Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long have you played WoW? + more

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Please include any long breaks, expansions you skipped and total number of years.
    If you feel like really going in dept, your favorite patch / expansion and which faction you have played most and your favorite class over the years :)

Let see if there is any pattern between us boardies :p
    • I've been playing sense lately vanilla.
    • First character was a priest.
    • I was only level 60 for 3 months before TBC.
    • I always play horde.
    • I started off on al'akir and played there up to the end of wotlk with only a few small breaks between patches in wotlk.
    • I completely skipped cataclysm and came back mid MOP and just stopped playing again about a month ago.
    • I plan to return a month before the new expansion.
    • I rolled a blood elf pala on the launch of TBC and that was my main up till MOP where I decided to roll a mage as my main.
    • My most played class is pally, but I have played end game and some point or another with every class except death knight and monk.
    • My favorite expansion / patch is TBC 2.4.3.

That is about it really :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Playing since late 2005, on and off. But mostly on, as follows:
    • Started leveling a warrior, but couldn't find a raiding guild. Leveled a priest and was snapped up by a MC/BWL guild in 2006
    • Leveled priest to 70 when TBC hit. Got bored of the rep grind and quit to concentrate on college
    • Finished college mid 2008. Leveled a horde mage to 70 and pissed about til WotLK hit
    • Raided Naxx with my mage -> warrior -> priest (in that order) in crappy guilds before moving to my current guild with my priest, mid-Ulduar
    • Raided all content through the rest of WotLK and Cata. Stopped playing after clearing DS due to RL issues
    • Returned a month before MoP hit. Been playing since

Priest is still my baby, but I piss about on my warrior, druid and mage when I feel bored. Have a 50s rogue and 80s DK that I cba leveling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I may go back to priest for the next expansion, I haven't played one sense Wotlk and was also my first class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have had a few failed starts with wow, first started in 2005 with my guild from neocron but didnt really get into it. I lost that account, cant even remember where it was could even have been a US account.

Second account the one i'm currently playing on was created in TBC (2007ish) and i main'd a rouge. I got to the level cap but got bored as i didn't like the rogue and quit again. I eventually restarted this account at the end of WOTLK before cata as a mage.

Didn't like the mage and ended up moving some of my brothers cars to my own account, stole his shaman and hunter. Really got into the shaman and its the one class i really connected with and still consider it my main today, i wander away from it now and again but always come back.

Raided through BWD, FL and DS on shaman/druid, depending on the need and got sick of raiding and turned to pvp (Wpvp in particular), did WPVP across Outland, Sylvanas and bit on Ragnaros.

Currently back on the shaman again dual rolling as enhancement/resto and plan to do a bit of pve/p (flex and bg's ect). I plan having a main on both alliance and horde for the lore, orc shammy horde and ret pally alliance. I am a big lore buff so quite looking forward to exploring the shaman lore but may have to play my horde ret pally if they do something with the bloodknights.

Favorite expansion/patch is probably Cata/Dragon soul because this was probably when i started to understand class mechanics in any decent way, did allot of WPVP and city raiding had allot of fun :). Still plenty more time left in this game for a new favorite :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Playing since launch till around Cata, on and off. Mostly on from launch till WotLK, then Cata for a short while.
    • Originally rolled a Paladin, as i do in most games, but only got him to around lvl45 back when they sucked at that level.
    • Switched to a Warlock, and got him to 60. Mostly PvP's and messed around though, as i wasn't into raiding.
    • Eventually got my Paladin to 60 once they fixed them, and he was my first class through the first two expansions.
    • Did a bit of raiding through Kara, but only with a friend who stopped playing after a while.
    • Got a few characters to 85 in Cata, but got quickly sick of it.
    • Haven't played Mists, but i wouldn't mind coming back for WoD as i'd love to see the old school characters from the original games.

Nice, Plenty of old school players I see :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mardwand

Hey guys playing since March 2007. have only one main character a warrior love his play style. started just questing for a long time didnt have too much time for anything else but have been raiding for the last couple of expansions. LFR was a huge help just to get into it, flex raiding is way better when grouping with friends. ive tried looking for irish guilds on different servers but have found it difficult to find one for me, either they are too hard core or too casual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

• Playing since friends and family alpha, so that's a pretty long time.
    • Started with an Undead Mage but moved to an Undead priest which I raided through vanilla and TBC. Shadow priests were always high in demand and it basically got my way into 40 man raiding end game content which I cleared.
    • Was Horde up until a few months into WOTLK where I changed server and through RAF levelled everything max level to play with a group of Irish lads.
    • Those lads have all become friends now, and we formed a raiding guild in WOTLK that cleared heroic content relatively competitively, also through cataclysm aswell.
    • Guild died off and I lost my spot meaning that since Firelands I've kinda lost interest in wow, unable to find a suitable raiding guild I've been less then interested.
    • Took my first break this expansion, wasn't overly impressed, didn't like dailies and it wasn't alt friendly, so dropped Wow and took up league of legends more seriously.
    • Since the expansion announcement guys have come back to the guild, more activity and I leveled another 90 in a few days (nerf to MOP xp required was nice)
    • Hopefully can get some flex raiding going before patch and maybe get the guild back in full swing!
    • Currently playing a Boomkin which I raided with in WOTLK and Cata, but this expansion went mainly with my Warlock. Want to have a Priest again like the good old days, but might use it as my free 90 with the expansion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

