Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SJ4000 1080p Waterproof Action Cam (GoPro Alt) - €58.94 Delivered [Aliexpress.com]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Looks good. Much cheaper than a GoPro. I have the GoPro Hero 3 silver. Handy as a spare I imagine. The fisheye would bother me, no way of changing that according to the youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Techmoan.com has a great review of this camera, that's why I bought one from Foxoffer. Very happy with it😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Seems like a great price, had also seen techmoans review. Now just to wait two months to receive it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I paid the extra €15.50 to EMS. So hopefully I'll see it next week.
    I wanted it for a few things coming up, hopefully it'll get here before the first.

I think the Techmoan video is in the links above. The SJ1000 was great, no real complaints with it, So I'm hoping this will be better, and by the looks of the reviews, it is.
    The Fisheye was the same in the first two Go Pro's wasn't it? I didn't realise it was an option in the new one, but that wouldn't bother me, the opposite in fact.
    It's easy to "fix" (For lack of better words) - Just edit them through any decent software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭U2Flyboy

I have the SJ1000 and find picture quality fine but the mounts are very flimsy and I find it almost impossible to brace the camera to prevent vibration. The SJ4000 mounts look like a straight swap for GoPro Hero mounts so hopefully better. Also, no image stabilisation but for the money its fine.

One thing...will you be hit for import duty from Aliexpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Oooh. Added to Ali wish list. Very very tempted as I sold my gopro last year and didn't want to spend gopro money again. This could solve that problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have a contour roam2 already...but want this too for some reason! There's far more mounts, and it can be used as an in car cam... Hmmm damn you BA....someone tell me why I shouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Been looking for something like this a while now.. Wound up going for it, then getting EMS shipping.

Previews of the video seem decent, hopefully I'm just as happy when it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tosty55

I have the SJ4000 and it is amazing, for the price. All of the mounts you get come in handy, and it also works good as a car dash cam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I bought this a few months ago too, after seeing techmoan's review. With 2 extra batteries and being compatible with gopro mounts it really is a no brainer.

As an added bonus there was a glitch in the matrix and foxoffer duplicated my order while only taking one paypal payment. The second camera arrived about 6 weeks after the first much to my surprise/delight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Very tempted by this. What about import tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Also sd cards, am I right in thinking you need a pretty fast one for use with these cameras... Relatively pricey last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Anyone know if this camera has motion detection for taking remote wildlife shots? Can screen be turned off to save battery power while recording? Sounds like a great piece of kit.

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this camera has motion detection for taking remote wildlife shots? Can screen be turned off to save battery power while recording? Sounds like a great piece of kit.
    It seems to have both options

http://actioncamfaq.com/2014/01/11/sj4000-setup-menu-options/

There is an owners thread here - SJ4000 Owners Thread

From that thread
    I've ordered one of these, but I imagine it's going to take a week or 2 to arrive from China.

Is it possible to turn the screen off while recording in order to save the battery?

If so, how?

I've looked in the manual and it does not mention if this is possible.

Thanks

If I remember correctly from mine, after a few minutes, it will turn off itself until you press a button.....

V02 Firmware
    http://actioncamfaq.com/tag/sj4000/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I actually did a review of a camera in this family, the SJ1000 which can be found here.

It is an absolutely amazing camera as is this one I'm sure.

Use it every day in the car.

Comes with many accessories and compared to the price of a GoPro it is definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

What color should I get?

bazery wrote: »
    What color should I get?

I got the black colour of the SJ1000 as I feel it to be the most stylish and the most inconspicuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Aparrently there are different ones with better/ newer hardware. And idea where to get the latest

bazery wrote: »
    What color should I get?

Pink, definitely pink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

Is it possible to attach it to a surf board?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is it possible to attach it to a surf board?

Same fittings as a gopro so yes, there are attachments for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Its gone up to 113$ now!

Its gone up to 113$ now!

You can get it at around the original price off of many sellers. http://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=Sj4000

I can't mark it expired..
    That's new? Used to be a lot longer than a day, before you couldn't edit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

My camera arrived about 3 days ago with EMS shipping from Germany. Absolutely delighted with it! The quality is exactly like the Dropbox links in the first post. So happy that I went this route instead of getting a Go-Pro! I'd like 120fps @ 1080P, but I can live without it at this price..

The main reason I posted on here again is due to seeing this listed on Tmart for €65 (although Aristotle already linked to similar): http://www.tmart.com/SJ4000-Waterproof-1-5-LCD-12MP-4X-Car-DVR-Camera-Sport-DV-HD-1080P-Sport-Camcorder-Yellow_p246171.html?price=hk_intl

Wez wrote: »
    My camera arrived about 3 days ago with EMS shipping from Germany. Absolutely delighted with it! The quality is exactly like the Dropbox links in the first post. So happy that I went this route instead of getting a Go-Pro! I'd like 120fps @ 1080P, but I can live without it at this price..

The main reason I posted on here again is due to seeing this listed on Tmart for €65: http://www.tmart.com/SJ4000-Waterproof-1-5-LCD-12MP-4X-Car-DVR-Camera-Sport-DV-HD-1080P-Sport-Camcorder-Yellow_p246171.html?price=hk_intl

Yeah it's on sale at the minute.

I've the SJ1000 and love it.

1080P recording for €50-odd.

Great camera for the price and the quality is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Anyone else buy this on aliexpress? I ordered at the end of June but still no sign and the tracking number they sent isn't working on the china post website. Should I open a dispute and try to get my money back? Or has anyone ever not gotten a correct tracking number but received their goods?

• Advertisement

Anyone else buy this on aliexpress? I ordered at the end of June but still no sign and the tracking number they sent isn't working on the china post website. Should I open a dispute and try to get my money back? Or has anyone ever not gotten a correct tracking number but received their goods?

Yeah, I wouldn't worry yet.
    They often give useless tracking numbers.

I'd give it another couple of days.

Advertisement