Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Physics Olympiad 2011

• 17-03-2011 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I'm representing my school in this years physics olympiad and I would like to do the best I possibly can in it.

So I was wondering if anyone has any access to what questions can be asked in the test.

Past exam papers for the test.

Tips on what I should be studying.

Can anyone help me with these?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

And chemistry anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Going up to the chemistry one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 M_ark

Agh doing the physics one tomorrow, I wish we got more info about it, like what we can bring and that

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

it tells you on the website what to bring. I gather there are no past papers to look at, according to the FAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I did the chemistry one in 2009 and there was no access allowed to past papers, I'm fairly sure. :)

Good luck, it's great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

How did it go? I'd really appreciate any reports of the olympiad.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 M_ark

Well I was at the physics one and got one of the silvers. There were 2 papers and about 50 people doing it i'd say, 1st paper was similar length questions to the leaving cert, lots of diagram drawing. It was interesting enough, got a really weird question on radioactivity where you had to work out how much a sheet of lead affected the measured activity of a radon isotope using a graph. Working out the linear attenuation coefficient or something.

There was a second paper of short questions then, lots related to applied maths so it was tough if you hadn't done it, I hadn't. Anything else in particular you would like to know?

Advertisement