On and off since release, if i had to choose a single favourite game of all time it could possibly be wow, thinking of getting back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Played since TBC
      First was a warlock, almost capped it then decided rogue looked better
      Got a few bosses in sunwell before wotlk. Think prity much cleared most when was current since then some normal, some heroic.
      Small break at end of bwd/bot, but back mid firelands, seen rogue legendary :D
      Just had baby October there so stepped back to social raiding for the moment.
      Have 11 90's on a dead server, one of each class and all horde.
      At most had about 5 raiding regularly between 3 guilds and alt runs, but can only seem to have 1 raiding atm :(

Berns wrote: »
      Played since TBC
      First was a warlock, almost capped it then decided rogue looked better
      Got a few bosses in sunwell before wotlk. Think prity much cleared most when was current since then some normal, some heroic.
      Small break at end of bwd/bot, but back mid firelands, seen rogue legendary :D
      Just had baby October there so stepped back to social raiding for the moment.
      Have 11 90's on a dead server, one of each class and all horde.
      At most had about 5 raiding regularly between 3 guilds and alt runs, but can only seem to have 1 raiding atm :(

Yea I have the same problem :/
    I got 8 level 80 hordes from wotlk on a dead server. haven't played any of them sense back then and can't afford to move them for 20 euro each O.o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

killanena wrote: »
    Yea I have the same problem :/
    I got 8 level 80 hordes from wotlk on a dead server. haven't played any of them sense back then and can't afford to move them for 20 euro each O.o

It takes little to no time to level these days. And if you have some looms you can send them x-realm now. I have toons spread out all over the place too. All on dead server. Rolled last night onto a high pop and sent over some looms.

Cash is the only issue now but there is a little trick that may work seeing as you cannot send gold. Pets.
    If you have a number of the same rare pet you can add them to your journal. Then on the new character, put them into cages and try your luck on the AH. That's my goal right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jonasvalent

I've played since just before WOTLK on my wife's account, I rolled a mage fire spec didn't have a clue, but when I got my own account the battlechest was just new then I rolled a pally as by then my brother played too, we all got lich king and we'd a pally each was good fun, moved realms a few times ended up on saurfang and joined a casual raiding guild there, even got a few wings of ICC down before cata, leveled a warrior to 80 for that, then with cata remade my mage on my own account, played through to DS when our guild fell apart (our gm's friend came back on his mage and brought another mage with him so I was ousted from the raid team even though I always topped dps of the 3 mages and they didn't want either of my tanks) shortly after I left for starwars but came back early last year for MOP left again with no ties being left with other players 6 months ago but hearing about WoD has piqued my interest so I'll resub for the new year methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

- Started to play in 2005 with some friends
    - My first chara was priest... until the arrival of the palas. HP is my main.
    - Horde and healer all the way...
    - I started off on executus and after that i played in many servers until i landed in ls, al'akir and draenor
    - Loved Kara and Naxx
    - Used to have fun collecting the keys for everything until they removed that option... spoilsports!
    - Loved WOTLK
    - Stopped playing for almost 2 years now and dunno if i will return...

Hesthea wrote: »
    - Started to play in 2005 with some friends
    - My first chara was priest... until the arrival of the palas. HP is my main.
    - Horde and healer all the way...
    - I started off on executus and after that i played in many servers until i landed in ls, al'akir and draenor
    - Loved Kara and Naxx
    - Used to have fun collecting the keys for everything until they removed that option... spoilsports!
    - Loved WOTLK
    - Stopped playing for almost 2 years now and dunno if i will return...

Al'akir was great early / mid WOTLK, And even better pre tbc and tbc :D

Went there because LS was kind of dead while AA was always full of players online (no matter what time it was) x)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Actually unsubbed today. Runs out mid February. I've been getting really annoyed with my guild's slow progress and awful attitude lately. Been there for almost 4 years so a change of guild would be out of the question. I reckon I'll return to check out WoD

Painted yourself into a bit of a corner there if you only play with one guild.

I played with the same guild for about 4 years myself, 3 years as 1 of 4 officers., from early early vanilla till the release of cata. We were more of a gold making guild with a bit of light raiding and our GM published a lot of gold making guides back in the day. But he become greedy and most of us left. The game or any mmorpg for that matter have never been the same sense after spending so much time with people that I now haven't seen or heard of in 2 years and have no way of contacting.

Yah its never the same after your first guild, especially if its your first MMO. Wow wasn't my first so i have got used to changing guilds after they had run their course.

With the changing nature of gamers these days you really have to adapt and be more like a nomad to an extent. People are just so much older with real life responsibilities that the days of playing mmo for hours on end is kinda gone.

I've kinda found that feeling again on EvE online but ya its never the same

• Advertisement

Yah i find that to get a really good community going you need, good voice comms, people that are playing at the same wave length but also want to do things together, and people willing to do the support roles so others can play dps.

Throw an element of leadership into this combination and you got yourself a nice little community to play in.

Don't forget you need to have flexible schedule. RL and the game sometimes aren't compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Dunno bout flexible schedule. Couldnt see anything lasting if kept changing days/times and was a number of people had planned the initial days for that and had other plans for changed days. Ie we just hadda baby and gf doesn't play wow but I'd get 3 nights to play while she'd go watch soaps with her mum/sister other nights. Others may have training/matches or work certain nights, then could also be random shifts :P but yeah, cant really see a guild having 10/25 flexible ppl willing to changed all the time to suit 1-2 people. Basically a nightmare to schedule.

Think set schedule with planned but minimal changes works best, gets people who suit said times etc.

Yah you could nearly set your watch by the time most guilds raid these days the only variable is the day.

Obviously there are many guilds that break this mold with late night and weekend raiding but more often than not folks working raid mon-fri between the hours 6-11.

You just need to see when ppl can raid and at what time, then create balanced grps based on the info u collected.

I, for example, could only raid after 22h/23h and only during the weekend.

Sometimes i could raid in other days but i would only be up for it if they needed someone to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

June 2007 - present
    probably the most time I have ever not played in that time is ~2weeks
    Still on the same server since the start.
    Still playing with a dozen people that I met in my first month.
    Primarily horde but have some alliance that I got from RAF.
    Every few months I have a different main. Currently on a warlock. (6/14 Hc)
    I multibox quite a bit and have I think in total 17 90s at the moment with a load of 80+ toons lying around.
    I cannot really pinpoint what I like about the game that keeps me playing it so much. Every time i start to get bored, I find something else to try.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

killanena wrote: »
    Please include any long breaks, expansions you skipped and total number of years.
    If you feel like really going in dept, your favorite patch / expansion and which faction you have played most and your favorite class over the years :)

Let see if there is any pattern between us boardies :p
    • I've been playing sense lately vanilla.
    • First character was a priest.
    • I was only level 60 for 3 months before TBC.
    • I always play horde.
    • I started off on al'akir and played there up to the end of wotlk with only a few small breaks between patches in wotlk.
    • I completely skipped cataclysm and came back mid MOP and just stopped playing again about a month ago.
    • I plan to return a month before the new expansion.
    • I rolled a blood elf pala on the launch of TBC and that was my main up till MOP where I decided to roll a mage as my main.
    • My most played class is pally, but I have played end game and some point or another with every class except death knight and monk.
    • My favorite expansion / patch is TBC 2.4.3.

That is about it really :p
    • I've been playing since EU beta.
    • First character was a mage.
    • I was only level 60 for 6 months before TBC.
    • I always play horde.
    • Wow, I can't remember the name of the server, but I started off rolling on the boards.ie guild server before it merged with a Swedish guild shortly after its' creation.
    • I really Cataclysm PvP and came back late MOP just for Arena. I just stopped playing again about 10 months ago.
    • I plan to return as soon as the next expansion launches, that has been my MO since WotLK.
    • I rolled a Blood Elf Pala on the launch of TBC and that was my main up till WotLk where I decided to continue my druid as my main. With the next expansion, who knows? Witha MoP I played Warrior in PvP heavily, though honestly, that was probably because they were the heavy favourites for Arena PvP. To be fair, I will probably play whatever the FoTM is with arena PvP unless I can get into an endgame PvE guild.
    • My most played class is pally, but I have played end game at some point or other with every class except monk.
    • My favorite expansion / patch is TBC 2.4.3. A sad state of affairs to be honest. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Started around TBC and levelled my main lock to 70, then i started a pally for a change while levelling the lock, but knew nothing about the game and deleted him to start a Priest since our guild(RL friends) needed a healer...I didnt realise Pallys did both hehe :)
    Priest became my main in WOTLK and I healed the whole way through on a casual basis.
    Then for Cata I relevelled a Pally and Tanked my way through, again, casually.

Now I got the pally to 90, but my passion is healing...So i'll probably go back to that when I have some time...But I cant give enough time to Wow to get regular raiding or gear upgrades...

Still enjoy the escapism it provides though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Started in mid 2006, main has always been a paladin - also have a warlock, death knight and hunter at max level. Much prefer dps classes to tanking or healing. Not playing at the moment, MoP has kinda run its course for me but will probably return for WoD. Once you get stuck into WoW, you never truly leave it, thats my belief ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ryanakabyitz

I started playing in 5.3 but have followed wow and watched it regularly since the burning crusade. Athene and Hobbs got me into wow.

Advertisement