Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On a €10 fill of Petrol how much extra is it ok to put in?

• 27-02-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

?

5c is about as much as I would dare as I am not much of a rebel. I have been asked for 3c before which I just laughed at before I realised she was serious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

You go over the amount you want??

Amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

1 cent

I'll guarantee that someone will say "but sure if you let everyone off the one cent we would be out of business"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Myself and the brother stopped to get petrol one day,his Car, I filled and he went in to pay.

He told me throw in €10 as that was all he had, I put in an extra 50c and hopped back in waiting for the "look" when he got to the till. LOL!

Shopkeeper words "Ah come on, your're taking the piss with 50c!

We had to root under the seats for a 50c. hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

You should pay for whatever amount you take. If you go a couple of cent over, pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Mark! wrote: »
    ?

5c is about as much as I would dare as I am not much of a rebel. I have been asked for 3c before which I just laughed at before I realised she was serious.

Why the need to steal? Why can't you pay for what you take? In the unlikely event I go over the euro, I offer the extra cent.

More and more petrol stations are now installing prepay machines where you pay in advance and the machine cuts out at exactly that amount, preventing the customer from stealing anything extra. The fact that these machines cost a lot of money and are an extra hassle for both staff and customer alike, it just shows how much petrol stations are losing to pilferage that they consider this alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

2c

face1990 wrote: »
    You should pay for whatever amount you take. If you go a couple of cent over, pay for it.
    What's it like up there on your high horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Homer Simpson has the answer for ya OP

Saw it in the you laugh, you lose forum thread and seems appropriate

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sometimes when peckish I buy myself a Mars, they're 85c in Dunnes. I throw the girl 76c and leave, filling my belly and laughing my arse off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

You pay for petrol?

You rube! Learn how to siphon it!

• Advertisement

I used to use so many coppers in my change for the bus that I might be 20c down, but the driver wouldn't be able to tell.

Can't do that at the petrol station though..

Cashier: "That'll be €50 on pump four".

Me: *Throws down a load of change*

Cashier: "That isn't even a Euro"

Me: "How do you know?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

High horse, really? Cos I pay for stuff instead of deciding I can take some for free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Myself and the brother stopped to get petrol one day,his Car, I filled and he went in to pay.

He told me throw in €10 as that was all he had, I put in an extra 50c and hopped back in waiting for the "look" when he got to the till. LOL!

Shopkeeper words "Ah come on, your're taking the piss with 50c!

We had to root under the seats for a 50c. hehehe.
    Your evil.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

yep i was ask for the 1cent too ,never went back to the station again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I see people going over a few cent, but then dont bother lift the hosing so it cancels it out.

If I go over a few cent I make sure to have it on hand in case they ask for it, most places dont though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Shure if ye stop the flow, it stops the meter, yet a good bit continues on flowing out. I always get that little extra bit. It's even better when the gobshite before me didn't, which the rarely do. ;):)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

FearDark wrote: »
    Three fiddy.

Well, it was about that time that I realized those petrol pumps were actually 8 stories tall and was a crustacean from the Paleolithic Era. I said dammit it monster I aint given you no three fiddy, he then said, "how about two fiddy?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I normally fill up with €30 and go a cents over, then I pay with a €50 note so its upto the cashier to decide whether to give me €20 change or €19.98, the other day I accidentally went 17c over, the cashier proceeded to count out €19.83

tvercetti wrote: »
    I normally fill up with €30 and go a cents over, then I pay with a €50 note so its upto the cashier to decide whether to give me €20 change or €19.98, the other day I accidentally went 17c over, the cashier proceeded to count out €19.83
    17c is taking the piss though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Tails142

As the price of petrol goes up its getting progressively harder to stop the pump right on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

well.... if you buy something that is €9.99 and hand over a tenner you'd expect your 1c back.... would'nt you..... yes..... thanks:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

Rich11 wrote: »
    well.... if you buy something that is €9.99 and hand over a tenner you'd expect your 1c back.... would'nt you..... yes..... thanks:cool:
    Yes, that's because when they do that, it's psychological pricing bull****. Costs €10 really but the cent off makes it look like €9 and change.

So if some retailer is doing that pathetic crap, you're damn right I'm going to make sure I get my change ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well look at it this way if 100 people took 1cent with out paying thats one euro loss a day 7 aweek 28 a month 336 a year loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

patwicklow wrote: »
    Well look at it this way if 100 people took 1cent with out paying thats one euro loss a day 7 aweek 28 a month 336 a year loss.

You know there is a few more days in the year than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Its a net loss..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

patwicklow wrote: »

Its a net loss..:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want, 100 x 1c a day, over a year is €365, seeing as most stations are open all year round.

Please explain otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If you happen to click over into the extra 1c category as is all too easy with the speed that those numbers whizz about as you fill up, if you pay by cash you will get away with 1c free petrol, about the same amount that drips on your shoe as you put the nozzle back - if you pay by card you will be charged the full amount.

Advertisement