Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2nd processor for PowerEdge 2950

• 01-02-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I have recently been given 2 Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers - each with 1 dual-core processor, harddrives, and about 4 GB of RAM. I think they are both pretty much the same spec, and they both appear to work perfectly fine.

I am trying to figure out what to do with them.

Can I cannibalize one by transferring the processor, harddrives and memory to the other? The memory and harddrives is the easy part - the CPU is really the question - can I insert it into the 2nd CPU slot, glue the heatsink on it (using the special thermal adhesive), and fire it up?

That way I am sure it will make a decent Linux server running LAMP or something

Any advice will be appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Not sure about making a decent server for you. A powerhungry (400-500W), noisy thing.
    A linux NUC might work better in the end, or cheaper to rent an amazon EC2 instance.

If the CPU is an exact match, then you can add it with the other CPU. A near match won't work.

Instructions
    Page 1 of
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-2950_user's guide3_en-us.pdf

Page 95, 96
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-2950_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

Supported CPU types for these servers
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN293994

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The 2950's are pretty decent, but outdated at this stage. I have two 1950's (1U equivalent of the 2950) in my home setup and they're working well for me as ESXi hosts.
    They are indeed VERY loud though. OP, if you're handy with a soldering iron, I'd highly recommend to wire some in-line resistors on the fans. These things get so loud under high usage that it's difficult to even hold a conversation in the same room. I've done this for all of mine which make them a lot more bearable.

Anyway, to answer the question, yes, you can swap the processor across. Just make sure to follow best practice with cleaning the CPU and re-applying new thermal paste. If possible, have matching sticks of memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 syntrego

Thanks for the info so far.

I am just one other question - how easy is it to separate the heat sink from the processor? I need to turn the heat sink around so the overlapping part mirrors the existing one.
    ressem wrote: »
    Page 95, 96
    ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-2950_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Reading the 2nd doc it might be helpful to remove the heat sink while the processor is still warm - meaning the that adhesive will offer little resistance. Is my understanding correct? Or would I need to use a flat screwdriver and gently try to help the seperation? The key objective here being not to damage the processor.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Best thing to do is watch a few tutorials on Youtube. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OO2uJl1JvA

Thermal Compound (or paste) isn't strictly an adhesive (but does have adhesive properties) so there should really be a whole lot of resistance anyway. You'll probably find that the old paste has dried up a bit, but some gentle twists should do it. Don't use screwdrivers or any other implement to separate them, you could easily do damage that way. Do watch some tutorials though - you'll find different people have different methods.

Be sure to check temperatures after installing the new processor (RealTemp is a utility for monitoring temps) and keep an eye on it for the first few hours of operation. The paste does take some time to 'settle'.

It might also be worth replacing the paste on the existing processor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had a 2950 a few years back.. great machine at the time but as already said, really far too loud for use at home and the ESB bill will take a significant hit!

I'm currently using a Poweredge T20 which is virtually silent and running Server 2012, 3x3 TB WD Red NAS drives, and 2 VMs and all in a chassis no bigger than a standard PC. Far better option for the home IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement