Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Cleaning Bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Steel Dog wrote: »
    Since ye recommend the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy on Detailing Shed just want to know which Wash Mitt would ye recommend on it?

The mircrofibre wash mitt that they have is really good. Ive mine a year, in regular use and its great. Cuts down the time it takes to clean the car as well I find. At first I baulked at the price, it seems expensive but after using it the first time, I wish Id bought it a year previously when I started washing my car properly:cool:

http://www.detailingshed.com/195-microfiber-madness-incrimitt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

The Bilt Hamber one on the DS site is probably what i would get if i had to buy another

Steel Dog wrote: »
    Since ye recommend the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy on Detailing Shed just want to know which Wash Mitt would ye recommend on it?

You'll find a lot of people here use the 'Dry Me Crazy' towel with the 'Incredimitt', as, not too long ago, there was a group buy thing on, where they were sold together as part of a package deal.

(therefore a lot of us would have that particular towel and that particular mitt).

Both are great products, though, and worth their price tag. I have a fair few mitts, from Halfords to Tesco, costing from €2 to €15 and the incredimitt is definitely built better than the others I have (it seems to have a thick foam lining that not only absorbs water, but also helps it keep it's shape).

A lot of my other mitts seem to have collapsed in on top of themselves and are a bit difficult to use.

That said, I do still have 2-3 cheapo mitts around, as I avoid generally using the incredimitt on the arches or 'under' the car (any part of the car facing downwards, along the bottom, at the bumpers, side skirts, etc. ) where there is likely to be very heavy soiling.

But that's just me.

Halfords have the autoglym shampoo on offer at 6 euro for 1L. Buy 2 and get 1 free on it as well. Decent shampoo at that 4 euro a litre :D
    You need to reserve it online though, says the deal isn't available in store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Halfords have the autoglym shampoo on offer at 6 euro for 1L. Buy 2 and get 1 free on it as well. Decent shampoo at that 4 euro a litre :D
    You need to reserve it online though, says the deal isn't available in store

Just reserved 3 there, will give them a go!

When I called in, the staff were oblivious to it. They were scanning in at 10 euro a bottle, but as the reserve form said 3 for 12 euro, thats all I paid. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

When I called in, the staff were oblivious to it. They were scanning in at 10 euro a bottle, but as the reserve form said 3 for 12 euro, thats all I paid. :D

Great bargain, also just got €30 worth for €12.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Great bargain, also just got €30 worth for €12.

Offer gone today :(

mik_da_man wrote: »

I'll sell you a bottle for 6 euro....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I'll sell you a bottle for 6 euro....

Same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

collected mine this morning, happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Another shout out for the Microfibre Madness Dry Me Crazy. It took me a while to shell out for one of these. I was using 2x Kent Drying Towels from B&Q which were ok but not great.

The Dry Me Crazy soaks up a hell of a lot of water and as such meant i was able to dry the car faster.

Do you rule out a chamois for drying off the car?

cnoc wrote: »
    Do you rule out a chamois for drying off the car?

I wouldn't use one on car paint. If there are any debris, small pieces of grit etc on the panel you'll just drag it along, whereas with a microfibre you reduce this risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

As said, chamois are far from ideal for drying the car. What you want is a microfiber drying towel that is soft and has a long pile, so anything on the surface that could scratch your paintwork, is more likely to embed into the pile....where as with a chamois, it has nowhere to go except, between your paintwork and chamois...same applies for a sponge; a wash mitt is what should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Curran wrote: »
    There is no forgiveness if a bit of grit happened to get stuck between the paint and the water blade.....you're going to get scratched paintwork.

Curran,

Many thanks for your advice,

I got the following from DetailingShed (Dave been very helpful)

Dry Me Crazy Drying Towel,
    845 Sealant,
    Glossworkz Shampoo,
    Crazy Pilr buffing microfibre
    and a sealant applicator.

