Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registering Info

Options
  • 08-03-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Bought a cocker spaniel last month and just wanted some info on it.

I bought off a breeder with a good reputation. He gave me all the innoculation docs and gave me the microchip number and details to register on fido.ie. However, he told me still had to send off the IKC papers and took my address and said he'd post them on. It's now been a month and still nothing.

He showed me papers for both the parents and said that it may take a few weeks for the pup's papers to come back. Is that true?

Also, should I be able to feel the microchip in the back of the dog's neck. Someone told me that sometimes you can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

A friend of mine was having problems getting papers for a pedigree dog that he bought. Sounds like the exact story you were told. He then found out that the breeder had lied about the mothers age because she was too young to have a litter and he could not get papers for the pups. In the end, the breeder had to lie about the dogs birth date!:eek: The things people will do to make a few quid!:mad:

I would bring your dog to the vet and get them to scan for a micro chip.

Then I would ring the breeder and tell him/her that if you don't get the papers in a weeks time, you will ring the kennel club about him/her.
    When we got our king charles (the only dog we have ever bought) we got her papers there and then when we picked her up. A "good" breeder will usually have this sorted a few weeks after the pups are born.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

If its a good breeder they will have the puppies registered befoire they are ready to go to a new home. I have seen this alot recently ( i work in a vets) especially with cockers, where people are buying them with no papers and the breeders says he will send them on 9 times out of 10 they receive nothing and then are unable to get through to the breeder again.

Basically dont pay money for dogs without papers, even if the breeder seems nice and will "send" them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, congrats on puppy.
    My pup came chipped and vac but no papers, took about 7 weeks then had to return then to get them in my name(came in breeders name, sent to breeder and she forwarded them), 3 more weeks).
    I wasn't worried as i trusted breeder, we had met before i got pup, she gave me her phone no., address and email. For 2 weeks before i got pup we spoke couple of times a week and she sent me pic's. We still text and talk occasionally and pup is nearly 9 months. I know not all breeders are like that, if you're really concerned give the breeder a friendly call, tell them about how the pup is doing and ask about papers. Their reaction will tell you a lot.
    Microchip is tiny, couldn't feel it in my pup, but went to vet for health check day pup arrived and vet checked it, he's a small town vet but said nearly all vet's have chip readers now.
    Have heard stories about pups that papers never arrived, there are good reasons some pup's can't be registered, bitch too young, too many litters, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Last summer there was a delay of up to 5 weeks in getting the papers back and then the change of owner took another few weeks. Delays do happen sometimes. To be honest alot of the dodgy breeders don't even bother chipping the dogs never mind giving you a vaccination cert with the pup. Mymo has the right approach to take where you won't be offending anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Thanks for the info folks. The breeder actually rang me Tuesday evening and said that he had the papers back and would be sending them on.

To be honest, I was never worried about him doing a runner because he lives only twenty minutes drive away and I pass his house every day on the way to work!

Just one question that I noticed from mymo's post above. If the papers are in his name when they come, do I need to get them changed?

The local vet also check dogs for 25 quid plus VAT so I'm going to bring the pup in there next week to scan for the microchip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes the papers will be in his name, you then fill out the back and send it off with the payment then to the IKC and the it will be changed over then. Think its around 25m euro, but i could be wrong.

andreac wrote: »
    Yes the papers will be in his name, you then fill out the back and send it off with the payment then to the IKC and the it will be changed over then. Think its around 25m euro, but i could be wrong.

Its only 15 euro. So I just fill it out and send it back?

Do I need to keep a copy or anything in case it gets lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

€25millon to register a pup :eek:

A bit steep, isn't it? ;)

We had the same thing happen last summer with our cocker puppy, got him but papers were delayed with the IKC.
    Received them from breeder a few weeks later. Actually never bother to change the name yet, cos breeder forgot to sign the page, so it would mean an hour drive to meet them, get papers signed, then another drive back.

The microchip details have been changed to our address by the vet and we're not going to be showing him, so is there any adverse affect of not changing the papers?

Oh woops,:o sorry, dont know how the M got in there, ill edit it.

Yeah just fill in the details on the back and send it to them. Maybe keep a copy just in case.

Someone was telling me that if I wish to breed the dog (now this is way down the line but just wondering!), I have to register with the IKC myself. How do I go about that? How much does it cost?

• Advertisement

No, you dont have to register yourself, the dog just needs to be in your own name, which is what you are going to do anyway isnt it?

No, you dont have to register yourself, the dog just needs to be in your own name, which is what you are going to do anyway isnt it?

Yep, it is. So I don't need to register with the kennel club?

Advertisement