple drives simultaneously.

I have 3x3tb and room for 2 more so I don't think I'll be using it. I could stick it up on Adverts if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I have the older version of this http://eu.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/4-Bay-External-Hard-Drive-Array-RAID-Tower-eSATA-USB-3-Enclosure~SAT3540U3ER (USB2 as opposed to USB3). If you have the custom firmware on the microserver it works 100%. You get full SATA speeds if you're accessing one drive at a time, but the bandwidh gets divided up if you're accessing multiple drives simultaneously.

I have 3x3tb and room for 2 more so I don't think I'll be using it. I could stick it up on Adverts if you're interested.

Thanks for coming back so quickly (I knew I could rely on Stimpson :cool:)

So

1. Is that enclosure attached to the e-sata port?
    2. I have my drives set up in Flexraid with drive pooling so my 4 drives (3 storage and 1 parity) all appear as one large pooled drive. Do you know if I will be able to add drives 1 at a time to the enclosure and just add them to the drive pool without issue.
    3. Its all media thats stored on the drives so if more than 1 drive is being accessed (I have a number of users on the network and there could be up to 4 simultaneous 8GB movies playing at one time (worst case scenario) and I going to get caught with bandwith?)
    4. Can the modded BIOS be flashed to an already operational system without causing any issues to the existing setup (windows 7 with Flexraid?)
    5. Is the trans-Neptunian panic zone far from Athlone :D

Advertisement