UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!! - Page 101 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-01-2015, 17:07   #1501
shell182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStupidGuy View Post
Yeah I'm over here now since last August. If I'm being honest, it's the most expensive place I've ever been to. But I've heard that most of the UAE is the same, with Dubai being the worst by far. Nah I just mean that if you want to go out etc... you'll have to rent a car or get taxis everywhere as the school is far away from Manama. Like a taxi in and out would be about €32 if you're lucky. Of course you'll probably split that bill with others. Then the average beer is around 6 or 7 euro if you want a nice one. So if you make a habit of going out drinking, or just going out shopping, to the cinema etc. you'll most likely save very little (if any) money. That's largely the reason people stay two years I think, for the bonus you get.
Really ? Wow I though it was one of the cheaper places. I guess if your far out from town then it can be pricey. Are you near a beach even? OR is there anything recreational to do near where you are?

My main reason for going would be to save, I hear they pay around 1500 euro a month?
Would you be able to give a rough monthly cost for say a phone bill, internet and groceries? Sorry for all the questions!! I just haven't a breeze and would like to be a bit more informed before the interview.

Thanks so much!
Advertisement
Yesterday, 04:38   #1502
BigStupidGuy

Yeah no problem I'm happy to help. I wish I knew a lot more before I came as well, information is hard to get lol.

The school's right next to the beach, but they're man made beaches, so IMO not great. No one ever uses them for fun, they're just not really suitable for that. Within walking distance there is...

Crossfit gym
Small shopping mall
2-3 restaurants
Proper gym
Hospital
Laundry/car rental
Aviary

That's it really. Pay varies depending on your job, but yeah the average is what you say there, around 18,000 tax free a year. Phone prices are a little cheaper than Ireland I think (mobile). Internet is also pretty cheap, nothing to worry about really. I eat a lot, and always cook everything, I also buy as much health/organic food as I can. I spend around 80-100 a week. If you're coming to save money only, then I think Bahrain is probably one of the best places to go.

No problems about the questions, keep asking away, Sabis is pretty secretive about the details.
Yesterday, 10:33   #1503
shell182

Quote:
Yeah no problem I'm happy to help. I wish I knew a lot more before I came as well, information is hard to get lol.

The school's right next to the beach, but they're man made beaches, so IMO not great. No one ever uses them for fun, they're just not really suitable for that. Within walking distance there is...

Crossfit gym
Small shopping mall
2-3 restaurants
Proper gym
Hospital
Laundry/car rental
Aviary

That's it really. Pay varies depending on your job, but yeah the average is what you say there, around 18,000 tax free a year. Phone prices are a little cheaper than Ireland I think (mobile). Internet is also pretty cheap, nothing to worry about really. I eat a lot, and always cook everything, I also buy as much health/organic food as I can. I spend around 80-100 a week. If you're coming to save money only, then I think Bahrain is probably one of the best places to go.

No problems about the questions, keep asking away, Sabis is pretty secretive about the details.
Are there local markets that you can go to buy veg etc?
Sounds pretty ok over there....would you do it again if you were to go back in time? LOL.
Whats the place like that they put you up in?
Yesterday, 13:15   #1504
BigStupidGuy

There's a really fancy local market across the road called Alosra, you can get really high quality food there of all varieties. I usually get organic peanut butter etc there. You can get any type of fruit and veg you want also. Twice a week a bus goes in and out of Manama for free also. I always use that time to go on a big shop each week. Be advised though that fresh vegetables are EXPENSIVE. I pretty much just eat frozen veg and fresh banans/apples for that now. Although even frozen veg is expensive in comparison to Ireland.

The accommodation is really nice. I was surprised how nice it is actually. And it's free! Best of all, it's only a 3 min walk to work lol.

You only spend money on..

1: Food
2: Transport/fun if you want more than two free trips into town a week.
3: Internet and phone

I came here to save money, and it's great for me. I happy to be here progressing. I'm getting teaching experience, money, exercise and 6 hours free in the evening to do what I like and still have 9 hours sleep.

I'd be lying if I said that I wanted to stay a long time, as the job is pretty hard (keep in mind I teach music, not an academic subject). But I only need to stay one year for the money I need. So if I had to do it again, I would. What would you be teaching here?
Yesterday, 17:32   #1505
shell182

Quote:
There's a really fancy local market across the road called Alosra, you can get really high quality food there of all varieties. I usually get organic peanut butter etc there. You can get any type of fruit and veg you want also. Twice a week a bus goes in and out of Manama for free also. I always use that time to go on a big shop each week. Be advised though that fresh vegetables are EXPENSIVE. I pretty much just eat frozen veg and fresh banans/apples for that now. Although even frozen veg is expensive in comparison to Ireland.

The accommodation is really nice. I was surprised how nice it is actually. And it's free! Best of all, it's only a 3 min walk to work lol.

You only spend money on..

1: Food
2: Transport/fun if you want more than two free trips into town a week.
3: Internet and phone

I came here to save money, and it's great for me. I happy to be here progressing. I'm getting teaching experience, money, exercise and 6 hours free in the evening to do what I like and still have 9 hours sleep.

I'd be lying if I said that I wanted to stay a long time, as the job is pretty hard (keep in mind I teach music, not an academic subject). But I only need to stay one year for the money I need. So if I had to do it again, I would. What would you be teaching here?
I guess a lot of produce needs to be imported over there..I can't imagine much grows well in a desert lol. It sounds pretty good over there! I'd be going over with the same intentions really (If they offer me the job). I think Physics and Maths though I'm not really sure, Ive asked them to confirm it though. Teaching isn't exactly the profession I want to go into but it would be a handy way of saving saving up for a masters.

So if your only staying for the year is that until the end of the school year or is the contract from august to august?
Advertisement
Yesterday, 17:57   #1506
BigStupidGuy

Well I don't know if I'll be here longer than a year yet, we'll see!

There is a summer school for July-ish kind of time. If you do that then you don't go home for long, although you get another 2 months pay which is nice. A normal year is from September to June.
Yesterday, 18:06   #1507
shell182

Quote:
Well I don't know if I'll be here longer than a year yet, we'll see!

There is a summer school for July-ish kind of time. If you do that then you don't go home for long, although you get another 2 months pay which is nice. A normal year is from September to June.

Thanks BigStupidGuy!! you've put to rest a lot of worries I had about the job! Now lets just hope I get it lol
Today, 14:53   #1508
TempusFugit8

Hi, I stumbled across this thread after I'd applied for a Sabis post (starting Aug 2015).

Just trying to find out as much info as I can before interview. Can anyone give me a rough idea of salary range for an unqualified teacher in Dubai? I've seen the 1500eur/1120gbp figure bandied about but is that still the current benchmark? The determining factor for me will be how much is offered/how much I can save; I'm trying to finance further study.

And (excuse my naïveté/ignorance) is dubai/the UAE relatively safe for single female travellers?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion