Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to healing

• 22-06-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭

So have been bored for past week so said I'd come back for a bit...

Have taken up a human priest, disc but its my first time healing and haven't a clue what I'm at... any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You going atonement or shield base healing? Are you using a healing addon or mouse over macros?

Basic go to tips are:

1. The tank is the most important person next to the healer in any instance;
    2. Your job is to heal reasonable people not stupid people, if a DPS over extends or steps in something they shouldnt you let them die (within reason);
    3. There are many guides from noxxic.com to http://howtopriest.com/ (my favorite), have a read and get an understanding for your class;
    4. Learn what spells to pop in what situation, dont spam inefficient heals and run out of mana;
    5. Learn when and when not to pop your big cooldowns, using it to early or to late could mean trouble;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Use a healing addon like healbot or vuhdo, bind most of your spells to your mouse buttons and just practice until you know them off by heart.

Run a few dungeons with friends or guildies, they should be more understanding if you're struggling with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Personally like Grid (raid frames) and Clique (mouse over buttons etc).

Full ui i use is Realui though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gleeson98

Definitely as others have said use healbot and other addons to make your experience easier
    Look up guides or tutorials on youtube and watch gameplay guides.. I highly recommend Mikepreachwow's guides he has guides for every class

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Guides can really help. Such as class guides on Icy Veins, MMO-champion, elitist jerks (if that's still around) etc...

In terms of healing strategy if you're healing a dungeon party I always found it best to start healing the tank as soon as he pulls (just make sure you don't pull aggro yourself) something as opposed to when the health starts dropping. This way you get a hang of how squishy the tank is and how hard the mobs are hitting allowing you to deal with the "bad" and the "good" tanks in randoms.

If you're raid healing your situation changes, you can get assigned to one of the two tanks or raid healing. Tank healing means focusing on the tank you are assigned to and leave everyone else alone.
    As you get better at healing in raids you can help heal the party if needed but you don't want to run into a situation where you let your target tank die because you were topping up a dps, assume the raid healers have things covered unless told otherwise.

Start off small. Do a few normal dungeons and get the hang of things. Jump into a heroic and if you need to go back and practice more in normals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement