Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black taxi drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Black taxi drivers in Cork always tend to charge more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Julesie wrote: »
    I live in London and I literally never would never even consider the colour of the driver's skin to be a deciding factor as to whether I would get in the cab or not. In part this is probably helped by the fact London is a very multicultural city so being non-white does not imply you are fresh off the boat with no clue about the city. Also the fact the driver must have passed the knowledge implies a minimum standard.

I'm in awe (well awe is a bit strong :)) of people who pass the knowledge test.
    Takes months of study and there are courses where you go around on a moped to learn the routes. Fair play!!

Maybe each region in Ireland needs a more advanced test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dean820 wrote: »

Have you not got meters down there in Cork, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I got in a taxi saturday night - black driver. He knew where he was going and kept his mouth shut so the g/f and I could chat. Up comes a garda alco check - the guys pretends he doesn't know what to do. He keeps up this story so much that the guard was about to arrest him for feck sake. Then he does it properly and we get on our way. I thought he was probably new to it and let it slide till I looked at his license, he's been a taxi man since 2004. I hardly believe he's never been breathalysed ffs. He only played the "i'm foreign and don't understand" because he'd get an extra couple of quid - no tip for him.

Maybe this was addressed already but I'd have been asking he stop the meter.

Now if it was a garda roadblock due to an accident, fair enough and these things happen.
    But not a checkpoint for drivers, why wasn't the meter stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

I couldn't care less what color skin the taxi driver has, they have to raise money to support themselves and families too.I don't like when Irish taxi drivers put little Irish flags on their windows either.Every time I got a taxi driven by a black driver he always knew his way and wasn't getting lost.

I know alot people who even see a black cab driver first in the taxi rank and they skip his car just because of his skin colour and go to the guy behind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well it could be false. It's just the way the fella said it and that he said he received the cheque himself. If he made it up i don't know why because we weren't talking about race issues or immigrants and he didn't seem to care about them issues either. I've heard a lot of other stories about them getting free houses, cars, etc and they always seem like the usual crap. Something just came across as truthful from your man.

I heard this so much ('they get the free....' stories) that I actually began to wonder if in fact they weren't true. I looked into it. I looked high and low, and can tell you now theres not a word of truth in it.

And yes, I've had people I've known, some for over 25 years swear, heatedly, that its entirely true. The sad truth is people want a target, particularily when things get bad. They don't want a hard one, and they don't want to think too much about the facts. What I've always found suspect is the lack of material to counter this from the Government.
    Not sure but i've a mate who had a fine to pay back for damaging a pub and he went to the HSE and said he couldn't afford it etc etc and he got a cheque from them. So they do seem to issue money for none health reasons.

"Emergency payments" I think they're called. There's a limit on how high they go, but yes, they do exist. Ye wouldn't be getting a car out of it though, nor are they "black people" only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Last year I got a taxi into town. Black taxi driver. No probs. Just about to pull up to the N3 roundabout from Blanch direction. About a car length from the stop line and this car swerves right infront of us and stops at the light. Unbelievable move and great reactions from my taxi driver in avoiding a crash. Quick as a flash the driver yells out: "F*cking eastern european b*stards with their big piece of sh1t audis. Can't drive for sh1t," blah blah. Made me smile to hear how times have changed.

As for the OP, well, I'm sometimes concerned if I don't see a satnav. Purely, as someone said because an Irish driver would probably know the way better if I was going somewhere I did not know myself.

I would prefer to see a different colour taxi sign for part time and full time taxi drivers though. I would rather give my money to a fulltime driver whose livelihood depended on the driving rather than someone looking to make a few extra bob

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

javaboy wrote: »
    I don't much care for the implication behind the words "fluffed up". I'm just trying to be as rational about it as possible. If you look at it from a logical and emotionally detached point of view, it does make sense.

I appreciate that. And Im not part of the "you cant say that or its racist" brigade either.

wrote:
    No it doesn't make that assumption. You've taken a probability and turned it into an absolute. The point is that on balance of probability a white taxi driver is more likely to know where they're going than a black taxi driver. That doesn't mean every white taxi driver will know where he's going or that every black taxi driver won't.

But here in lies the problem. You are saying that it doesn't make an assumption but then mention probability. Thats still an assumption until proven otherwise. And I think we are agreed on white irish taxi drivers that also are either chancers or don't know every route in the city. The crux of the issue is that there are incompetent and drivers that lack experience, not just incompetent black taxi drivers. The thread purposefully singled out black taxi drivers rather than foreign nationals, so it is quite implicit in its intent.

