Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Considering a return.

• 22-03-2014 6:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So im considering a return to the game but am unsure if i can commit to a full raiding schedule but pve is my only real interest.
    Its been about a year since i played, apart from a month i subbed but didnt get time to play much therefore im not sure what state the game is in right now.
    I know there is pug raids etc but are they frequent? is there weekly lockouts?
    Is there much content now for a casual raider? or would i need to find a guild ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Still got some on Terenas? Speak to frodo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

anyone know whether if you prepay for the next expansion does that include mop with it or do you have to pay for that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Its only about €25 for the lot tho up to MoP. Cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

im curious about it myself.

Getting the urge to play again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm going back as well. Going to be playing on Twisting Nether with some old friends. Rolling a Druid tank and levelling up to 60ish, then buying WoD for the 90/Profession boost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm going back as well. Going to be playing on Twisting Nether with some old friends. Rolling a Druid tank and levelling up to 60ish, then buying WoD for the 90/Profession boost.

Yeah how does that work?
    I recall hearing you dont get full profession or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Resubbed for three months about two months ago. Have played only a handful of times and have no inclination to play.
    I think the love has finally gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If you boost a character level 60 or above all professions will be maxed out, if its under 60 you have to level them yourself.

shockwave wrote: »
    If you boost a character level 60 or above all professions will be maxed out, if its under 60 you have to level them yourself.

It's not quite all professions. I think you only get your main two (i.e. Leatherworking and Skinning) plus First Aid. It doesn't boost Cooking and Fishing too. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

ive just cancelled my account again. Held my interest for two weeks but guess its not right for me atm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

silverbolt wrote: »
    ive just cancelled my account again. Held my interest for two weeks but guess its not right for me atm

Seems to be a lot of that lately, and we're coming into the summer months where subs will drop too.

Id say try again before WOD drops and see what you think.

I've a level 35 Panda Prot Warrior. Tanking is enjoyable. A welcome change from DPS and Healer. I dislike LFG though. It seems your epeen size is directly proportional to the number of heirlooms on your character. DPS joining in and just storming through the dungeon as fast as they can expecting the tankhealer to save them. I have let many players die. It's a real shame how everyone just wants instant graitification now. Why, back in my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Do that sometimes :D but then lotta time the stuff just dies too fast :(

I really miss the adventure of a dungeon which I think is completely lacking in WoW currently. The absolute joy (and pain) of running a full Blackrock Depths run was incredible back during Vanilla/TBC. Heck, even Stratholme, Scholomance and even Dire Maul. They took time and it was brilliant when you actually had completed them.

I'm essentially levelling up via dungeons and quests sub-80 only serve as a distraction if your queue doesn't pop quick enough (not a problem I have as a tank with a healer friend). The allure of Wildstar is growing, but I'm holding off until I see how it fares post launch. Perhaps WoD will bring back a sense of challange to the game, and not just Mythic raid challange, but an overall increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Just play Wildstar. Game is incredible :X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just play Wildstar. Game is incredible :X

I was considering it, but there's only room for one MMO in my life, I think! Its so daunting starting a new MMO. Dont think I could put myself through it again.

Trust me. It's worth it. I played WoW for a very long time and this game sh*ts all over it in every single way.

EDIT: And to put it in perspective, if you go back to WoW now you're immediately behind the rest and basically trying to play catch up for the expansion. At Wildstar the game hasn't even been released a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trust me. It's worth it. I played WoW for a very long time and this game sh*ts all over it in every single way.

EDIT: And to put it in perspective, if you go back to WoW now you're immediately behind the rest and basically trying to play catch up for the expansion. At Wildstar the game hasn't even been released a week.

I'm a current WoW player so am fairly up to date but thanks for the recommendation on Wildstar. I'll think about it anyway. Had a go over the last beta weekend and wasnt blown away but am hearing a lot of good things about it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I really miss the adventure of a dungeon which I think is completely lacking in WoW currently. The absolute joy (and pain) of running a full Blackrock Depths run was incredible back during Vanilla/TBC. Heck, even Stratholme, Scholomance and even Dire Maul. They took time and it was brilliant when you actually had completed them.

I'm essentially levelling up via dungeons and quests sub-80 only serve as a distraction if your queue doesn't pop quick enough (not a problem I have as a tank with a healer friend). The allure of Wildstar is growing, but I'm holding off until I see how it fares post launch. Perhaps WoD will bring back a sense of challange to the game, and not just Mythic raid challange, but an overall increase.

In fairness though, at this stage you somewhat assume everyone is on their umpteenth alt.