Got the car washed over the weekend and applied the 845. I know the car is new but still 845 made such a difference, waiting for rain to see the beading :). The car is like a mirror now!

Dave sent me this link, fellow detailers can have a look at this.. :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

Towel is great, worth every cent. I didn't RTFM, didn't pre wash the towel before drying so the fluff was all over, anyway, gave another wash and it was fine then :)

As you advised, I won't apply the polish just now and wait for 5/6 months ?

The tyres look a bit dry, any recommendation on the tyre dressings ? Someone advised to mix water in the motor oil but i don't think its right thing to do!!

Any other advise to stay on the top of things?

Thanks again Curran.

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

For tyre dressing, a lot of people swear by Orchard Autocares Tyre Glitz, i like, its easy to apply and leaves a good shine

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Meguiars Endurance gel is a decent tyre dressing. Fairly durable too. After applying it just dont drive anywhere for an hour or two as it can sling onto the wheels and body when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Meguiars Endurance gel is a decent tyre dressing. Fairly durable too. After applying it just dont drive anywhere for an hour or two as it can sling onto the wheels and body when wet.

i always get caught out by the sling!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mr.Price have Turtle Wax products on offer,Glass Polish for €1.49. Liquid Clay with mitt for €5.99.A few other bits as well,most at €1.49.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Got the liquid clay myself. Can wait to try it to see if its any good.

Cui bono?

Halfords, presumably making a pricing error, for the UK/NI customers, or if anyone just fancies taking the spin to Newry, either...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/cleaning-kits/simoniz-complete-car-care-kit-interior-exterior

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

KKV wrote:
    Halfords, presumably making a pricing error, for the UK/NI customers, or if anyone just fancies taking the spin to Newry, either...

can't find the correct price of it anywhere. ...

You can bet it's supposed to be multiples more than £20, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Got the liquid clay too along with a couple of bottles of glass polish they had two turtle wax types, also got some metal polish.

Used the glass polish today and it's very similar to Auto glym glass polish no complaints either ways

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/cleaning-kits/simoniz-complete-car-care-kit-interior-exterior

Heading to a chap in the North on Thursday to get a heater fixed on the car.

Considering picking one of these up while im up there. Price seems good, but can I ask, does anyone here actually use Simoniz stuff? Are they worth getting? or is it all fairly crappy stuff that you wouldn't really buy unless it was practically being given to you?

Without actually having used any; this is what I would be thinking!

Back to Black Tyreshine - Will give a decent gloss but wont last
    Quickshine Wax - Spray on shine, will last a few days
    Shampoo & Wax - Probably reasonable enough, if you use a decent splash of it into the bucket
    Ultracare Alloy Cleaner - Probably clean the wheels, but due to being quite aggressive
    Gloss Dashboard Protector - if you like a shiny dashboard, then probably reasonable, but will attract more dust
    Upholstery & Carpet Cleaner - Will likely do an OK job, as with most APCs
    Anti-Glare Glass Wipes - no harm in having them, probably not as streak free as they suggest
    Large Sponge & Polishing Cloth - sponge? really!! Polishing cloth? no polish in the kit. Might be handy to have to buff the glass after the wipes!

For 20 quid....you'll probably use it, and think sure it was only 20 quid - dont expect to be blown away!

I suppose that's a pretty fair summary alright. Ah, I suppose there'd be no harm in picking that set up, to have it there, but at the same time it'd be just as handy to swing into you some time and grab a few of the essentials instead (I seem to go through iron/tar products lightning fast).

Will probably give you a shout at the end of the week or early next week. Planning to clean the car this week (after a lengthy absence) so will know what products I'm out of, then. :)

Dont get me wrong - there'd be no harm in having them, for those jobs when you get asked to do a quick job on someones car, that you know they'll only appreciate for a few days and have the car in a sorry state again in no time! ;)

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    and have the car in a sorry state again in no time! ;)

A recurring theme in my car cleaning ventures :p

Advertisement