Either way in the absence into any study on the quality of driver and their ethnic background, there is not evidence to support the notion that black taxi drivers are any less competent/corrupt/happy/sad than white Irish taxi drivers.

wrote:
    That's fair enough. It's just that on potentially controversial topics like this, all too often people are afraid to voice certain opinions/facts because of the threat of being labelled racist. I just didn't think minidazzler deserved to be lumped in the "Adreeen I'n not racist but...." crowd even if he did say it.

Sure these threads bring out the worst in people. But it doesn't benefit us to simply make the topic taboo either.

Despite what you think, I agree with your point about balance. But generalised comments without adequate substance behind them creates a sense of prejudice and sets a tone for the discussion.

Perhaps I was a bit hasty with minidazzler, if so I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I don't care what colour the taxi driver is. As long as I get a good conversation with them. :D Its part of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ah, so much to say, so many rules to prevent it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

faceman wrote: »
    I appreciate that. And Im not part of the "you cant say that or its racist" brigade either.

Fair enough. Sorry to imply otherwise.
    But here in lies the problem. You are saying that it doesn't make an assumption but then mention probability. Thats still an assumption until proven otherwise.

I'd disagree on that definition of probability. The only thing I would be assuming would be that on average a white taxi driver is more likely to know their way around than a black taxi driver (however slim that margin might be) for all the reasons I outlined in my first post in this thread.

To put it in a less emotive (actually it's probably more emotive - but less controversial :)) context, in a match between Manchester United and Hull, I believe that there is a higher probability of a Man U win than any other outcome. That doesn't mean I'm assuming it. I'm just taking into account the relevant info and making an informed guess. Same goes for this topic.
    The crux of the issue is that there are incompetent and drivers that lack experience, not just incompetent black taxi drivers. The thread purposefully singled out black taxi drivers rather than foreign nationals, so it is quite implicit in its intent.

Well in fairness it was the sight of a rank entirely composed of black taxi drivers that prompted the OP to start the thread and the topic was specifically about an African service niche with reference to other non-black niches e.g. Vietnamese dry cleaners iirc. If the OP had other intentions in starting this thread, well that's a different story but in the context of the original post, it's obvious the thread is going to focus on black taxi drivers.
    Either way in the absence into any study on the quality of driver and their ethnic background, there is not evidence to support the notion that black taxi drivers are any less competent/corrupt/happy/sad than white Irish taxi drivers.

I'm not aware of anything beyond the anecdotal (or even worse, AH polls :D) to say either way. And fwiw I've had little or no bad taxi drivers of any colour, gender, creed or hair colour. But in the absence of any study and leaving anecdotes aside, I still stand by my earlier assertion that on the basis that a white driver is more likely to have spent more time in Ireland than a black driver, they are more (even if it is only 0.01%) likely to know their way around.
    Despite what you think, I agree with your point about balance. But generalised comments without adequate substance behind them creates a sense of prejudice and sets a tone for the discussion.

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dean820 wrote: »

Only ones not born in Cork. The others are used to Cork people and don't suffer the same wear and tear having them in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

on OP

I have no problem myself at any time. But I know girls who be mates would never ever get into cab at 3.am in morning even if its only cab there that was driven by african.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

javaboy wrote: »
    Fair enough. Sorry to imply otherwise.

I actually had a story to tell with my original comment but I must have deleted before posting hence making my comment look a bit abrupt! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

This is pathetic really. People honestly believe that the "eastern health board" are handing out cheques for 10k to africans in ireland?
    I thought even the most stupid have stopped believing that myth. The Eastern Health Board ffs:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Zadkiel wrote: »
    But why would it be a Healthboard cheque to start him on a career path?
    I find it hard to believe tbh.

I actually have come across his first hand , worked in a retail store that catered for Business/Small home offices, and on more than 5 occasion's we have had customers come in and obtain a quote for lets say an office start up package (usually between 1-3.5K) and then they would come back with a social welfare cheque.

Strangely enough some of the customers were of Irish Origin and some of African Origin !!!

I actually have come across his first hand , worked in a retail store that catered for Business/Small home offices, and on more than 5 occasion's we have had customers come in and obtain a quote for lets say an office start up package (usually between 1-3.5K) and then they would come back with a social welfare cheque.

Strangely enough some of the customers were of Irish Origin and some of African Origin !!!

Now would that not have been a perfectly legitimate business start up grant?

Not the same as the "magic money, houses and cars for dem immigrants" grant which some people seem to believe exists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Now would that not have been a perfectly legitimate business start up grant?

Not the same as the "magic money, houses and cars for dem immigrants" grant which some people seem to believe exists.

My point was that all Nationalities are applicable for this grant !

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

You mean to tell me, that this is something that's readily available to anyone with half the sense to go and look into it, regardless of race colour or creed?

This is an OUTRAGE!

tongue firmly in cheek in case it was missed.

Ah yeah I got that. Sorry my dials seem to stuck on sarcastic today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Zadkiel wrote: »
    But why would it be a Healthboard cheque to start him on a career path?
    I find it hard to believe tbh.

Would suggest that if there's any truth in it that it's probably along the lines of.

Arrive Ireland
    Claim Assylum
    Wait 2 years on "direct provision"
    Granted Assylum
    Apply for benefits
    get benefits backdated to date of application
    Apply for BWEA
    Get BWEA and apply for €1000 grant
    collect dole on a reducing basis over 4 years and keep medical cards etc.

Use the cheque issued for backdated benefits/grant to finance the car/plate or whatever use the dole to subsidise the cost of the taxi....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Id rather get an Irish taxi but if a blaxi shows up im not gonna say no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Yeah I just came to say Blaxi, it's really all I have to add as I'm not a racist, only like the word play... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TravisStyles

long time lurker i felt i should register to add my experiences in the taxi industry. ive been driving a taxi in dublin the last five years. im white irish.

as the OP mentioned that it’s not uncommon for foreign workers to ‘colonise’ an industry. but worldwide in multicultural countries the taxi industries always have a lot of foreigners driving the cabs. it was my experience in toronto that every taxi i got was an indian or pakistani drver. none of which had much english. the only colonization so far here, would be on some of the ranks, the end of grafton street, outside the foggy dew on dame street and o'donoghue's on merrion row. these three ranks at the moment are mostly about 80% black drivers. you still get a few diehard irish flying the flag. i never use them ranks myself due to the fact that they are too much trouble to get on to in the first place. im constantly coming around by trinity college and seeing cabs getting tickets for joing the back of the que but off the rank. but tbh its a lot of stress to be working those ranks all the time. cops contantly on your back, causing other drivers on the road stress and all that results from that, and high oddball fares factor too.

so judging by looking at these ranks, i would wager a guess that the reason they are constanly mostly black is a conscious decision on their part to stop the whole thing of people getting the next cab cos the driver is back. what happens when they're all black drivers? communites are communities. you know how it is with the irish abroad and sorting each other out with building jobs and stuff. it doesnt take a great stretch of thinking to see that these lads have probably got together and decided on the saturation approach. at least it means they will get a job. you cant fault someone for queing for work.

which is where my main problem lies. blatant bold as brass que skipping. if it wasnt fcuking with my own nights work i could laugh at it. this phenomenon started about 3 years ago. from what ive seen it started on the 'rank' outside coppers on harcourt street. as its not a legitimate designated rank it is open to all sorts of loopholes and que skipping crimes. it started with the 'circlers' guys who would spend as long as it took just doing a loop around harcourt street and wexfored/camden street. when i used that rank on monday on tuesday nights, when its the only show in town then, before the mad rush at 3 it may take anytime up to an hour to get to the top. so in that time i watched the same cabs just going round and round. from my observations the vast majority of these drivers were black.
    the thinking behind the whole circling thing is that as you come down the rank what you want to see is people getting into the first few cabs. as the first two cabs pull off, people are still getting into the third cab. so the guy coming down the side of the rank just pulls in at the gap at the top and steals some boozed up fare who doesnt care how he got there. thing is, sometimes ive gotten all the way to the top of the rank and seen the same guys going by who would have been getting a legit fare like myself by that time. For each their method i guess when it pays it pays. its not a legit rank, but on any rank i have worked on everyone gets the idea of queing. and most times if people intenionally or mistakenly get into the second or third taxi, the driver will generally tell them to get the first, and if they insist on taking the second one the driver will usually get out and tell the first guy he tried. i get it a lot as i drive a van, a lot of people dont like them. too high for old people and students somehow have it in their heads we are more expensive. ALL TAXIS ARE THE SAME RATE. the thing is unless you are over 70 you're not going to try skip a que in a shop. it feels shte gettin skipped too after queing up for so long.