I'd frequently level alts via dungeons, in full heirlooms, and I for one would be one to burn through the dungeon. I powerlevel, and try to go hard, so getting in as many dungeons in an hour is one of the best ways.

There is nothing worse, then having a slow tank or healer.... If I see someone with no heirlooms and tanking odd then ok I assume its a new player and we chill a bit, but if its someone who clearly knows the game, just being slow, it annoys the **** out of me

• Advertisement

That's such a rubbish line. It doesn't **** over anything to be fair. There is such a flavour of the month in Ireland when it comes to MMO's it's ghastly.

I played alpha and beta of wildstar, and had another crack over the weekend with a guest pass. Sure it looks for all intensive purposes a decent game. But it failed to grasp my attention and I don't see myself buying it.

Granted WoW is feeling a little stale at the moment as I've burnt through the latest content so much, and amn't available for heroic raiding timewise, I'll probably put Wow aside to focus on LoL(then again talking with a friend who just came back so might be levelling a fresh alt).

But to say Wildstart has shat all over WoW, not even a week into its launch ,is typical rubbish talk from flavour of the month crowd : /

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is nothing worse, then having a slow tank or healer.... If I see someone with no heirlooms and tanking odd then ok I assume its a new player and we chill a bit, but if its someone who clearly knows the game, just being slow, it annoys the **** out of me

This is what's wrong with WoW nowadays. Everyone's in such a rush to get to the max level to do this and that. You can even buy max level now, which is a travesty in itself.

The whole game is being streamlined to get people in to LFR as soon as possible. Even guilds have been devalued as they're all about the perks while levelling as a nice cash cow for the GM. In-game economies have got so out of touch you no longer need to farm before a raid. Log in, buy pots or what have you, and away you go. Rush rush rush.

That's such a rubbish line. It doesn't **** over anything to be fair. There is such a flavour of the month in Ireland when it comes to MMO's it's ghastly.

I played alpha and beta of wildstar, and had another crack over the weekend with a guest pass. Sure it looks for all intensive purposes a decent game. But it failed to grasp my attention and I don't see myself buying it.

Granted WoW is feeling a little stale at the moment as I've burnt through the latest content so much, and amn't available for heroic raiding timewise, I'll probably put Wow aside to focus on LoL(then again talking with a friend who just came back so might be levelling a fresh alt).

But to say Wildstart has shat all over WoW, not even a week into its launch ,is typical rubbish talk from flavour of the month crowd : /

Or you just can't move away from WoW. You choose ^_^

This is what's wrong with WoW nowadays. Everyone's in such a rush to get to the max level to do this and that. You can even buy max level now, which is a travesty in itself.

The whole game is being streamlined to get people in to LFR as soon as possible. Even guilds have been devalued as they're all about the perks while levelling as a nice cash cow for the GM. In-game economies have got so out of touch you no longer need to farm before a raid. Log in, buy pots or what have you, and away you go. Rush rush rush.

Well obviously it depends on what you want from the game doesnt it.

The vast majority of players want to get to max level, to experience endgame content in the form of PvE or PvP. Down through the years there has been plenty of surveys and analyitical studies done by Blizzard, and no where did " Want to chill out while levelling" appear as anything relevant, instead the overwhelming feedback was " let us level faster".

It's totally cool with people wanting to take their time and explore the world, but there is just simply more people who want/need to level ASAP so they can experience endgame content.

I know personally, I just want to hit maxs level to start gearing my alts, thats where the fun is for me. I've levelled easily 20+ character at this stage, the levelling process is nothing but a pain the hole at this stage.

I've some new characters to make with a friend and his mates, on a new realm, and I'm extremely tempted by the prospect of buying a 90 straight of the bat. Although I can level quickly enough so might just powerlevel, the option to have it there is nice.

Yes and for what I want Wildstar sh*ts all over WoW.

Or you just can't move away from WoW. You choose ^_^

Well there is no denying I like WoW, easily my favourite game ever and I've got nothing but amazing value and experiences from it for the last what, ten years. Mental how long I'm playing it, and for the large part with the same group of mates.

But there just seems to be a trend of people just putting their fingers in their ears and shouting blah blah blah when proclaiming the next wow killer. Wildstart might well be it for sure, but nobody will know until ATLEAST a year into the new title.

Wildstar has to deal with the 30+ day drop off, and potentially the impact from WOD. Then 12 months down the line, evaluate where things are at.

As someone on this forum for longer then I can recall, I've seen ever new MMO labelled the wow killer, most don't make it to 60 days, some a little longer. But in all honesty nothing has really come close.

