Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    10.16 in 51.38 (5.05 pace)

Easy run today, up to Tymon for a lap and then home. Feeling a bit tired today, so decided to take my rest day tomorrow instead of Sunday. Then when I was almost home I landed heavily stepping off a kerb and my knee seized up :eek: Was able to run home the rest of the way, but then could barely get up the stairs. Luckily a couple of hours later and it's flexing normally, and I can walk again. Will definitely be taking that easy day tomorrow though...

this month: 6/81.99
    this year: 97/1034.8

I had something similar the other night and spent some painful time on the Grid roller, all sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

6.49 in 36.23 (5.36 pace)

Knee feeling much better today, but still took it easy with a recovery run...

this month: 7/88.48
    this year: 98/1041.29

6.29 in 33.02 (5.15 pace)
    10.06 in 47.13 (4.42 pace)
    6.19 in 32.47 (5.18 pace)

Since I had my recovery run yesterday I decided to join some of the cub runners for their Sunday run - which I thought would be a nice slow jog. Ran up to Knocklyon to meet the others, and while waiting for people to arrive discovered they've been running this more like a 10k time trial. One of the faster guys turned up too, and any hopes of taking it easy disappeared - I'd really have to go out with him, to keep him company if nothing else.
    Our route took us out through Ballycullen, and up the back way to Stocking Lane. Uphill and and down we were chugging along, about 4.20km pace, but had to slow down when we got back to the flat. My running companion was a sprinter in his youth, and has great strength and running form - but they tend to betray him now that he's come back to running, because he doesn't have the endurance to match, and after 5k at that pace his legs were getting very sore. So the second half we took a lot easier, more like 5 minute pace.
    Waited around at the end for a few minutes for the others to arrive, but I was getting cold so took off for the jog home.

this month: 8/111.02
    this year: 99/1063.83

10.08 in 51.00 (5.04 pace)

Easy run - up to Tymon, once around, back home

Last week was my longest ever, over 100km, and today is day 100 of the streak. Will be taking it easier this week though, with the 10k on Sunday.

this month: 9/121.06
    this year: 100/1073.91

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Well done Ray.

• Advertisement

8.39 in 39.06 (4.40 pace)

Club session - back to the hills.
    Same session as 2 weeks ago, a mile-long loop up and down a hill three times. Under orders this week to take it easier, with so many of us racing on the weekend, but still came in at 6.04 for the first lap :o
    Second lap sat in behind someone else and let him judge the pace - 6.17, better.
    Third lap, a couple of us dropped back into the group behind and ran with the coach - 6.33, perfect.

this month: 10/129.45
    this year: 101/1082.3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's the target for the 10k Ray? Will you have a crack at sub 40? It looks doable given your recent results, at the K club if not the GIR.

pconn062 wrote: »
    What's the target for the 10k Ray? Will you have a crack at sub 40? It looks doable given your recent results, at the K club if not the GIR.

Yes, that's the target all right. I'll give it a shot on Sunday and try to forget about the K club completely while I'm running. I know the temptation will be there to ease off because I have a better shot at it in Kildare.

5.4 in 29.40 (5.30 pace)

Feeling a bit low on energy this week, probably a combination of things - upping the distance last week, decorating instead of sitting at a desk, increase of chocolate in my diet - so I even reduced the length of my recovery run today. Next couple of days will be easy pace runs, shorter than 10k, and a recovery pace run on Saturday, maybe a few strides thrown in tomorrow and Saturday...

this month: 11/134.85
    this year: 102/1087.7

10.13 in 51.32 (5.05 pace)

Still feeling very flat today. Plan was for an easy run home with strides at the end. No bounce in my legs on the way home, felt very tired (though the pace was fine, consistently 5.10-5.15)
    The whiny voice in my head spent the run saying, "But I don't want to do strides :mad::mad::mad: "
    and the adult voice was replying, "that's okay then, we'll just do the easy run home (ha ha we're really going to do the strides)"

Did the strides in the end :)

this month: 12/144.98
    this year: 103/1097.83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Saturday will be 2 years since you posted this thread.

Have a look at your first posts PB times to see how far you've come.

It gives hope to us all of how much can be achieved with willpower in such a short period of time

The great thing about starting to run is that you can make lots of very rapid improvement just by running regularly and building up the distances slowly. No talent required :pac:

8.73 in 47.08 (5.24 pace)

Easy run in this morning, not watching the pace at all.

