Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos Stock Checker - CheckArgos.com (Jul 15 - Preview of new site now avaialbe)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Basq wrote: »
    Typical software developer... blaming the user QE! Good man! :D

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi Guys,

We deployed a new version with some bug fixes
    • The issue where you search for "PS4", "Wii" etc is fixed
    • Added spinning icon to show that it is in the process of checking stock for that store.
    • Fixed support for IE9 + (Search page seems to still have issues on IE9)
    • More results are returned ( still some work needed around this)
    • Fixed searching for blank

Link

If you spot anything else or have any suggestions please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

If you spot anything else or have any suggestions please let me know

a search for rug resulted in nothing.

I get a horizontal scroll bar, regardless of resolution.

Tool tips on the stock status would be nice. Ive no idea what the 2 arrows symbol means, stock wise.

class="glyphicon glyphicon-transfer"

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

I don't think that sorting by price is working correctly? Maybe thats just me, but site looks really well, and really helpful from a searching point of view...

• Advertisement

BabySlam wrote: »

Not sure what's happening here, will look into it
    I get a horizontal scroll bar, regardless of resolution.

Tool tips on the stock status would be nice. Ive no idea what the 2 arrows symbol means, stock wise.

class="glyphicon glyphicon-transfer"

Never seen a horizontal scroll bar on it, on any browser or device. What browser are you using? Are zoomed in or anything?

On to do list, need to find a more suitable icon
    hjr wrote: »
    I don't think that sorting by price is working correctly? Maybe thats just me, but site looks really well, and really helpful from a searching point of view...

Is it the sorting the table by price or the price filter? Sorting the table is working ok for me, what browser are you using?

The price filter works most of the time, but sometimes seems to be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Hi Witnessmenow,

Its the sorting by price. I'm using chrome. I did a search for sim, and when I try to sort by cheapest to most expensive it doesn't seem to be working properly...

The saving column is working fine.

Hi Witnessmenow,

Its the sorting by price. I'm using chrome. I did a search for sim, and when I try to sort by cheapest to most expensive it doesn't seem to be working properly...

Yeah see it there, pretty bad alright :)

Thanks for reporting, will take a look.

Just for anyone else reporting issues, it would be really helpful if you could post your OS and browser to help us try reproduce the problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Never seen a horizontal scroll bar on it, on any browser or device. What browser are you using? Are zoomed in or anything?

I also get a horizontal scroll bar, I can only scroll about 1 cm but it's there, using IE 11, Firefox 38.1.0 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.134 m

On windows 7 pro, screen resolution 1600 x 900

On to do list, need to find a more suitable icon

Chrome V.43, or FF39.

Change your class="row" to class="row center-block" for all rows. That'll fix your scrollbar issues.

Also padding on the homeScreen div is missing a semi-colon, and bottom padding could be 4, not 40.

<div id="homeScreen" style="text-align:center; padding-top:4em; padding-bottom:4em">

• Advertisement

BabySlam wrote: »
    Hi Witnessmenow,

nava wrote: »
    I also get a horizontal scroll bar, I can only scroll about 1 cm but it's there, using IE 11, Firefox 38.1.0 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.134 m

On windows 7 pro, screen resolution 1600 x 900

Fixed these issues and pushed up the new version (would appreciate if you could check they are working ok for you!)

Also fixed it so it works in IE9 (for the 5 people still using it)

Really appreciate the comments and feedback, thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Fixed these issues and pushed up the new version (would appreciate if you could check they are working ok for you!)

Yes scrollbar is now gone. Thanks

Hey guys,

I have added the clearance page to the site, please feel free to try it out and let me know how you get on!

Just click clearance up the top right (or expand the menu and click clearance)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Hi,

Well done with the site. I just tried the clearance with all sections selected and it does not return anything. The wheel just rotates for a while and it returns a blank screen

I also noticed if you select say clearance for Home entertainment & satnav, and you set the parameters 1 - 1000

It stops at about 400 euro, you have to do a second search 400 - 1000 to get the next batch and so on.

dingding wrote: »
    Hi,

Well done with the site. I just tried the clearance with all sections selected and it does not return anything. The wheel just rotates for a while and it returns a blank screen

Yeah I need to do some validation around user input there, you have to select a category or it wont work. Will work on it over the next few days.

dingding wrote: »
    I also noticed if you select say clearance for Home entertainment & satnav, and you set the parameters 1 - 1000

It stops at about 400 euro, you have to do a second search 400 - 1000 to get the next batch and so on.

Basically for the clearance at the moment we return the first 60 results, we know Argos have more (your example seems to return 231 results) but we haven't yet provided a way to get the more but it is something we will add in the next few days.

We have two options on how to implement:

Pagination, which would be like boards, first 20 results on one page, press a button to see the next 20

or a "infinite" scroll, which would be more like facebook, as you scroll to near the bottom it will start loading more results. Probably edging more towards this approach.

Now that there's "highest" "lowest" prices, the obvious next step is email price alerts! A historical look at the price changes would be nice too, like camelcamelcamel.com does.

Have you been polling each item for price changes over the last while? If so, storing each price change and graphing it would be handy enough.

Finally, congrats on what I assume is a few quid being returned by Argos to you(s) for linking people to their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Now that there's "highest" "lowest" prices, the obvious next step is email price alerts! A historical look at the price changes would be nice too, like camelcamelcamel.com does.

Have you been polling each item for price changes over the last while? If so, storing each price change and graphing it would be handy enough.

Finally, congrats on what I assume is a few quid being returned by Argos to you(s) for linking people to their stock.

They have literally just added the 1st instance of the price history and have said they plan some form of graph to it in future

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96657725&postcount=3294

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but when you open the page and search for Clearance Items in a particular location that it doesn't return the Item to the list if it's not in stock.
    Only return it if it's in or can be ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Hmm, I found that the Clearance section was listing Out of Stock items too, even when a store is selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmm, I found that the Clearance section was listing Out of Stock items too, even when a store is selected.
    Yeah, I noticed this today actually too. Was meant to post here about it.

• Advertisement

2 threads? Spamming, clearly spamming. :P

So that's what used to happen, but I was over ruled when I was doing that part on the new :)

What if we gave the option to remove them from the list? Like a check box or something. We could persist your preference across visits to the site?

So that's what used to happen, but I was over ruled when I was doing that part on the new :)

What if we gave the option to remove them from the list? Like a check box or something. We could persist your preference across visits to the site?

One other thing I noticed - If you search the clearance section for a store, and four pages of results are returned, some of the items on Page 1 have 0% discount. So it seems that there is no sorting being done..

If you then click on the '% Saving' heading, it will sort that page only. This leaves you with
    Page 1 - some items with 90% saving and some with 0% saving
    Page 2 - some items with 75% saving and some with 0% saving and so on.

It would be nice if they were automatically sorted so that all of the best savings appear on Page 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭CH3OH

It would be nice if they were automatically sorted so that all of the best savings appear on Page 1.
    was just about to post similar comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Same with me, shows out of stock with red X.

Are those with the out of stock items not showing on mobile or desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

really nice site.... out of interest what web framework did you use to develop it?...

One other thing I noticed - If you search the clearance section for a store, and four pages of results are returned, some of the items on Page 1 have 0% discount. So it seems that there is no sorting being done..

If you then click on the '% Saving' heading, it will sort that page only. This leaves you with
    Page 1 - some items with 90% saving and some with 0% saving
    Page 2 - some items with 75% saving and some with 0% saving and so on.

That particular problem you described is a tough one to fix!

We use Argos' search to get the list of items.

For clearance, the items are ordered by price low to high (and this mostly works, we have seen some bugs with this, but they are actually on the Argos side).

Argos unfortunately don't have the option to sort by percentage saving

The sort on the site only sorts the items that are visible on the screen. So as you correctly pointed out it doesnt include the results on the second page when sorting. We only load the next number of items when you click page 2.

The old site didn't have this problem because it fetched everything before showing anything, but it had different problems: it was slow and it timed out if your search was too big.

Leave it with us and we will re-visit this, I think its pretty obvious the clearance section needs a little bit of work! I know we can come up with something that works better than the current one.
    Multiple posts on removing items for the list

Obviously this is something that people would like to see, we will re-visit this too.
    jobless wrote: »
    really nice site.... out of interest what web framework did you use to develop it?...

Cheers :)

Its a bootstrap front end with a node.js backend.

That particular problem you described is a tough one to fix!

We use Argos' search to get the list of items.

For clearance, the items are ordered by price low to high (and this mostly works, we have seen some bugs with this, but they are actually on the Argos side).

Argos unfortunately don't have the option to sort by percentage saving

The sort on the site only sorts the items that are visible on the screen. So as you correctly pointed out it doesnt include the results on the second page when sorting. We only load the next number of items when you click page 2.

The old site didn't have this problem because it fetched everything before showing anything, but it had different problems: it was slow and it timed out if your search was too big.

Leave it with us and we will re-visit this, I think its pretty obvious the clearance section needs a little bit of work! I know we can come up with something that works better than the current one.

Ah right, its more of a 'nice to have' rather than an essential feature anyway.
    I think if the "Out of Stock" items could be excluded, it would improve it a lot, and possibly the "0% Saving" items too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Such a useful site! Have you considered an option that would email you when either your local or any Irish store gets an item into (or back into) stock that you're waiting for? A text would be even better but might cost you. I think the UK Argos site has this service but can't find it on .ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭srvhead

Is this site still available?

Advertisement