but the latest trend which has only been happening the last year is 'que augmentation'. like last night for instance. for about an hour there was a lot of students coming out of buck whayleys on lesson street up to trinity hall. so as usual a que of taxis forms. im at the top. this guy drives past us all, pulls in in front of me, and then starts to reverse arm and head out the window backing up as bold as brass. so now im not next away any more. id gotten out of my cab before to have words with guys who practised this tachnique and just been met with a guy either staring straight out his front window or someone telling me that its not a legitimet rank and he can stop where he likes. Btw ive only ever seen black guys doing this. Not white, asian or Indian. On one occasion a guy reversed up to the top of the rank I was on. I was about 3 cars back.I was talking to a homeless girl out my window at the time. The two of us just marveling at the cheek of it. So I gave her a fiver and she went and stood outside his cab directing people away from his cab explaning that he had skipped the que. After a few minutes the guy hopes out of his cab screaming that he was losing work. That’s some bloody neck. Is that racist of me.? Cos he’s black. It was cos he skipped the que.

My experience of being a passanger in a black guys cab have been fifty fifty. I usually only tell the guy im a taxi driver too after ive seen if he has a clue where he’s going. About half knew where they were going. A couple of guys spent the whole journey on the phone. That’s bad form. One guy was getting directions via phone from what I could make out. And recently about 4 times as I sat on a rank in the suburbs a taxi has pulled up with in a passanger inside looking for dierections. I usual ask him wheres your map. ITS IN THE BOOT. Twice ive been told that. If I don’t know where somewhere is. I pull in, stop the meter and check the map.

Insofar as all the urban myths about black taxi drivers im not sure. I don’t think it is true that they get given taxis by the eastern health bord. That’s kind of like the storey of the African woman leaving the buggy outside the bus and saying she’ll get another one from the social. I’ve heard that from a lot of people who actually seen it. These things all stink of propaganda. Like the girl who got into a taxi with a black driver only to find another black guy sleeping behind the seat. I don’t think its true about them only needing 40% in the psv test either. that couldn’t possibly be true. Could it?

The thing about foreign drivers in general and following people around bends and beeping them looking for a fare. In different countries there are different practices. My experience in asia was seeing the taxi drivers beep at people as they went by to get their attention. its not too common here,… yet. The few times ive seen guys doing that they have been, from my guess, eastern European guys. Maybe this is they way they work at home too.

In regards to the gps thing. Personally I don’t use one. I can see how they would be handy tho. Especially in around housing estates. but everyone knows they don’t bring you the best way. If I don’t know where a place is I find it on my map and then use my own knowledge to get there. A gps wont take into account traffic and different changeable factors. Tho I had a head start as I was a motorbike currior before I did this.
    So how to guys get licences who don’t know where they’re going? Well in my experience. When I applied for my psv I went and did a 2 day precourse. Just to be sure. ive heard these courses may act as acreditation towards the actual test. maybe not.

I guess it was a rant but its just been my experience as an observer and a taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Great first post, Travis! Welcome to Boards, btw. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I've noticed that a lot of the bus drivers are now black and I believe it's a very good thing, however they seem to have a few "bad" habits :D( from the POV of the older Irish drivers). These include;

- They seem to be proud to actually wear the uniform and keep it clean and wear it properly, unlike the Irish ones who seem to wear what they want regardless of whether it's even clean

- They seem to believe that the timetable is actually a list of times that they are supposed to leave the terminas at rather than a suggestion

- They drive at safe speeds even if they are due a break

- They actually seem to like their jobs, unlike a lot of the Irish guys who act as if they are doing the company a favour by actually driving the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Grimes wrote: »
    Ill probably be called racsist for this but whatever. I do alot of late night driving and I have noticed that foreign taxi drivers, particularly African drivers are highly agressive and dangerous on the roads. Its scary its like dodgems at times, while Irish taxis are notoriously bad for stopping wherever they like the African drivers make them look like learners.

Does that make me racist, I find it hard to tell nowadays.

Yes, and you like to generalise aswell. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's not the taxi drivers fault. It's the Government's fault for giving out so many plates. It doesn't matter who takes the job as a taxi driver or their colour, but there is certainly too many plates out there and people are losing their jobs because they aren't bringing in enough money each week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement