Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South East Employment Action Plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

merlante wrote: »
    Because many people are too lazy to either start a business or take up the sort of mentorship on future options that are offered. Nobody gets a nice cheque for 10 grand, you get 10 grand's worth of help if you are willing to work for it, which a lot of people aren't.

See theres that attitude.

That famous Waterford attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

people wont try to set up businesses beacuase say if the business fails there is nothing to fall back on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Bards wrote: »
    No, and I doubt it ever will. I rang the IDA a few years ago asking about it and as far as I remember they were going through the planning procedures as I think they had to build a facility for Servier on the site in Belview. That's 5 years ago now so memory is a bit hazy so I can't be certain that was the case.

No, and I doubt it ever will. I rang the IDA a few years ago asking about it and as far as I remember they were going through the planning procedures as I think they had to build a facility for Servier on the site in Belview. That's 5 years ago now so memory is a bit hazy so I can't be certain that was the case.
    so, just the usual lip service paid to the S.E, big fan fare ministers getting hteir photos taken than Nada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

EGF Fund only goes to people who dont qualify for free fees.

Guess what every single person that was made redundant is automatically entitled to!! yep free fees

So that means TalkTalk will basically get no help.

Now you know why so much of Dell and Waterford Crystals fund went back. Government blamed for that but reality is people just didnt qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Here we go again... yet more jobs for Galway:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0418/major-jobs-announcement-set-for-later-today.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0418/breaking16.html

Our public representatives really have to start asking the question of the IDA; why is Galway so successful at attracting inward investment, and what lessons can we apply to Waterford so that it too becomes successful at attracting such investment.

I don't begrudge them any of it, but there is such a disparity that the question has to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Our city and environs badly needs more industry and jobs so perhaps we need to do some original thinking for ourselves. Those new jobs in Dublin and Galway are coming from already established companies in expansion mode.

Right, so we need to either expand an existing Waterford industry or create a new one. Its not easy for us, the general public, to do much about expanding existing industry but maybe we can do something about creating a new one.

The role played by Waterford City Council was pivotal in re-establishing Waterford Crystal. Can this be repeated with another industry and use funds from the European Investment Bank to get it up and running. Perhaps we could use a co-operative blueprint like they did in Mondragon in Spain in the 1950s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation

I would propose something in the either in renewable energy or transport - perhaps an electric car or the like. Any other ideas?

If the IDA won't do it for us perhaps we can do something for ourselves. God helps those who help ...........

Silverado wrote: »
    Our city and environs badly needs more industry and jobs so perhaps we need to do some original thinking for ourselves. Those new jobs in Dublin and Galway are coming from already established companies in expansion mode.

Right, so we need to either expand an existing Waterford industry or create a new one. Its not easy for us, the general public, to do much about expanding existing industry but maybe we can do something about creating a new one.

The role played by Waterford City Council was pivotal in re-establishing Waterford Crystal. Can this be repeated with another industry and use funds from the European Investment Bank to get it up and running. Perhaps we could use a co-operative blueprint like they did in Mondragon in Spain in the 1950s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation

I would propose something in the either in renewable energy or transport - perhaps an electric car or the like. Any other ideas?

If the IDA won't do it for us perhaps we can do something for ourselves. God helps those who help ...........

Maybe we could lobby the Govt. to create a Waterford Development Zone with a special Corporate tax rate of 5% for the first 5 years in order to attract inward FDI. then revert to the national corporate tax rate thereafter.

Would not apply to companies or subsidiaries of same already operating/established in Ireland.

Maybe we could lobby the Govt. to create a Waterford Development Zone with a special Corporate tax rate of 5% for the first 5 years in order to attract inward FDI. then revert to the national corporate tax rate thereafter.

Would not apply to companies or subsidiaries of same already operating/established in Ireland.

That's good thinking. If the Italians are able to maintain special tax free zones in areas like Livorno, Livigno, the Aosta Valley etc. why can't we. We even have the Shannon Free Zone already which gives an attractive tax packages to businesses. Livigno in the Italian Alps is actually a VAT free zone.

