Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Cubs tickets

• 27-01-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should have posted this here or in the North America travel forum. I'm traveling to Chicago in May and would like to go and see a Cubs game. There are a few on on dates we are there but I can't seem to buy tickets.

I have tried the site recommended on the Cubs official site called Stub Hub. I've also tried a few others but I can't seem to register for any of them. They all seem to have issues accepting registrations from outside the US.

Do all the games sell out? Is it likely you could turn up on the day and get tickets at the stadium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

They play so often that I don't see the stadium being sold out. Head up to Wrigley Field on the day and you can buy a ticket at the ground. It's a great day out, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I lived beside Wrigley Field for four months and we used to just show up and get tickets.

Just wait til it gets to the top of the first and the dodgy touts outside are pretty much giving the tickets away (I got some for half the face value).

Very rarely do the games sell out unless it's a public holiday etc. Best bet is weekday night games. Great craic in the bars around Wrigley as well. The Cubby Bear was a personal fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I went to the Cubs last year, no problem at all in getting tickets, booked direct from Cubs own site with irish address - they just sent me a link to print off the tickets.

As previous poster said, they play so many games it should not be hard to get a ticket - unless you are totally restricted to one night.

Also try www.beyondtheivy.com - you may already know but there are roof tops overlooking Wrigley field and the owners have set up seating with a view into the ground - not sure of price or experience but, its an option.

Finally if it is baseball you want and not specifically the Cubs, don't forget the White Sox - when I was in Chicago last year they played 2 times in 1 night (1 ticket in) due to a rained off game from previous night - strangest thing was the 1st game was a massacre by Sox and lost the 2nd!!

Hope this helps and enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Thanks for the replies. I didn't expect one so quick especiallly not three.

We are in the city for 5 nights and there are four games scheduled. The strange thing is (to me at least) some of them are scheduled for early afternoon on weekdays. So we are hoping to go to one of the 1.20 pm games.

I also checked out the White Sox but they are playing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

There's a great atmosphere around wrigleyville after the games too, as a previous poster mentioned. Plenty of bars offering post-match specials. I'd say stroll down to Sluggers and have a go in the batting cages while you're at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

We are in the city for 5 nights and there are four games scheduled. The strange thing is (to me at least) some of them are scheduled for early afternoon on weekdays. So we are hoping to go to one of the 1.20 pm games.

The Cubs have an agreement with the City of Chicago that they'll limit the number of night games. I think it stands at 30 night games a season at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

lord lucan wrote: »
    The Cubs have an agreement with the City of Chicago that they'll limit the number of night games. I think it stands at 30 night games a season at the moment.

It's a shame they don't have an agreement to actually win something. :P

You'll love Wrigleyville. There is loads to do around the ballpark (if you like to eat and drink) and you aren't too far from the lake.

One bit of advice in regards to the weather in early May. The temperatures can vary immensely from the time you arrive to the time that you leave. It can be warm and sunny, but depending on where you sit, you will lose the sun as the games goes on. Then it can become cold rather quickly, expecially when you are sitting for the entire game. Prepare for anything and everything is the best advice that I can give you.

Do yourself a favour and try to make it down to US Cellular field to see the White Sox play. Much different neightborhood, but the ballpark is spectacular when compared to Wrigley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

If I was you I would buy tickets before you go. Individual tickets for games went on sale last Friday. Cubs tickets are available at the link below. You can select 'Will Call' as the delivery method and pick then up at the stadium with your credit card. I use this method all the time for NY Rangers games at MSG and it has never failed.

I am back in NY in June and was planning on getting bleacher tickets when I got over but they were completely sold out by Saturday. They were for the yankees though.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/ticketing/singlegame.jsp?c_id=chc&affiliateId=landingpage_chc_singlegametix030810

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

COYW wrote: »
    If I was you I would buy tickets before you go. Individual tickets for games went on sale last Friday. Cubs tickets are available at the link below. You can select 'Will Call' as the delivery method and pick then up at the stadium with your credit card. I use this method all the time for NY Rangers games at MSG and it has never failed.

I am back in NY in June and was planning on getting bleacher tickets when I got over but they were completely sold out by Saturday. They were for the yankees though.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/ticketing/singlegame.jsp?c_id=chc&affiliateId=landingpage_chc_singlegametix030810

Thanks. I will check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The funny thing about a lot of baseball games is that although they are 'sold out', the stadium does only be half full. As there are 81 home games a season not every season ticket holder goes to every game and although they can flog them on Stubhub, sometimes they can't get rid of them.

I was in Chicago last summer to see the Mets and when i tried the Cubs website they were none available. I eventually got a couple on Stubhub (because of the cred card issue I had to get my brother who licves in the States to get them for me). But anyway, when we went to the game the stadium was at least half empty. i couldn't believe it after all the hassle I had in getting tickets.

And the Mets lost!

• Advertisement
Advertisement