At this point it's WAY to early to claim anything in Wildstars favour. MMO's are all about engame, and engame content. SWTOR had a wonderful levelling experienced, crippled by rubbish PvE and even worse mechanics for raiding.

Be interesting to hear the feedback after Wildstars raiding get's underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Problem is, its the back end of an expansion. So theres no real new content to see in the process of getting to max level anymore.

And, for 85-90 its pretty similar, especially this late in the game. Content isn't current, so you don't have as many people doing it, which sadly means it isn't as fun.

Also could just be the fact that 70-80 was crap, 80-85 was crap, and 85-90 was crap (there could be really have been a bit more work here on dungeons, there is like 5 of them, seriously.. and at that theres like 1 or 2 good ones only!) But at least now 90 is pretty fun. And I suppose, they made it a lot more accessible at max level - which depending how you look at it is a good and a bad thing.

At this stage of the game, I don't think being able to buy a level 90 boost is too bad, I've leveled enough characters over the years to last me a life time, over various accounts. Doesn't mean I want to do it again (or, as I said, 80-90 especially). You get semi-decent gear out of it, which is enough to get you into ToT, (483 Greens, for whichever spec you'd like) and max profs if your at least 60. So, player wise, its not a bad deal, I got one with WoD and it was a great choice, let me play my druid again at max level without the grind. (I'm only recently back, and its my first time playing this expansion), so after getting my hunter to max in two days, and leveling a lock to nearly 90 in about a week - It was nice just to have something I enjoy that I can mess about on.

As for what blizzard get from people being able to purchase a 90 boost straight from them, is that it disrupts the black market thats going on in Power leveling and gold farming - something which most games have been trying to fight a losing battle with for years now.

Just my 2 cents.

--

As for returning, I did it after 2 years of no playing (I came back with a number of real life friends, so I may be biased) but I think the game is in a good place at the moment, not the best place, but definitely not the worst. Great for casual play (not sure about Hardcore, cause I'm not hardcore atm :P) and it seems to have a nice change of pace in comparison to other expansions, which I really think that cross-server zones really do help with and have done a lot to revitalize the game.

Well there is no denying I like WoW, easily my favourite game ever and I've got nothing but amazing value and experiences from it for the last what, ten years. Mental how long I'm playing it, and for the large part with the same group of mates.

But there just seems to be a trend of people just putting their fingers in their ears and shouting blah blah blah when proclaiming the next wow killer. Wildstart might well be it for sure, but nobody will know until ATLEAST a year into the new title.

Wildstar has to deal with the 30+ day drop off, and potentially the impact from WOD. Then 12 months down the line, evaluate where things are at.

As someone on this forum for longer then I can recall, I've seen ever new MMO labelled the wow killer, most don't make it to 60 days, some a little longer. But in all honesty nothing has really come close.

At this point it's WAY to early to claim anything in Wildstars favour. MMO's are all about engame, and engame content. SWTOR had a wonderful levelling experienced, crippled by rubbish PvE and even worse mechanics for raiding.

Be interesting to hear the feedback after Wildstars raiding get's underway.

When did I say this is a WoW killer? No game will ever kill WoW. Blizzard will do that all by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The vast majority of players want to get to max level, to experience endgame content in the form of PvE or PvP. Down through the years there has been plenty of surveys and analyitical studies done by Blizzard, and no where did " Want to chill out while levelling" appear as anything relevant, instead the overwhelming feedback was " let us level faster".

It's totally cool with people wanting to take their time and explore the world, but there is just simply more people who want/need to level ASAP so they can experience endgame content.

I know personally, I just want to hit maxs level to start gearing my alts, thats where the fun is for me. I've levelled easily 20+ character at this stage, the levelling process is nothing but a pain the hole at this stage.

I've some new characters to make with a friend and his mates, on a new realm, and I'm extremely tempted by the prospect of buying a 90 straight of the bat. Although I can level quickly enough so might just powerlevel, the option to have it there is nice.

Im the polar opposite, I love the leveling experience for the most part (A few zones excluded) because I cant commit to the end game anymore.

But the problem is theres no community in WoW anymore, everyone is blasting through with their Heirlooms trying to get to 90, getting bored and starting again.

I have a free character boost to 90 and for the life of me i've no drive to use it it as once you hit 90 its Raid or do dailies. And dailies bore the life out of me.

• Advertisement

When did I say this is a WoW killer? No game will ever kill WoW. Blizzard will do that all by themselves.

You didn't say it directly, but you did say Wildstar ****s all over WoW. I was going with the general phrase that gets thrown around frequently when a new MMO arrives :)

Advertisement