Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What kind of cloud is this and what causes it

• 29-07-2014 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Was driving north on M7 few weeks ago and saw these clouds

What are they? My wife took these pictures

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like Altostratus to me ( in this case like joined up Altocumulus ), the dark line I would think is caused by a contrail above the layer of cloud casting a shadow (backlit by the sun) onto the cloud.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like Altostratus to me ( in this case like joined up Altocumulus ), the dark line I would think is caused by a contrail above the layer of cloud casting a shadow (backlit by the sun) onto the cloud.

I would tend to agree...looks like the shadow of a contrail alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd go Altostratus or maybe Altocumulus perlucidus,its not really a typical "mackeral sky" associated with altostatus IMHO
    In the third picture looks like Cirrocumulus floccus in the background, had to know for sure without knowing the overall conditions at the time.

Cool contrail shadow!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement