Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow Card for post in Shane Lowry Thread Golf

• 07-10-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭

Post received yellow card.

Once a bully - always a bully.

Seen it in school .

I think there should be a rule on here about talking about a golfers weight - you can't even talk about gambling. Yet you can give Ireland's leading pro stick over his weight.

Maybe - Shane is a so called outlier - Like Ian Woosnam - I bet Ian - had to hear you are too short, all his life - **** them anyway Ian - as he stuck on a green jacket.

Please see post above I got a yellow card for.

Background.

At present people are joking about a golfer's weight in Golf Forum - this is being tolerated for some reason - I have requested that this should be made off topic. This has fallen on deaf ears and even worse - an attempt is being made to remove me from the forum.

I'm really uneasy that BOARDS.IE - will tolerate discussion about anybodies weight in a golf forum - it is a well know issue in the bullying area and it needs to be stopped.

The post above (yellow card post) gave another example - and how some sports stars use this as a motivating factor. Yes perhaps the language is poor - but it is an emotive issue.

I'm taking this stance for other posters on the golf forum that may have been bullied on this issue and may have image insecurities still over it.

This is a serious issue and hope that the moderator of the forum can look beyond our own personal differences.

Action

Want card removed
    Weight issue not to be discussed - similar to nationality with Rory Mcilroy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi,

Can I ask if you've reached out to the Mod who has issued the card and tried to resolve it in that manner, as per the 1st step in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I ask if you've reached out to the Mod who has issued the card and tried to resolve it in that manner, as per the 1st step in the process?

He ignores me on forum and in pm - we have not communicated effectively in over a year.

I have requested him to remove card yes.

Hi,

Since you've picked up two cards in the Shane Lowry thread, I'm going to look at both.

Firstly, the yellow, you've basically come out and accused the thread of bullying Lowry, this isnt the case. The guys making the point he could lose a few pounds and move on to the next level are simply stating an opinion, I dont see this as bullying as it stands to reason, the better physically you are, the greater you will become at a physical sport. I think your post is an attack on the people posting in it, nobody I can see from glancing at the thread, is openly joking about Lowry or his weight, if they are, report them, dont take it upon yourself to moderate the thread.

So the yellow card stands.

Secondly, the red card, GreeBo has asked you to follow the correct channels if you have an issue, PM a mod, report posts, etc etc, you choose to continue the debate and take a pop at the moderation, a site wide no-no.

So for this, the red card stands.

The rest of your issues namely the below,
    At present people are joking about a golfer's weight in Golf Forum - this is being tolerated for some reason - I have requested that this should be made off topic. This has fallen on deaf ears and even worse - an attempt is being made to remove me from the forum.

I'm really uneasy that BOARDS.IE - will tolerate discussion about anybodies weight in a golf forum - it is a well know issue in the bullying area and it needs to be stopped.

The post above (yellow card post) gave another example - and how some sports stars use this as a motivating factor. Yes perhaps the language is poor - but it is an emotive issue.

I'm taking this stance for other posters on the golf forum that may have been bullied on this issue and may have image insecurities still over it.

This is a serious issue and hope that the moderator of the forum can look beyond our own personal differences

Is an issue for the feedback forum, IMO.

Now, you can ask an Admin to review my decision regarding the yellow and red cards if you wish.

Gav - thanks,

I'm going to take time to reflect on this - but some of the issues at stake, are specific to golf. I note you are a mod on a soccer forum.

I accept the principle of the red card - but the moderation on the golf forum has been problematic for a prolonged period at this stage. Hopefully this is resolved for the good of the Golf forum posters - but this is not looking hopeful. It remains an unpleasant place.

I would encourage you to look a bit deeper into the thread as opposed to a "glance" .

If you don't see some of the posts as problematic - I think I will have to move onto a higher level

I simply do not believe the thread is acceptable to BOARDS.IE.

The thread is a joke at this stage. Have a bit more of a look.

Again - I will reflect.

I'm sorry but the DR is only for issue regarding cards, if you accept the cards I can get this locked and then you have other options.

If you feel the moderation of the Golf Forum isnt up to standard and have specific points to be made please do so in a constructive manner in the Feedback forum over here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

The feedback forum is the correct place to voice your concerns as I said, I'm only looking at the thread to see your input and contribution as the DR is for dealing with a users specific cards or actions and not the moderation.

• Advertisement

Gav I accepted the red .

BUT -

The yellow card was the instigator. Similar to a football match.

The yellow card was entirely illogical as Ian Woosnam was The Masters winner in 1991 - to
    Use language that mods and Boards are deeming acceptable.
    He is a short little fat guy.

So how on earth could a story from 1991 be deemed as personal abuse to anybody in the thread.

Again . I would expect this to be an honest process.

So I would like someone to review thread and deem all comments as something Boards deem appropriate.

If this is done . I'll reflect on yellow.

But this is more important than me or a yellow.

It is a principled position.

so . Again . This is not resolved.

I'm going to ask an Admin to review the yellow card so for you.

Sorry - any chance this issue can be resolved.

Sorry - any chance this issue can be resolved.

It is marked for an Admins attention currently so once they review it theyll post back here, please be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gav I accepted the red .

BUT -

The yellow card was the instigator. Similar to a football match.
    As mentioned, the yellow/red cards are what is in dispute here. The yellow card that you're disputing is a warning, aka guidance and I agree with GavRedKing/Greebo for the reasons that you received the warning, so it won't be lifted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement