Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

what age are you mastersun as do they not take this into account when undertaking the eye test
    I'm turning 20 next month,
    they don't take age in acc.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

MasterSun wrote: »
    I'm turning 20 next month,
    they don't take age in acc.

Did they tell you which eye was the problem or did they say that both needed to be corrected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I'm currently waiting on background checks since march but recently I've been sent another form to fill out and send back.

I'm to give details of my voluntary work within the community and list my educational achievements so far.

Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

lehanemore wrote: »
    I'm currently waiting on background checks since march but recently I've been sent another form to fill out and send back.

I'm to give details of my voluntary work within the community and list my educational achievements so far.

Anyone else get this?

No lehanemore, I never received this form while waiting for my checks to clear. I thought these two items would have been covered through the GR2 form and interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

I might be wrong but I received a second form to complete , however this was due to me having to apply for an exemption from the leaving certificate ! Still waiting :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Story1970 wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I received a second form to complete , however this was due to me having to apply for an exemption from the leaving certificate ! Still waiting :confused:

I was thinking that was it alright, I'm in the same boat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Dont worry I got the second form too, didnt have leaving, all went well as I had other courses done. Nearly completed pahse 4 now. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Im still waiting on backround checks since march... Any 1 got word on backround checks latly?? Or did any1 get called for the medical shortly?:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

I'm waiting on background checks too but only since June so I'd say i've a while to wait yet! I haven't had a meeting with the super yet, have you done that Tommy-Kerry?

I'm waiting on background checks too but only since June so I'd say i've a while to wait yet! I haven't had a meeting with the super yet, have you done that Tommy-Kerry?

I have about 2 months ago... I hope im not waiting long more its very headwrecking !!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

have my medical the 6th august, if i pass start training on the 9th August.

just wondering though do i travel to templemore of the friday night or saturday morning? where do we stay? also have to drive to dublin on sunday night as have garda interview the next day?

from the north west, and when i drive to dublin only have to go as far as liffey valley as i turn off the parkwest, however coming from templemore which side of dublin will i be coming into?

going to look it up on the aa website now.

not looking forward to medical as at moment my weight is going to be a problem but the last few days doing an hour in the gym, half hour in the pool and plan to do this for the next 2 weeks and have cut back on the crap food.

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    thanks leinsterdude, had look at map yesterday

will drive to athlone, which is grand have done numerous trips to there and then onto templemore, was planning to drive back to athlone, then to longford and onto dublin, last time i was on the red cow it was mental and dont really fancy that, i know it is a longer route but i know the road and just might be easier, it will be only a once off, staying in parkwest as a friend lives there and will get luas into jervis street on monday morning.

diet ? i hate them love my food way too much, am working out though so we will see. am doing an hour in the gym with half hour in the pool after. mostly cardio in gym and some weights but not a huge amount yet. at mo just want to concentrate on cardio.
    thanks for the advice

Wouldn't do any harm to check your BMI, just goolge it and put in your height and weight. The doctor will check both during the medical, going by orther threads they don't like to see higher than 30.

I'm travelling down on the 8th as well, hope to meet you there, best of luck with the medical. Any questions on same just ask or pm me.

my bmi is over 30 but am working on so fingers crossed.

did medical for reserve when they were first recruiting and my bmi was just above 30 and i passed, so fingers crossed

Thanks mountain Man good luck ! :rolleyes:

have my medical on the 6th and if i pass will be going down to templemore on the 8th also, very anxious looking forward to it also, next week is going to be mad.

is there many going down from here?

well ended up deferring my medical till the mext batch which will be in september some time, glad i did as will give me more time to lower my bmi, good luck on saturday, let us know how you get on.

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    well ended up deferring my medical till the mext batch which will be in september some time, glad i did as will give me more time to lower my bmi, good luck on saturday, let us know how you get on.

Many thanks and I will definitely let you know how it all went.

Has anyone ever been called for a medical before being told that their background checks have been completed?

Background checks ! Thats was holding me up at the moment , spoke to the GR dept who advised that until these were complete I would not be able to take the medical !! :confused: it's now a year since I completed the written exam and Interview and still waiting :mad:

I hope I dont have to wait that long!!:(

Is the medical for the GR the same as the medical for the full timers? If so then do GR members who apply for the full timers have to do the medical again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

I hope I dont have to wait that long!!:(

Is the medical for the GR the same as the medical for the full timers? If so then do GR members who apply for the full timers have to do the medical again?

Yeah its exactly the same. No PCT tho for the Reserve. I applied for the full time and have my medical coming up. So yeah you must do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

thanks for that mountain man.that gives me a bit more reassurance.don't feel as bad now knowing someone else has had as long a wait.at least now i don't have to contact the ''guinness book of records'' ha ha.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Only have my medical to go now & I am bricking it...

I dunno why, just don't like doctors! :P
    Excited/nervous though..

But I'm scheduled to go down on the 20th of September if I pass :)

I live in Dublin & I just wanted to know how to get down there... Is there an early train & stuff??
    I have no one to drive me so early so I was gonna go down the night before & stay somewhere...
    I really have no clue about how to get down to Templemore!

Yay, just passed my medical :)

September 20th should be brilliant!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Jeanxx wrote: »

Ya it's a great experience,

enjoy it!

Thank you!

Was convinced I was gonna fail the medical somehow... :P
    Wasn't half as bad as I thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

Congrats... I also got word today I'd passed and will be going to TM 20/21 Sept

Thank you!

Was convinced I was gonna fail the medical somehow... :P
    Wasn't half as bad as I thought :)

Hey... congrats.... When did you apply for the reserves??

Thank you :)

I originally applied in Dec 07 & got word in April 08 so not too bad compared to some people's applications. I was talking to a girl who was doing her medical with me today & she applied two years ago! Said she completely forgot about it.

Marymulr - Congrats :D
    I heard our group are really lovely & a bunch of characters from what I was told :) Heard there's only 30 too... Really looking forward to it!

Gonna have to buy a little suitcase... Lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

Thank you :)

I originally applied in Dec 07 & got word in April 08 so not too bad compared to some people's applications. I was talking to a girl who was doing her medical with me today & she applied two years ago! Said she completely forgot about it.

Marymulr - Congrats :D
    I heard our group are really lovely & a bunch of characters from what I was told :) Heard there's only 30 too... Really looking forward to it!

Gonna have to buy a little suitcase... Lol :)

Hi Jeanxx, yeah am looking forward to it, should be good fun. Had to apply for a long form Birth Certificate, hopefully it'll arrive in time for next saturday!:)

Advertisement