Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Dealing

• 22-04-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I have a load of scrap copper I want to sell. Someone told me recently that you need to apply for a license to see scrap to a scrap dealer, has anyone got any info on this or sells any scrap themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

No you don't ,theres a lad in ranelagh that gives good prices.
    I got 750 euro the last time I went over. I can't remember the name ,but hes got a big add in the golden pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Nice one dude, I'll take a gander in the golden pages so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There's another scrap metal merchant at Harold's Cross bridge - just beside Gordons Fuel Depot and the Glimmerman pub. I've never had any dealings with them personally, but I'm sure it's be worth getting a price from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I usually take min eto Hammond lane down on the docks.

Went twice laet last year and it worked out around €4 a kilo.

I got the number for that place in ranelagh so I'll give them a call tomorrow. Also got a number for the place in Hammond lane so I'll get a price off both of them. Saw in the golden pages they take sheathed cable too which is handy as I have a load of that which I wasn't going to be bothered stripping.

• Advertisement

Can you stick up the prices when you get them? I've 5 or 6 cylinders and a load of copper that I need to sell. Cheers.

McGovern in ranelagh Copper €4.80 per kilo. Lead is €0.90
    Hammond lane Copper €4.40 per kilo. Lead is €1.00

where bouts is McGoverns in Renalagh?

I'm working in the area for the next couple of days so it'd be handy

Stekelly wrote:
    where bouts is McGoverns in Renalagh?

I'm working in the area for the next couple of days so it'd be handy

It's a hard place to find ,you would be best to find it on a map before you head over. It's up a small alley and a couple of sharp turns,off ranelagh's main street.

FX, I dont suppose you were on to the place in Harolds cross?

• Advertisement

Mind were you go with scrap copper ,you can be ripped off in a second.
    I was quite happy with the guy in ranelagh ,I've been ripped off a couple of times elsewhere and it's hard to deal with scrap merchants once your stuff is on the scales.

The only place I've been to is hammond lane. seems a decent enough set up. But I suppose there no real way of knowing if the scales in calibrated in their favour at all (not suggesting it is)

I wont ever go back to the one at harolds cross ,it's just at the canal down a slope. Never again:mad:

Fair enough, not going to argue with a recommendation like that :) . Have you an adress or directions to the one in ranalegh? Cheers

Without sounding like a complete ponse ,I actually used a gps thing to get there ,so I'm not sure how to explain.
    You could pop into an esso on your way and use one of their dublin maps to locate it ;) ,save you buying one:)

I just presume everyone has a street map of dublin ,I've about 5 of them now ,all with various pages missing :mad: :D

www.mcgovernrecycling.com

Didn't get onto the place in Harolds Cross.
    I have it weighed myself so I know how much I have. My father got ripped off by a scrap dealer years ago. Next time he went back he had melted a load of lead into copper pipes and made his money back from them.

Ended up going to Hammond lane agine. Got €667 for 145 kg (€4.60 a kilo)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

does anybody know anything about the one in st margarets. think its called o'reilly's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Good Place

I found a place to sell scrap copper a company in Duleek Irish Metals no messing with the scales you can jump up and weigh yourself first .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Good Place, as your new here please take a moment to read the forum rules, and please don't bump up old threads in what could be viewed as advertising if the company you mention has any links to you,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

This thread is around 1 year old, so I hope this post gets noticed!:cool:

I have a large collection of copper pipes, of varying sizes, and a large copper cylinder, small amount of lead {maybe only 7 KG or so} and a significant weight of iron and steel.

Is there anyone in particular I should go to?

Is there any form the copper should be in? I have large amounts of wire, very neat, copper elements from motors and the like.

I am basically looking to get rid of, and I dont want to end up with less than the cost of the diesel to transport it!!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 evilmouse

Why do I get the sneaky suspicion that in Ireland we don't get the correct price per kilo/tonne for what metals we are scrapping? For example, I've noticed over the last few days the low price companies are quoting for scrap batteries. Looking at a UK website for a guide on prices, I've found they pay more in the UK for scrap metal than over here. So for my scrap batteries for the month of September, I should be getting £150/€168 per tonne. I've never got that amount for scrap batteries before. Yes, I understand thats in the UK, but why or how should it be so different to the prices over here? Can anybody shine some light on this topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

evilmouse wrote: »
    Why do I get the sneaky suspicion that in Ireland we don't get the correct price per kilo/tonne for what metals we are scrapping? For example, I've noticed over the last few days the low price companies are quoting for scrap batteries. Looking at a UK website for a guide on prices, I've found they pay more in the UK for scrap metal than over here. So for my scrap batteries for the month of September, I should be getting £150/€168 per tonne. I've never got that amount for scrap batteries before. Yes, I understand thats in the UK, but why or how should it be so different to the prices over here? Can anybody shine some light on this topic?

The fact that metals are heavy, that they need to transported to a facility that melts and produces ingots etc.
    We are on an island with no landbridge to the UK mainland/europe and as such our prices will always reflect that.
    If you can fill a truck with baled copper/palletized batteries etc and wish to pay for a ferry journey to the UK you may be able to achieve that price.
    Want to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was in M'Govern's in ranelagh on monday...got €45 for 13 kilos of copper and 3 kilos of lead.
    Didn't ask how much was either making..just had it lying in a bag in the back of the van and was passing close to there.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I was in M'Govern's in ranelagh on monday...got €45 for 13 kilos of copper and 3 kilos of lead.
    Didn't ask how much was either making..just had it lying in a bag in the back of the van and was passing close to there.

Went into McGoverns today....bad day to be driving around town looking for a small hidden little place.

Could not believe it when my 4 bags of lead and 3 bags of copper came to €300. On the kisser €300.

Went up to the window and out came six-50's smooth as you like.

For anyone who is interested, as you drive thru Ranelagh from the south, keep going until you PASS the junction at the bottom of the village. Take the very next left hand turn up a tiny alley which is bridged by an arch of stone. You will know the turn to take as it as at the lights. Dont take any left hand turns that actually go up a proper road. The lane you need to go up is a proper one way affair. If you are coming from the South, make sure you pass the junction which leads up to the Lawn Tennis Club.....keep on past that and be looking out for the lights. The turn is right there.

From the North, cross the canal and come through the lights over the brigde at Portobello College. Drive straight ahead to the lights I have already described and take a right at those lights {if you can, we were pulling 3 point turns in traffic all day:D}

The address is "Price Place" but forget about getting directions from the locals. Just ask them where McGoverns is. We asked a posh chap in a Range Rover and he didnt know what we were on about till we mentioned scrap. The minute we mentioned scrap he was all details.

Basically, the place is up an alley on the north side of Ranelagh village a pissing distance from the canal.

We went in, were invited to back our motor up, unloaded, threw the bags on. They did a little special weigh for copper wire which is still in its plastic. Got a different rate for that. Some of the regular copper still had its brass fittings on....they just weighed it in the plastic bags NQA. Whole thing didnt take 5 mins. In-Out, cash in hand. Gave us a hand written statement. Dont know what to make of that but the preponderance of the weight we brought up today was lead. And we still came out flush. Proper order.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The fact that metals are heavy, that they need to transported to a facility that melts and produces ingots etc.
    We are on an island with no landbridge to the UK mainland/europe and as such our prices will always reflect that.
    If you can fill a truck with baled copper/palletized batteries etc and wish to pay for a ferry journey to the UK you may be able to achieve that price.
    Want to try?

An answer befitting your namesake.

Personally, I think I did OK out of my trip to McGoverns.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Ended up going to Hammond lane agine. Got €667 for 145 kg (€4.60 a kilo)

Going rate for copper is now around €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I did scrap for years as a teenager if your in town the best place i found on the soundside is Mullens on the northside P&D metal.

Not to sure if they are still going but they paid more than mcgoverns.

WHats the story with rooting through skips?

If a fella throws waste wire in a skip, and I crawl in and take it out, and he comes out of his house and demands i put it back, where do I stand?

This happened with a skip on the side of the road in Bray. Not on private property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

IT Loser wrote: »
    WHats the story with rooting through skips?

If a fella throws waste wire in a skip, and I crawl in and take it out, and he comes out of his house and demands i put it back, where do I stand?

This happened with a skip on the side of the road in Bray. Not on private property.

Nobody in the land will charge you with removing stuff from a skip, The hardest part is proving you got it in the skip. How the law sees it is if the person can prove it was theres it logically asks why would they ask for it back. Unless its a contractor stealing copper in which s/he cannot prove its theirs.

Honestly Its not a worthwhile business any more! I did it a long time!

Advertisement