Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peugeot 2.0 HDi (Yes or No??)

Options
  • 09-07-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi I'm looking for a budget diesel car (4 grand-ish) for getting to work. I've seen a few 05 and 06 Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi for this price and want to know if anyone on here has owned one or still does. I know the 1.6 HDi gives a bit of trouble with turbos etc so I won't be buying one of them.

Are the 2.0 HDi any good?

PS. Don't tell me to buy a petrol :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

is there an option b) available..

a skoda is much better than any french car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Octaviaaaaa ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

body-in-car-300x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

oh give up,skoda this and skoda that,thats all ya hear on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I had a 2.0 TDI 206 (don't ask lol) But I loved that little car, theyre a good engine, I had no major trouble with mine (engine wise) when I had it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Good morning,

I've a 407 with the 2.0 Hdi and I find it very reliable. mine averages about 50-52mpg with quite a mix of motorway and town.
    I've had to clean the egr valve alright but its not something thats difficult to do.

Clutch, DMF, abs sensors are the main problems you can come across on them but do your research and look at a few. History is essential aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Your posts really do gI from bad to worse on this site don't they? Dgt is hopefully gonna be on here to tear your above comments to shreds.

The French made many reliable diesels actually. 306, 405,406 all diesels spring to mind. Do some research before posting such comments. :)

166man wrote: »
    Your posts really do gI from bad to worse on this site don't they? Dgt is hopefully gonna be on here to tear your above comments to shreds.

The French made many reliable diesels actually. 306, 405,406 all diesels spring to mind. Do some research before posting such comments. :)

And their engines go into a bunch of other cars too :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_HDi_engine
    The 8-valve, 2.0 L DW10 Peugeot/Citroën, delivering 90 or 110 bhp, is part of the PSA EW/DW engine family. It is equipped with a fixed-geometry turbocharger. The PSA/Ford joint venture ZSD engine Diesel engine uses the same cylinder casing but has a 16-valve head. This engine is fitted to the Ford Focus, 2007 Ford Mondeo, Ford Galaxy, Ford C-Max, Ford S-Max, Volvo C30, Volvo S40, Volvo V50, and PSA cars

oh give up,skoda this and skoda that,thats all ya hear on this site

Unreal, like a load of fat taxi drivers with their expert views :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

REDLAD123 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for a budget diesel car (4 grand-ish) for getting to work. I've seen a few 05 and 06 Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi for this price and want to know if anyone on here has owned one or still does. I know the 1.6 HDi gives a bit of trouble with turbos etc so I won't be buying one of them.

Are the 2.0 HDi any good?

PS. Don't tell me to buy a petrol :D

By all accounts, the 1.6 is the same engine as the one in the Focus and a few other cars. I think most of the issues with them relate to poor servicing. If you get a well minded car, these shouldn't arise.

There is a DPF system in the 406 as well.

Big Citroens and Peugeots are dirt cheap and yet go onto to DoneDeal and you will see lots of them with 250,000 km up. Wasn't there a taxi driver on lately who had one with 300,000?

I think a well minded C5 from 2005 -2008 would be a good buy as it was the second generation of the car and most of the gremlins would be sorted. A 2nd generation 407 also as many of the issues relating to the suspension were tidied up here too.

A lot depends on what sort of driver you are too. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles and never had an issue with a clutch, etc, turbo, etc. I hear of others who manage to destroy a car in 50000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 REDLAD123

Thanks for all the replies guys... Some were helpful, some were not ;)

BTW I think Skodas are a fine car and basically the same as the 1.9 Passat tdi which when looked after are very reliable, engine wise anyway. However a 06 or 07 Skoda Octavia Tdi would be up to double my budget..

I totally agree that maintenance and history on any car is extremely important..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

And their engines go into a bunch of other cars too :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_HDi_engine
    The old 2.0 8V HDI engines were decent, but the newer 2.0/1.6 16V HDI engines (I would assume that all 407's have one of the newer engines) with DPF's aren't as good. DMF failure can manifest itself at around 60-80k miles. DPF failure can really happen at anytime, especially if the previous owner didn't give a sh!t about regeneration cycles.