Last night's training was fun - coaching the kids in the shot put. Which meant, in practice, one of the other coaches demonstrating the technique while I watched and learned, and shouted "Wait!" and "Collect!" a lot :)

this month: 13/153.71
    this year: 104/1106.56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

RayCun wrote: »
    8.73 in 47.08 (5.24 pace)

Easy run in this morning, not watching the pace at all.

Last night's training was fun - coaching the kids in the shot put. Which meant, in practice, one of the other coaches demonstrating the technique while I watched and learned, and shouted "Wait!" and "Collect!" a lot :)

this month: 13/153.71
    this year: 104/1106.56

Ah yes!! I remember it well. That's just how I started.... you just get sucked in more and more..... now look at me :rolleyes:

6.88 in 35.45 (5.12 pace)

Easy couple of miles, ending with 10x100(ish) strides.

this month: 14/160.59
    this year: 105/1113.44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck tomorrow Ray. The cheerleading squad will be out so we'll give you a roar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

shazkea wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Ray. The cheerleading squad will be out so we'll give you a roar.

Where are ye all planning on standing?
    I am thinking off doing my Long run, somewhere near the park so I can stop off mid run to watch the action...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where are ye all planning on standing?
    I am thinking off doing my Long run, somewhere near the park so I can stop off mid run to watch the action...

Not a clue meno, prob somewhere as they come out of the furry glen. We'll keep an eye out for you.

shazkea wrote: »
    Not a clue meno, prob somewhere as they come out of the furry glen. We'll keep an eye out for you.

Good stuff, I'll look out for ye around there.
    I really want to see Bekele. (and Ray of course :P)

Good stuff, I'll look out for ye around there.
    I really want to see Bekele. (and Ray of course :P)

Have you ever see the two together? See where I'm going with it?;)

• Advertisement

Any word?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Any word?
    He's on his way home. He thinks he might have scraped in on target.

39:58 on his watch. There'll be some nail biting waiting for the chip times :p. Well done Ray, great time on that course.

39:58 on his watch. There'll be some nail biting waiting for the chip times :p. Well done Ray, great time on that course.

Fantastic time wow!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ray will be the first one buying the Irish Indo in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well deserved!! Congrats on a wonderful day!! :)

10k in 39.58?

Arrived at the race a little later than planned, almost one o'clock, so didn't have time for a warm-up run. Just over to see the women off, give RacoonQueen a wave, and get into the pen for the AAI start. I thought we'd have the road in front to warm-up in but no - everyone else has already done that :rolleyes: It was good to get in the club runners pen though, no worries about getting stuck behind a mass of walkers and slow runners.
    Once the race started... well there are two versions - what I thought happened, and what the Garmin says happened. I thought that after a couple of k (and a shout at Tony Audenshaw) I settled into a steady cadence, longer strides on the downs, shorter on the ups, steady pace on the flat. What actually happened is that the first two k were fine - 3.53 and 3.52 - but the third k was terrible, down to 4.00. Luckily we hit the Kyber soon after, and I could put my master plan into action - peg it down the hills :D I think the temptation is usually to take the downhills as recovery, but I was determined to keep the effort levels constant, speeding up on the downhills and not pushing the uphills too much. So ks 4 and 5 were 3.56 and 3.50, which put me back on track. First 5k finished in 19.3x
    I knew that gave me a chance for sub-40, so no excuse to ease off. k6 was up Military, but not too bad at 3.59. At the top, just a few metres in front of me two deer ran across the road, crashing into a runner, but everyone seemed to be okay to carry on. Through the s-bends, and I was doing much worse than I thought. I thought I was keeping a good pace through the bends and towards the glen, but actually I was dropping off again, k7 and 8 were 4.00 and 4.08. I had my eye on a clubmate in front through here - he's faster than me on the short stuff but I have the legs on him in a longer race and I was gaining fast. Through the glen in 4.11 (with a wave to the cheerleaders! where were the pompoms???) and a quick check of the watch at the 9k mark, just as I caught up with the clubmate. Average pace was showing as 3.59 and I knew that wouldn't be good enough, I was sure to have lost some distance over the race. Told the clubmate we needed a fast last k to get under 40, and starting winding it up. The last k is nice and flat, and pretty straight to the finish line, good for building up speed. Got a shout from meno near the end, and my name called out by the announcer, and managed a final sprint over the line. Enough to get under? Will have to wait until tomorrow:rolleyes:

That's really tight, the garmin link is showing 39:59. Fingers crossed for you, though you'll smash that time at the Kclub next week anyway!!

Take the Garmin unless you delayed a few seconds after the first mat? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Ray. You looked very comfortable when we saw you. Hope our synchronised dance routine with the pom poms didn't distract you.

Advertisement