Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

How to De-Skangerise Public Transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

jjbrien wrote:
    The problem with the cameras on the busses is that in my experience 50% of bus drivers have the monitor turned off. Most bus drivers are too busy keeping their eyes on the road than looking at the monitor. Does anybody know if the cameras on the busses trasmit to a secruity control center?

Centan things need to be done on Irish transport. Dublin bus needs to adpot there own secruity force to combat the scum that like to run rampant on our buses. The scum need to be put in their place. The texting system does need to be put into place. I lived for a year in Toronto and I seen how good policing on public trasit can be done. On the busses there needs to be a saftey alarm you can press if you are attacked by a scumbag. See this link for what they have in Toronto.

The offenders need to be punished publicly. If they are caught recking a bus stop they should be made wear a big orange junpsuit and made go around and clean up the bus stops and clean the grafiti off busses. There should also be a poster on board that has photos of the offenders that were caught somking on the busses. Only by publicly shaming these people will thier attitude change. At present they know they will just get off the hock as the guards wont bother coming out. This needs to change. CIE needs a mobile secruity force who are very visible even on routes that are less travelled on. If a Skanger sees the CIE secuity on the busses, in a car following a bus or on a train they will soon learn that they cant get away with terroising the public. In Toronto on the TTC you see the Special Constables or Police riding the busses, trams and trains so most skangers keep dont even think about casusing troble.

In my time over there I never seen somebody lighting up a joint at thw back of a bus, tram or train. Because they know the Special Constables or Police will be around very quickly.

The monitors in the cab are too small to see in any detail what people are doing upstairs they are only there to give the driver a general idea of the situation upstairs regards empty seats, people standing preparing to get off etc
    The reason drivers turn them off is that some people find them distracting particularly at night time. Personally I would prefer the driver kept his eyes and his mind on the road than on the skangers upstairs.

The cameras are not attached to any live monitoring any incidents reported can be dowloaded from the recorder when the bus returns to base other than that the tape just gets recorded over in a couple of days.
    The tapes are not viewed unless a report is made by the driver or a passenger or requested by the Gardai or if damage was noticed during cleaning etc.

If you do see some anti social behaviour then you should report it to DB head office or the respective garage as soon as possible with details of the time and route and if possible the fleet number.

And I dont think CIE should be setting up a private police force to police public transport that is the job of the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Ok Cie would not have to setup a private police force if the guards would actually come out when DB call them. As it stands DB call the guards and they dont come. Again with anything in this contry it will take some old granny or young child to get badly beaten on public transport and the media making a big deal of it before anything gets done to tackle the problem. I used to take the 76A from Blanchardstown to Tallaght via neilstown and that bus is a harrowing experince. From bricks been hurled at the busses it happened on 6 out of 10 trips. To the skangers smoking weed and getting rat faced drunk at the back of the bus. It must be the worst bus in Dublin. Dublin bus needs more visable plocing thats why they should employ a mobile secuity force since the guards wont lift a finger to help.