Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

catalytic converter- how to know if its gone

• 12-03-2011 7:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

car has 125000 miles. 1.4 hdi Diesel. she is down on power and seems to have gotten heavier on diesel. already changed air flow mass meter and its not that. any way to check to see if its the cat is gone instead of fitting a new one first incase its not that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

It wont be gone just turned so that the flow through is blocked, the structure is spherical in shape.
    You could try a short run with it loosened at the clamp and see that it remedys the problem.
    Most mechanics would be able to test this for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

car has 125000 miles. 1.4 hdi Diesel. she is down on power and seems to have gotten heavier on diesel. already changed air flow mass meter and its not that. any way to check to see if its the cat is gone instead of fitting a new one first incase its not that

If you're driving a diesel car that has been fitted with a catalytic converter I'd bring it back to the dealer, since something obviously went terribly wrong when it was built!;)

All modern diesels have catalytic converters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Instead of getting a new one use a straight piece of pipe until the next NCT. this will save fuel as well as wear on your new cat

They are not a requirement currently for the NCT diesel smoke test

• Advertisement

crosshair1 wrote: »

Really?
    They must be a brand new thing.
    I have heard of DPF's in diesels and catalytic converters in petrol, but never the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Lots of independent garages have emissions testing equipment - for maybe €30 they'll be able to tell you if your emissions are high or not. If they're not high, chances are that your cat is good. I failed a first NCT for CO (0.24%) on my recently-purchased car and then found that the main CAT was dust. When I put a replacement in, the CO was 0.00.

Is the engine heating up? If thermostat is failed, it'll be overfuelling all the time.

No not new at all, think I remember a 94/95 isuzu engined vectra having one, 97ish on caddy vans definitely had them fitted (and usually blocked)

Most dpf fitted vehicles also have a catalytic converter fitted upstream, and sometimes within the same housing.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    it'll be overfuelling all the time.

Its a diesel, they run with excess air so overfuelling is not really an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

You can feel the exhaust pressure by putting your hand over the exhaust and if it is slow to build then there is likely an upstream blockage. Disconnect the exhaust from the turbo and drive the car and see how it goes.

I would say though that other things are likely to cause that engine to be sluggish. I'd look for a clogged inlet manifold, EGR stuck open, sticky waste gate, weak turbo, or partially clogged fuel filter. OP, have you had the car scanned for fault codes and the live data read?
    Really?
    They must be a brand new thing.
    I have heard of DPF's in diesels and catalytic converters in petrol, but never the other way round.

Nope, CAT's on diesels have been around for some time! Earliest diesel I've come across was a 1999 Astra G.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Lots of independent garages have emissions testing equipment - for maybe €30 they'll be able to tell you if your emissions are high or not. If they're not high, chances are that your cat is good. I failed a first NCT for CO (0.24%) on my recently-purchased car and then found that the main CAT was dust. When I put a replacement in, the CO was 0.00.

Is the engine heating up? If thermostat is failed, it'll be overfuelling all the time.
    great advice if the OP's car was a petrol...!! :D

• Advertisement

crosshair1 wrote: »
    No not new at all, think I remember a 94/95 isuzu engined vectra having one, 97ish on caddy vans definitely had them fitted (and usually blocked)

Most dpf fitted vehicles also have a catalytic converter fitted upstream, and sometimes within the same housing.

Why didn't anybody tell me!:cool:
    Well, learnt something new today, no doubt this will have pushed something old out of my brain.:o

Advertisement