Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Website design not selling anything

Options
  • 16-05-2010 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been through some of the posts here and most people are selling something. I'd like to create a web site that sells nothing, just reviews of stuff. So all I need is a professional looking page that I can post reviews on, some pictures and advertising like adwords and its ilk.
    I know nothing about web design so I was thinking of going down the route of www.volusion.com or something like that, but as I'm not selling anything I think it might be overkill.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sounds like a simple blog platform like Wordpress or Moveable Type will be just what you need to start out. Why not use a hosted service like wordpress.com to see how it goes at first? You can always move it to a self hosted service later as or if you need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Sounds like a simple blog platform like Wordpress or Moveable Type will be just what you need to start out. Why not use a hosted service like wordpress.com to see how it goes at first? You can always move it to a self hosted service later as or if you need to?

Word press is a bit restrictive no? How do you put advertising on wordpress anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Plenty of plugins available if you go down the self hosting route. If you are serious about the site though I would thing that focusing on content would be king so that you can get eyeballs to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Try to build your unique views up to about 1,000+ per month before worrying about adsense IMO. Early on it'll just depress you, "Ooh, I made 3 cents this week... and it's in US Dollars".
    Get a blog on blogger.com, they have good adsense integration. Put google analytics on it... all free.
    It's a hard slog though, as aidan said, you have to be able to deliver the content... setting up the infrastructure is the easy part. Figuring out how to write something people will want to read and share is the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Try to build your unique views up to about 1,000+ per month before worrying about adsense IMO. Early on it'll just depress you, "Ooh, I made 3 cents this week... and it's in US Dollars".
    Get a blog on blogger.com, they have good adsense integration. Put google analytics on it... all free.
    It's a hard slog though, as aidan said, you have to be able to deliver the content... setting up the infrastructure is the easy part. Figuring out how to write something people will want to read and share is the challenge.

In my experience it would need to be 1000 p/v per day min.

Here's a sample from one of my sites -

Monday, April 5, 2010 | Pageviews 2,202 | Clicks 24 | CTR 1.09% | eCPM €2.37 | Earnings €5.22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

cormee wrote: »
    Yeah, I just threw out 1,000 uniques/month as the general threshold of my "don't bother, nothing interesting will happen" point... it still won't be worth your while, but you'll have some data to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

cormee wrote: »

Here's a sample from one of my sites -

Monday, April 5, 2010 | Pageviews 2,202 | Clicks 24 | CTR 1.09% | eCPM €2.37 | Earnings €5.22

just out of curosity. What is your website?

Advertisement