• Advertisement

SHOCK NEWS!!! Galway goes 11 days without job announcement! :eek:

Happily that sorry period has now ended:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0430/100-new-jobs-announced-for-co-galway.html

Seriously... what do they have that we don't, that enables them to attract so many jobs?

A u********y perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They have existing companies in growth areas that are expanding,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It may turn out to be false information, but I was told Waterford is on the cards for some "good news" on the jobs front in a few weeks. Who knows.

Not another coffee shop shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Read on the 'Farmers Journal this week that Glanbia/Avonmore are closely considering Belview in South KK/Waterford as a site for a large new processing plant.
    This would be great news if it gets the go-ahead and would be an example of the region playing to it's strengths i.e. portal location, excellent new infrastructure, tradition in innovation in agri-food with locally produced raw ingredients. Now this is something the west of Ireland would never be considered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Pity we couldn't have nabbed this - we're we even in the running?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/planners-clear-bid-for-china-trade-hub-in-midlands-549735.html[/QUOTE]

There was no competition for the development. As far as I'm aware, an Athlone based company put the plan together and went for it. Fair play to them.

You mean you want an even bigger Ferrybank Shopping Centre?

Two in one week! Jesvs, whatever they're doing in Galway, they're doing it right!

SAP to create 250 jobs in Dublin and Galway
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0503/sap-to-create-250-jobs-in-dublin-and-galway.html

mike65 wrote: »
    They have existing companies in growth areas that are expanding,

Quite true Mike, and today's announcement is another one of these. Clearly this is the payback for some very sensible decisions taken going back a few years.

My worry is that there's been nothing set up in Waterford since about 2006 so whereas Galway is reaping the benefit of projects set up over the past 10 years, we have neither new projects nor existing projects expanding.

It's depressing. :(

HA! I knew this would get a bump today.

Its true, Galway has the other "silicon" glen in Ireland and that's a direct result of Galway University.

• Advertisement

HA! I knew this would get a bump today.

LOL :D Am I that predictable? :p

Its true, Galway has the other "silicon" glen in Ireland and that's a direct result of Galway University.

Of course it is. You take two fairly small cities of similar size, you put a university and IT in one, and just an IT in the other, and then 40 years later, the first one has doubled in size and is seeing job announcements every other week, while the other is languishing. None of this is a surprise.

A whole two weeks since the last jobs announcement for Galway - they're slipping!

Over 180 jobs to be created by two companies in Galway

Seriously, WTF are they doing that we're not?

:D Beat me to it! :p

:D Beat me to it! :p

I'm an early riser Mike! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

They are nearly all expansions of already established companies. Waterford's companies just are not expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

I am not militant by nature but I really think it’s got to a stage that Waterford people and businesses should refuse to pay their taxes until the government starts working for Waterford like it does for the other cities. Like for like we get seconds on everything that is if we are even lucky enough to get seconds. The government’s record on jobs creation is bad enough but we have to put up with no university in the region and lesser health care even though we have a larger population that the west. St Vincent’s hospital in Dublin gets around €10 million more in government funding than WRH even though it serves a smaller population. I mean FFS what is our crime that we are not entitled to the same standard of employment, education and health care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

They are nearly all expansions of already established companies. Waterford's companies just are not expanding.

Well if the government worked to get more companies of todays economy here there might be a possibility for them to expand. But they don’t that is the point.

Jesvs, it was 150 jobs on Morning Ireland, 180 by the time I got in, and now it's 237 according to the Irish Times!

Tech firms to create 237 Galway jobs

Have they discovered a magic job-creation machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Our TD are virtually silent on the issue. Why dont we have a campaign of publicity similar to 'the west must be saved' back in the 80s. I cannot see myself voting for any of those people I voted for in next election. The govt/IDA has so far done zero for Waterford and the SE in general thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

So, 6 months after the South East Employment Action Plan was published, what has been done? I heard we got a few IDA supported visits of potential investors, that's about it.

Advertisement