I would avoid the 407 to be honest. If you want a cheap French car, go for an older generation (without DPF) Citroen C5 as it's going to be next to impossible to find a 406 that hasn't had the wheels driven off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

FrontDoor wrote: »
    By all accounts, the 1.6 is the same engine as the one in the Focus and a few other cars. I think most of the issues with them relate to poor servicing. If you get a well minded car, these shouldn't arise.

There is a DPF system in the 406 as well.

Big Citroens and Peugeots are dirt cheap and yet go onto to DoneDeal and you will see lots of them with 250,000 km up. Wasn't there a taxi driver on lately who had one with 300,000?

I think a well minded C5 from 2005 -2008 would be a good buy as it was the second generation of the car and most of the gremlins would be sorted. A 2nd generation 407 also as many of the issues relating to the suspension were tidied up here too.

A lot depends on what sort of driver you are too. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles and never had an issue with a clutch, etc, turbo, etc. I hear of others who manage to destroy a car in 50000 miles.

My brother has a 00 406 2.0hdi with, wait for it...... over 600,000 MILES on it and he still driving around!! Said once he keeps it serviced regularly he has no bother with it yet.

A skoda superb elegance would destroy any French car.

I never mentioned an Octavia..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

600000??? The mind boggles...

Since thats out of budget go ahead and get a French one, don't expect much for when you get to sell it on though.

I'm trembling with excitement at the thought of them cars..

Since thats out of budget go ahead and get a French one, don't expect much for when you get to sell it on though.

When spending 4k is resale value a huge concern if planning on keeping the car a couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 REDLAD123

Ok I'm getting very negative feedback on the 2.0 HDI and this DPF thing sounds like a pain.. I'm gonna look at a 2003 Audi A4 1.9TDi later this evening (fancy Skoda ;)). I've decided to stay with the Germans anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Meesared wrote: »
    600000??? The mind boggles...

Ya i know it's insane..... 1 million kilometres like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I know of a chap who bought a 407 in 2006 new and gave a heap of trouble. It was a petrol one mind you and most of the trouble was engine related...

If you were going for a 2.0HDi in the 407 it would be a 16v iirc, sweet enough to go. Beware of the FAP though!!! Many HDis on the road, especially in the North, they're everywhere :)

Once it's well minded I can't see why it won't do the mileage. As for French electrics, Peugeot got their act together after the 406 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I thought a Honda Accord was the best car in the world?

Also a Skoda Superb Elegance for €4k?

The only thing that makes the Superb any good is the price.

Which is great, but there are nicer cars out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The only thing that makes the Superb any good is the price.

Which is great, but there are nicer cars out there ;)

+1

Very overrated cars imo. Big, ugly, cheap diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It would in its arse. A c6 wouldn't even stop to look at it. A top spec c5 is a lot nicer too .

I thought a Honda Accord was the best car in the world?

Also a Skoda Superb Elegance for €4k?

i said above forget the elegance (and accord diesels) as i wasn't sure of the OPs budget.

2.4 Accord executive is a quality car, i guess not as good as an alfa 166 though. :rolleyes:

It would in its arse. A c6 wouldn't even stop to look at it. A top spec c5 is a lot nicer too .

a C6 well within the OPs budget of course

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

a C6 well within the OPs budget of course

So when you said this sweeping comment you were talking in the context of the OP's budget and not just in general ?

Much as the current Superb is nice for its price point, the old one isnt and theres a long list of nicer French cars.

i didn't know what the ops budget was, but a diesel well appointed audi with a service history would be much better than a boring peugeot diesel that is mentioned here.

only in recent years have french cars become something actual car enthusiasts would buy.

So when you said this sweeping comment you were talking in the context of the OP's budget and not just in general ?

Much as the current Superb is nice for its price point, the old one isnt and theres a long list of nicer French cars.

nicer french cars in what way...

name any french car from 2000-2005 (or to cover the OPs budget) or so which is 'desirable' in a motorists enthusiasts way.

and not in the way of someone who would buy a dog if it could get them from A to B.

take your time..

• Advertisement

i didn't know what the ops budget was......................

only in recent years have french cars become something actual car enthusiasts would buy.

Can't you read properly?
    You seem to miss important points of posts fairly frequently and than claim you didn't know about these points.

Ever heard of a 205GTi btw?

Advertisement