Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood to ban smoking in films

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I think they should ban Tom Hanks from appearing in films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What'll Cheech and Chong do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

anyone remember that episode of south park where they showed an edited version of saving private ryan with the guns replaced with walkie talkies?

what do you think they'll replace cigarettes with? pens?

it'd be a bit funny to see keanu reeves getting lung cancer from chewing pens...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's hardly a law is it? It must be a volentary thing, like advertising alcohol.

Im sure it's not banning all smoking, just unnessasary smoking. If it's important to the plot, it should be left in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but AFAIK American tobacco companies are able to exert quite a bit of pressure on film companies to show people smoking. If you look at the earlier superman films, marlboro trucks were in a huge amount of scenes.

Also, the John Grisham book "The Jury" was about a person who sues the tobacco companies because of a relative dying from cancer, but this was changed to a person who sues a gun maker because a relative was shot. I don't know if this change was made because guns more topical in the states, but it suggests to me that the tobacco industry has a say in what happens in Hollywood.

"The Insider" is probably one of the few films that directly portrays a tobacco company in bad light. The cinema is fast becoming the only place for smoking to be shown without direct health warnings, and I would be very surprised if the tobacco companies will roll over quickly on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You can see where they're coming from, but I'd be totally against that to be honest......I don't smoke, nor did I feel the need to start when I saw Keanu Reaves light up in Constantine.
    Ps, the entire plot of that film would have been out the window if they had brought in a ban last year!

Advertisement