Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a good videocard for my new computer

Options
  • 28-04-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just ordered the following from Holland (will be delivered tomorrow at my adress in Holland) and the only thing i'm looking for is a good videocard.
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer
    Kingston HyperX FURY Black Series DDR3 8GB- Geheugen
    Intel Core i7-4790 Boxed
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Thermaltake SMART SE 730W - Voeding ( intern )
    Samsung 850 EVO Series - Solid state drive
    WD Red WD10EFRX 1TB- Vaste schijf

I was looking into:
    Asus STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5

But is there a better videocard for about the same price (600 euros) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Whats the new monitor? What resolution is it?

If its 1080p/60htz you wont see a big difference in performance between the GTX980 and the much more reasonably priced GTX970 and R9 290, so could saved yourself a bit of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Lu Tze wrote:
    If its 1080p/60htz you wont see a big difference in performance between the GTX980 and the much more reasonably priced GTX970 and R9 290, so could saved yourself a bit of cash.

At the moment 1080p but will be upgrading to 4k later this year

will the R9 290X be good enough for blackops 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Good Lord, what is that monstrosity costing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Crossfire AMD cards are preferable to nVidia at high resolutions like 4K. 290s are about 580 to crossfire iirc, 290x are about 700 a pair.

Even single card setups, AMD outperform nVidia at anything above 1440p.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Good Lord, what is that monstrosity costing you?

I paid 1542,30 exc 6,95 shipping and excluding videocard

Crossfire AMD cards are preferable to nVidia at high resolutions like 4K. 290s are about 580 to crossfire iirc, 290x are about 700 a pair.

Even single card setups, AMD outperform nVidia at anything above 1440p.

I was thinking of keeping it single for now if i get this one:

Club 3D Radeon R9 290X 4GB royalAce 290,00

the good thing is, i can sent things back and change my order even the parts already arrived :) my aunt sent the psu back and I will be getting the: Sea Sonic Platinum Series 760 - Voeding ( intern ) instead :)

So i paid a bit more for getting this one, but my friend said it should get this one instead of the thermaltake i got before.

About the case, well I havn't seen it yet.. it looks cool on pictures but if I dont like it I can just sent it back and take another case :)
    will be in Holland next week so I will see what of the parts I do and Don't like

Single card will do you, getting about 60fps (not as important at 4k) will need an SLI/CF

http://www.eteknix.com/4k-gaming-showdown-amd-r9-290x-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-sli/10/

There's a source for that I said, CF 290x match 780Ti SLI at half the price, and outperform a Titan

Assuming you're buying from hwvs? XFX Double Dissipation might be worth €20 for cooling, unless you already have a good set up

Single card will do you, getting about 60fps (not as important at 4k) will need an SLI/CF

http://www.eteknix.com/4k-gaming-showdown-amd-r9-290x-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-sli/10/

There's a source for that I said, CF 290x match 780Ti SLI at half the price, and outperform a Titan

hmmm not bad :) i think i will get the 290x instead

• Advertisement

Assuming you're buying from hwvs? XFX Double Dissipation might be worth €20 for cooling, unless you already have a good set up

No i buy from a dutch store :)

Ah okay, that's just where I was pulling my prices from. Don't recommend Sapphire cards, way expensive for realistically the same thing.

Ah okay, that's just where I was pulling my prices from. Don't recommend Sapphire cards, way expensive for realistically the same thing.

yeah i know :)
    well its about the same in holland, some parts are cheaper but I also have a dutch adres so I can get the parts there, put it together and sent it over to HP (my work) pick it up there :)

only thing I will not build in is the HDD, will take it back by plane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Only Think I see wrong with that is the WD Red. Not really worth getting a red forsuch a low capacity. Plus 1TB by todays standards wont last long. Is there any reason you need 32GB ram? Just wondering because i use ram heavy applications and I only have 32. The cost of 32gb outweighs the rewards. If you drop the extra 16gb you could have put it into gfx budget and get a 295x2

Recurve360 wrote:
    Only Think I see wrong with that is the WD Red. Not really worth getting a red forsuch a low capacity. Plus 1TB by todays standards wont last long. Is there any reason you need 32GB ram? Just wondering because i use ram heavy applications and I only have 32. The cost of 32gb outweighs the rewards. If you drop the extra 16gb you could have put it into gfx budget and get a 295x2

The red is way more stable and less chance for losing data which is important for me.
    I don't even need 1TB I could handle 250/500GB without any issue.

Well I can still get a 295x2 if I want to, money isn't the issue really

changed my mind! will be getting a 390x instead :)

Advertisement