Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom

• 07-02-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭

The only options I have are 3G (which I have) satellite (too expensive) and one wireless provider (ripplecom).
    Most reviews of Ripplecom are negative, I'm sure though this must depend on area/line of sight?

Are there any satisfied customers of this company? Surely they wouldn't be in business if they're as bad as the only reviews I've seen?

I can't get DSL, never will I'd say, 4/5mbs of reliable b/band would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You'll have more look if you say what area you're in, specifically. Ripplecom cover too many different areas for a generic review to be indicative.

So, yes, it will depend on the area (oversold), and will depend on line-of-sight (technical restrictions). There are plenty of negative reviews mentioning the pain of dealing with their (lack of) customer service; but you'll find those reviews for every single provider anyway, so it's hard to judge.

Look around your local area (check for the lunchbox aerial on the roof!) and ask them how they're getting on with it; maybe a speed test or two if you know them!

Are there satisfied customers of Ripplecom? Yes (for what it's worth).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

cgarvey wrote: »
    You'll have more look if you say what area you're in, specifically. Ripplecom cover too many different areas for a generic review to be indicative.

So, yes, it will depend on the area (oversold), and will depend on line-of-sight (technical restrictions). There are plenty of negative reviews mentioning the pain of dealing with their (lack of) customer service; but you'll find those reviews for every single provider anyway, so it's hard to judge.

Look around your local area (check for the lunchbox aerial on the roof!) and ask them how they're getting on with it; maybe a speed test or two if you know them!

Are there satisfied customers of Ripplecom? Yes (for what it's worth).

Thanks. In Kiltale, Co. Meath.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

To be honest, there's no way to know what the service will be like, but in your area, it should be OK, as long as the service point has good line of sight to the mast, and finding out the location of their masts is not as easy as it used to be.

I have a user on Ripplecom near Ashbourne, part of the old ICE system, and most of the time, it works, does what it's supposed to, and is reliable, and gives the speed it should.

If Kiltale is part of the old ICE system, it will probably now be OK. The only caveat is that the VOIP option can be tricky depending on which router you get, the Cisco/Linksys WRP400 that ICE used to use, and Ripplecom have used has an annoying habit of locking up. A newer version of the firmware in the router helps, but getting it installed is very much a case of getting the right tech support contact, which is not easy to do.

So, for my customer, Ripplecom is OK, and I'm not about to suggest a change any time soon, unless a new provider comes along that can give better service.

The only other possible might be Imagine Wimax, not sure if they are in that area or not. I use it here in Ashbourne, and it's OK.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Did someone forget to feed the hamster or put 50c in the meter, because here in Longwood in County Meath the connection has been absolutely horrific since late last night. Can't even do a full speed test, I attempted one earlier and after ranging from 4kbps to 50kbps it eventually threw the towel in after 20% of the test.

Usual 20 odd minutes on hold to speak to someone.

Ripplecom are a great bunch of lads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Dr. Nick - in Kiltale, you should have a line of sight to the Rathmolyon mast. Have you checked out this already?
    But check out my other posts regarding this area. Hold tight for a few weeks until the new mast has been installed, and we'll see what the service is like then.

• Advertisement

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Dr. Nick - in Kiltale, you should have a line of sight to the Rathmolyon mast. Have you checked out this already?
    But check out my other posts regarding this area. Hold tight for a few weeks until the new mast has been installed, and we'll see what the service is like then.

LOS to Tara. See other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Did someone forget to feed the hamster or put 50c in the meter, because here in Longwood in County Meath the connection has been absolutely horrific since late last night. Can't even do a full speed test, I attempted one earlier and after ranging from 4kbps to 50kbps it eventually threw the towel in after 20% of the test.

Usual 20 odd minutes on hold to speak to someone.

Ripplecom are a great bunch of lads :(

I moved to Longwood a month ago, phoned Ripple on the 28th Feb to start up an account, was promised delivery & installation in 2-3 weeks, which was bad enough. They said it'd take that long as they were installing some new masts or somesuch, despite my next door neighbour having a stable enough connection, and getting his router installed in 2 days.

I didn't hear anything from them, phoned yesterday (5 weeks later) to see what was going on, they said the new stuff would be built by friday, so they'll be around to my place for installation and setup by wednesday next week. I know ISPs have a reputation for bad support, but my initial experience with ripple has been rubbish so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nivek_1

Gweedling wrote: »
    I moved to Longwood a month ago, phoned Ripple on the 28th Feb to start up an account, was promised delivery & installation in 2-3 weeks, which was bad enough. They said it'd take that long as they were installing some new masts or somesuch, despite my next door neighbour having a stable enough connection, and getting his router installed in 2 days.

I didn't hear anything from them, phoned yesterday (5 weeks later) to see what was going on, they said the new stuff would be built by friday, so they'll be around to my place for installation and setup by wednesday next week. I know ISPs have a reputation for bad support, but my initial experience with ripple has been rubbish so far.

Ripplecom are absolutely a disaster!! There customer service is crap and I was paying €55 per month for 8 mbps but I was only ever getting 1.5 mbps. They are rude and do not give a toss.. All they want is your money and to hell with customer service or getting what you pay for. I have moved out ofLongwood and now have Eircom Broadband and it is a dream..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

Gweedling wrote: »

Hey there, did you end up going with Ripplecom in the end? If so, are you happy with the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Look at the reviews of Ripplecom... for every 1 good critic, there's a thousand others cursing of Ripplecom's useless existence.

Just take a quick look at this: LINK

• Advertisement

Thanks BeerWolf. That's a handy site!!

it doesn't make for good reading! I'll stick with 3 for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nothrowaway

Just to piggyback on this. How bad are they? Are they worse than having a vodafone wireless/USB device. I've been using one of those for a while but its costing me a fortune.

Just to piggyback on this. How bad are they? Are they worse than having a vodafone wireless/USB device. I've been using one of those for a while but its costing me a fortune.

I've been with them for over two years. While there have been a couple of issues the service is generally excellent. When an issue has arisen they have sent out an engineer the next day (twice from memory)

Not sure if they made some improvememnts lately but last six months or so have been excellent, may drop the odd time but log off/on resolves the issue immediatly. Getting 5/6/7mbps in the evenings on their 8mb package.

Advertisement