Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Far Cry 2

• 23-08-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it's the first I heard. I got a spam mail from Ubisoft that was all about this.

It looks pretty cool so far.

http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/index.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

wait i thought crysis was going to be its spiritual successor? its kinda similar to it anyway.

I take it that its gonne be using cry engine 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Crysis is being developed by Crytek, who developed Far Cry.
    Far Cry 2 is being developed in-house by Ubisoft, who published Far Cry and still own the IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

neGev wrote:
    Crysis is being developed by Crytek, who developed Far Cry.
    Far Cry 2 is being developed in-house by Ubisoft, who published Far Cry and still own the IP.
    They also made the console versions of Far Cry... nuff said!

It sounds surprisingly good, based on the EG coverage from GC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There was a big article in last months pc-gamer which made this sound quite good. Some great things like roaming bands of enemies that have three basic needs (food, water, sleep) and will move to different area's to get them. Similar to the Radiant A.I in Oblivion...only better...and with guns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

played crysis at i31, words cant even describe how amazing it looks to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I did'nt like the first one,doubt i'll be getting this :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

dammit. Bioshock (about to be installed tonight) , Crysis (eagerly awaited) and now this.

ffs. could they not have released these when I was single so I had time properly give these the love and attention they deserve instead of having to split it with some other person.

they're ruining my life!

(if my better and far far prettier and superior half is reading this, I hope you can tell that I am just joking. dont hurt me. please!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I hear ya

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Far Cry 2 Gameplay Video

Looks mightly impressive especially for a pre-alpha. If it promises all that he says then I can't wait for this! Start a fire a mile away and let the wind take it into your enemies camp, lots of possibilites.

Also healing being done by pulling bullets out of yourself or popping your shoulder back in. Cool take on it though wonder how it will be implemented into full game.

And the glider is back.... sweeeet :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think this is out on the 24th, which isn't too long now. Really looking forward to it - by all accounts this is a contender for GOTY. Now to find somewhere I can buy it digitally. In their retarded wisdom, you can't buy Ubisoft games on Steam etc. unless you are from that place where all the second-hand europeans live.

Also, more great news. They are using everyone's favorite SecureRom DRM. Not a fan but won't put me off. FYI, Ubisoft say the following about it:
    # You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
    # Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
    # You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)
    # Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
    # Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've never been to bothered by the DRM's, to be honest. I usually install a game and play the **** out of it. Unless it's the greatest game in the world, I generally won't play it again.

I was on gamespot earlier and they've got a vidoe of the editor (haven't had a chance to watch it yet) and some pictures of maps that the developers made for fun. Some of them are amazing. Well worth a gander. I can't post them here at the moment, and to be honest, couldn't be arsed doing it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

this looks great. i read a review of it in PC gamer and they freakin loved it.
    i could really see myself getting lost in it.....but having seen the videos i want to upgrade first so i can play it at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dont care about the secureRom.

well excited about FC2. looks to be the dogs bollocks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm really looking forward to this.

Not too hapy bout secureRom but I usually pirate games and buy them if I enjoy them. Bought COD4 for my own key for multiplayer, bought Crysis as I wanted to support the last pc exclusive developer, had both before I bought them, I'm definitely buying Clear Sky next time I'm in Galway as I'm really enjoying it, I'll buy this if its good, but I'll pirate it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Well I'm getting on 360 so DRM won't bother me. Looks unbelievable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

humanji wrote: »
    I was on gamespot earlier and they've got a vidoe of the editor (haven't had a chance to watch it yet) and some pictures of maps that the developers made for fun. Some of them are amazing. Well worth a gander. I can't post them here at the moment, and to be honest, couldn't be arsed doing it later.

Shameful and you started this thread - http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/farcry2/news.html?sid=6199399&tag=topslot;title;1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Looks very nice, I think I might try get my hands on this when it's out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Early reviews seem to be very positive of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

musician wrote: »
    I don't have access to gamespot in work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'll be interested to see exactly "how" story driven your actions are because there doesn't seem to be anything about the gameplay that separates it from any other FPS.

This game seems to be hinging on the malleable story and the true sandbox environment. Both game features I've yet to see pulled off really well. Far Cry had the sandbox feel, but it was still linear for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well if you are inclined to believe PC Gamer they said it was the first game that had successfully pulled the sandbox idea off.

musician wrote: »
    Well if you are inclined to believe PC Gamer they said it was the first game that had successfully pulled the sandbox idea off.

the problem with sandbox games that I've seen is that they try and work a linear story into a sandbox environment.

An example is in Crysis Warhead. Instead of getting in a humvee and driving down the road I decided to swim around the road and go directly to my destination. Half way there I must of passed some trigger point as the guy on the radio starts going "ok see those guys up ahead, I'm going to take them out" then I hear this massive explosion in the distance. I'm sure if I'd gone along the road it would of been spectacular, but I didn't and missed out on it.

The same thing would happen in Far Cry when I'd bypass some trigger point which would mess things up.

If they are going to make it sandbox they need to make the storyline very malleable so that it changes depending on which route you take or which person you kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

L31mr0d wrote: »
    If they are going to make it sandbox they need to make the storyline very malleable so that it changes depending on which route you take or which person you kill.

According to the PC Gamer review, this is the case. When a buddy dies, they are not coming back. The story then is shaped by a different one.

My question though, is with regards the console version (my PC is fubared). Is there a co-op mode in it, either online or offline?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Otacon wrote: »
    According to the PC Gamer review, this is the case. When a buddy dies, they are not coming back. The story then is shaped by a different one.

My question though, is with regards the console version (my PC is fubared). Is there a co-op mode in it, either online or offline?
    In fairness, it's possible to have a lineaer story within a "malleable" sandbox. Look at Mass Effect; there was a definitive linear story, but you could still alter the variables within that story to a degree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fairness, it's possible to have a lineaer story within a "malleable" sandbox. Look at Mass Effect; there was a definitive linear story, but you could still alter the variables within that story to a degree.

But it was still a linear story and very little really changed. Probably the only game that has tried it is Boiling Point Road to Hell and it just went to show how ambitious and difficult it was since that game was a buggy mess. Stalker tried the same but had to be severely cut.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But it was still a linear story and very little really changed. Probably the only game that has tried it is Boiling Point Road to Hell and it just went to show how ambitious and difficult it was since that game was a buggy mess. Stalker tried the same but had to be severely cut.
    Boiling point was a small studio affair though yeh? Ditto STALKER; maybe all the sub-genre needs is a wealthy & strong enough studio to put one together. Here's hoping anway

looks like its already been leaked to the interwebs for the 360... there goes their day zero sales :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

[pc]Collectors Ed on play-asia for ~€42 delivered.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7s-77-7-49-en-15-far+cry+2-70-3362.html

has anyone else seen the trailers of this for the console. It looks horrendous compared to the early teasers and tech demos. I guess they have really had to step back the graphics to get it to run on the console. But still, it looks worse than CoD4 imo.

I'll be waiting for the PC version so. From the most recent trailer though it looks like a first person GTA clone. Where you are given a series of missions and you can do them in any order, but the storyline is still very linear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

http://uplay.uk.ubi.com/index.php?video=4l6vnmes

Short video of the map editor that is included. Apparently (i cant see it in work), its flipping amazing.

Advertisement