Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Congrats Mama Ivy! Hope you and the lil crepe are doing well :):p

I got to spend 4 nights with my bf last week, it was great! We managed two nights out as well, although the second one wasn't so great. I've been letting myself get out of hand eating-wise, and I felt so lumpy and bloated on both nights. Starting again properly (again) today, and it's going well so far!

Just in response to Almostnever's sister's experience with the doctor, I hope she's okay and that his comments aren't going to derail her. Regardless of the circumstances, doctors should never tell someone to 'cop on and lose weight'. Ever. They should definitely tell overweight people to start making changes to their diet and exercise, but in a tactful way.
    Most overweight people must be insecure about their weight; I bet there are very few who aren't, deep down. Some might respond to tough love, but some might not. Unless the doctor knows the patient well enough to think they can be abrupt about it, there are kinder and still effective ways to get the message across. And when they know the patient in question has/had an ED, such harshness is absolutely not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Dolorous wrote: »
    Oh absolutely. People are totally deluded about weight, I currently qualify as obese (but working on it) but a few friends my size wouldn't even classify themselves as overweight, just 'curvy' :rolleyes: Our view of what's normal has definitely become skewed. All you need to do is pick up a few vintage size 10s to see the difference!

I'm a size 12 and could really do with losing a stone, I have a very thin little frame and shouldn't have this excess weight, but because I'm tall and an "average" size people give out if I say anything like that, "sure there isn't a pick on you!", no actually there is definitely at least a stone that shouldn't be there, but because I'm taller than the people saying it and have learned how to dress to hide it they think I'm just lying! Me being a dress size 12 doesn't mean anything when I can see the excess weight with my own eyes, so being a certain size doesn't mean you're fat/skinny/healthy/unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I got such a nice ward for work placement, so happy. One of my patients blows me kisses and asks me to take him home. I think I would if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I have decided to have a girly night- going to have a bath (and try repair my poor crippled shoulder), open a bottle of wine, paint my nails, watch a trashy film :)
    And I'm having hotdogs for dinner :D
    I love being back in my own house

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Neyite wrote: »
    Then they should wreck her head by pretending to move in fully (y'know, paying the bills and all)- start talking about cleaning rosters, rearranging furniture, loading up their stuff. ;)

That would actually be priceless.. :D
    Sorry but it's something that really gets to me and I'm quite passionate about since I studied and worked in the health and fitness industry for so long. The perception of what is and is not healthy is very skewed. I'm an 8-10 and bodyfat wise and hip to waist measurement wise I'm not great. That's someone who trains 12 - 17 hours a week and eats a lot of fruit and veg, but, I also eat too much sugar and don't eat enough in general. At 5'2'' and about 58 - 60 kg (lots of muscle I don't care too much about weight) I am just inside the 'ideals'. Build wise I could probably go no less than 8.5 stone without looking ill as my back is broad for a girl of my size and I'm muscular.

Depending on build(bone structure, muscle), a size 10 is not necessarily small or healthy. People are very unrealistic about this. I don't want to offend or upset anyone by posting this. Of course it's different if you've had an eating disorder and your doctor says that to you, but, to your average person without that history I don't see the problem to be honest. Some people need tough love to realise what they're doing to themselves if there are no psychological or medical reasons behind it.

Sorry I was just voicing an opinion, I didn't mean to upset you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Fresh bedsheets, bath and my book. Tonight is bloody awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I got the marks and spencers cookie mix to bake at home thing today, tried it earlier and was pretty happy. m and s make the best chocolate chip cookies.ever. So I wanted to see if this would be anyway similar.

Make the mistake of pressing the ball of cookie dough down a bit after I'd rolled it into balls (I shouldn't have) but they were great warm with vanilla yogurt. Chewy and soft with the crispy bits around the outside :)

Downside: €3.40 or something for 6 cookies. Could buy five premade for €3...which would be easier...ah well at least the house smells like chocolate. :D

kate.m wrote: »
    I got the marks and spencers cookie mix to bake at home thing today, tried it earlier and was pretty happy. m and s make the best chocolate chip cookies.ever. So I wanted to see if this would be anyway similar.

Make the mistake of pressing the ball of cookie dough down a bit after I'd rolled it into balls (I shouldn't have) but they were great warm with vanilla yogurt. Chewy and soft with the crispy bits around the outside :)

Downside: €3.40 or something for 6 cookies. Could buy five premade for €3...which would be easier...ah well at least the house smells like chocolate. :D

You'd have enough supplies to bake cookies from scratch for that, and you'd get a lot more than 6! :)

Acoshla wrote: »
    You'd have enough supplies to bake cookies from scratch for that, and you'd get a lot more than 6! :)

I was thinking the same about the Odlums Choc Chip cookie mix I made the other day. I can't remember how much the mix was but I did get 12 huge cookies out of it. Might actually have a look for a recipe. I would love to start cooking things. I did do pancakes from a mix as well but I'm definitely going to try making them from scratch. My bf will be shocked, I'm becoming all domesticated! :p

From scratch will always be cheaper than buying pre-made crap and mixes (ugh, cake mixes), a bag of flour will make you absolutely loads of future baked things, sweet and savoury, and for under a fiver you'd have all the sugar, butter, eggs, chocolate, etc, etc that you'd need to bake several times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I really want to run away tonight, wish you could have a "time out" in life without any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

That's true. I've made cookies a lot before, but they're never as good as the m and s ones? And I've tried quite a few recipes...I've never bought a cake mix or any mix before, I've just never found a good cookie recipe. I won't buy it again, especially because the ones in the bakery are way nicer too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

having a girly night with one of the girls!

cant wait! I made potato salad!

i know how sad that sounds but there is bacon in it!! :D

That's true. I've made cookies a lot before, but they're never as good as the m and s ones? And I've tried quite a few recipes...I've never bought a cake mix or any mix before, I've just never found a good cookie recipe. I won't buy it again, especially because the ones in the bakery are way nicer too...

M&S ones probably have yummy chemicals to make them tastier, like bakeries do :) So homemade things never taste the same unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Need, need, need to stop looking up Oscars dresses and get to work :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I can personally vouch for this recipe - thanks to Eviledna :) They come out really similar to the M&S cookies!

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I really want to run away tonight, wish you could have a "time out" in life without any questions.

All okay Ophiopogon?

I'm having a shoe crisis- do I or do I not spend €50 I really really really don't have on orange docs.... bearing in mind they'd be the 5th pair of shoes I'd have bought in the last week and a half.... and I'm broke... but shoes pretty....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dolorous wrote: »
    Oh absolutely. People are totally deluded about weight, I currently qualify as obese (but working on it) but a few friends my size wouldn't even classify themselves as overweight, just 'curvy' :rolleyes: Our view of what's normal has definitely become skewed. All you need to do is pick up a few vintage size 10s to see the difference!
    I'm a size 12 and could really do with losing a stone, I have a very thin little frame and shouldn't have this excess weight, but because I'm tall and an "average" size people give out if I say anything like that, "sure there isn't a pick on you!", no actually there is definitely at least a stone that shouldn't be there, but because I'm taller than the people saying it and have learned how to dress to hide it they think I'm just lying! Me being a dress size 12 doesn't mean anything when I can see the excess weight with my own eyes, so being a certain size doesn't mean you're fat/skinny/healthy/unhealthy.

Yep, people who are obese and blatantly deny that they are are probably really damaging their health. Worrying IMO 'cos it causes all sorts of problems. At least when people are aware that they're overweight and are honest about it they can make better choices.

A girl I know is quite tall and was overweight all the time I've known her, because she's tall the weight actually really suited her. Very pretty girl, a recent break up prompted her to lose weight, she looks great but she looks really weird now. :D

My mum thinks I'm really skinny and practically gives me a standing ovation when I eat anything. I moan about my lack of willpower with choc and sugar and she always replies that it's grand you're only skinny. She seems to continuously miss the point that it's not my weight or appearance that I'm worried about when I say things like that. :rolleyes:

From scratch will always be cheaper than buying pre-made crap and mixes (ugh, cake mixes), a bag of flour will make you absolutely loads of future baked things, sweet and savoury, and for under a fiver you'd have all the sugar, butter, eggs, chocolate, etc, etc that you'd need to bake several times.

Acoshla you're inspiring me to go buy flour and start making things. I would love it if I could find the recipe book I had in school for Home Ec, I was actually really good at making scones and fairy cakes. :D

Oh I hear ya. I need time away from my family. I would love more independence.

Dolorous - thanks for the link for that cookie recipe, I think I might actually try it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It's no-win though, isn't it? If you're overweight you get told to lose weight, if you lose weight you're told "oh but not *too* much".

I reckon if everyone* just stopped focusing on weight either way, things would be much better all 'round.

*I don't mean people here specifically btw, but in general :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

So pissed off right now. Just want to go to bed but I can't, have so much to do and so little time to get it done.

Was meant to be having an early night tonight and now it will be a late one.

Always the same. :mad:

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Acoshla you're inspiring me to go buy flour and start making things. I would love it if I could find the recipe book I had in school for Home Ec, I was actually really good at making scones and fairy cakes. :D

D'mind your Home Ec book, bbcgoodfood website and a million blogs out there to work from! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Watching superscrimpers on C4. It's hilarious.

But awesome for tips :P

Giving me great ideas for saving moneys!!
    Now to plan the weeks meals as apparantly it's easier!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was all set to go to work this morning and couldn't find my keys to the clinic. Did a quick sweep of the house and they were nowhere to be seen. Had to cancel todays appointments as I'm the only one in the building on Mondays so had no way in. Turned house upside down, keys are nowhere. :eek:

Went to the gym after locking up on Friday, they're not in gym bag, not handed in in the gym, can't find them in the house. STRESS.

Key to the door to my rooms is one of those basta one you can pick up in any locksmiths and luckily I know the number but I need my keys to lock up on Weds and Friday nights and open on Mondays.

STRESS. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

bubblefett wrote: »
    All okay Ophiopogon?

Yeah just feeling a bit under pressure, I live by myself at the moment so it's not like I don't have time to myself but I still feel like I never get a chance to sit down and figure stuff out. A bit melodramtic but I swear time is getting faster and just slipping away.

Also, just figured out how to turn on signatures, love yours bubble.

Yeah just feeling a bit under pressure, I live by myself at the moment so it's not like I don't have time to myself but I still feel like I never get a chance to sit down and figure stuff out. A bit melodramtic but I swear time is getting faster and just slipping away.

Also, just figured out how to turn on signatures, love yours bubble.

I know how that is! I'm used to living by myself (have for the last near 2 years now) but recently the OH has started staying more and more times a week. Add my dad continously dropping in and my nephews and sometimes it's a mad house here. Love them all dearly but totally get the feeling of never having time to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

bubblefett wrote: »

I'm having a shoe crisis- do I or do I not spend €50 I really really really don't have on orange docs.... bearing in mind they'd be the 5th pair of shoes I'd have bought in the last week and a half.... and I'm broke... but shoes pretty....

ALWAYS get shoes. ALWAYS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MsAllybear

in fecking bad mood, every single thing getting me down.
    Because of this bad mood (whatever it is) i ruined a perfectly good weekend away in london, let bar man in hotel annoy me to the extent of i had to rant about it and all he did was take order for food and dessert!

*need kick up the arse*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Just after finding out my friend has been rushed to hospital after taking an overdose. :( Poor guy, I really hope he's going to be okay. He hadn't been himself at all lately, really should have done more to help him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Jelly Tots <3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement