Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Qashqai air conditioning not cold

• 18-05-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have an 07 qashqai with air conditioning not blowing cold air. Initially thought it was low refrigerant gas but bought a DIY kit and gauge reads pressure as ok. The clutch on the compressor kicks in and revs slightly increase once air con is turned on but alas no cold air. Have changed pollen filter recently too.

Any ideas what the issue is?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Max Moment wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have an 07 qashqai with air conditioning not blowing cold air. Initially thought it was low refrigerant gas but bought a DIY kit and gauge reads pressure as ok. The clutch on the compressor kicks in and revs slightly increase once air con is turned on but alas no cold air. Have changed pollen filter recently too.

Thanks
    Is it not blowing air conditioned cold air or no cold air at all? I mean is it stuck on high temp?
    Is it manual a/c or digital(climate control)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

It will blow ambient temperature air but no noticeable difference between standard blower cold air with air con off and conditioned cold air with air con on. It's not stuck on hot.

It's manual ac

Am thinking a blocked condensate drain?

Thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi had a similar problem on my car, cause was cooling fans were not running, check if your fans run when the air con is switched on(not the blower fan).

Dark sun wrote: »
    Hi had a similar problem on my car, cause was cooling fans were not running, check if your fans run when the air con is switched on(not the blower fan).

Hi dark sun,

When you say cooling fans do you mean the radiator cooling fan? What was the issue? Did you just replace them?
    Thanks

Hi dark sun,

When you say cooling fans do you mean the radiator cooling fan? What was the issue? Did you just replace them?
    Thanks
    Yes he does I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if the system has a sight glass look to see if there are a lot of bubbles or gaps in the refrigerant flow, of the two pipes which the gas flows through one is narrower than the other, this one should be hot when running the system if not its either down in gas or has a blockage. when you attached the canister did you invert the can?

Hi dark sun,

Thanks

Yes the cooling fans should run to cool the refrigerant down, once the air con is switched on. I had exact same problem in my golf, they ran at a constant speed, mine had blown a 40 amp fuse. Replaced it and problem sorted,Not sure with the nissans. Worth a try. Hope this helps.

if the system has a sight glass look to see if there are a lot of bubbles or gaps in the refrigerant flow, of the two pipes which the gas flows through one is narrower than the other, this one should be hot when running the system if not its either down in gas or has a blockage. when you attached the canister did you invert the can?

Neither low or high pipes get hot or cold. There doesn't appear to be a leak as when I connected the gauge the original gas was still within the pressure range. I didn't put in any new gas as it was already full.

Would it be worthwhile purging the original gas and replacing with new? Think ill leave this to the professionals if it does!

Yes the cooling fans should run to cool the refrigerant down, once the air con is switched on. I had exact same problem in my golf, they ran at a constant speed, mine had blown a 40 amp fuse. Replaced it and problem sorted,Not sure with the nissans. Worth a try. Hope this helps.

Thanks, ill give this a go. Just so I'm sure, was your cooling fan still kicking in to cool the rad when needed and just not when aircon required it? Or was it not working at all. Was there separate fuses?

Thanks, ill give this a go. Just so I'm sure, was your cooling fan still kicking in to cool the rad when needed and just not when aircon required it? Or was it not working at all. Was there separate fuses?

No my fans weren't coming on at all, even to cool the engine, but it never seemed to overheat for some reason, I did notice before I replaced the fuse, if I was on the motorway the aircon would get cooler.
    If your looking at getting you aircon recharged I got mine done last year in Pilsen auto in ballymount they removed the old gas and replaced with new gas and checked for leaks proper job, they were doing good deals €50 for the lot, great service they do most makes of cars. Not sure if the offer is still running, you could give them a shout if your around dublin area.

• Advertisement

No my fans weren't coming on at all, even to cool the engine, but it never seemed to overheat for some reason, I did notice before I replaced the fuse, if I was on the motorway the aircon would get cooler.
    If your looking at getting you aircon recharged I got mine done last year in Pilsen auto in ballymount they removed the old gas and replaced with new gas and checked for leaks proper job, they were doing good deals €50 for the lot, great service they do most makes of cars. Not sure if the offer is still running, you could give them a shout if your around dublin area.

My fan is cutting in to cool the rad so could most likely rule this out. I'll give Pilsean a shout and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Don't purge the system as you don't know what the problem is, if you let off the gas you need a vacuum pump etc to before you refill, if you are sure that the system is fully charged and you tell me that the high side pipe isn't hot the problem must lay somewhere within the compressor or blocked filter which in any case is a job for a tech with the right equipment. when you attached the refill which port did you hook up to , red or blue? and was the engine running or stopped.

If you can here the compressor cutting in and it's not making strange noises its probably working ok.

To test if there's a blockage try to find out what the normal suction and discharge reading are and see is one or the other higher than it should be.

If everything seems normal still it could be moisture in the system and will need to be put on vacuum and recharged.

Don't purge the system as you don't know what the problem is, if you let off the gas you need a vacuum pump etc to before you refill, if you are sure that the system is fully charged and you tell me that the high side pipe isn't hot the problem must lay somewhere within the compressor or blocked filter which in any case is a job for a tech with the right equipment. when you attached the refill which port did you hook up to , red or blue? and was the engine running or stopped.
    The refill hose was connected to the low side valve (bigger diameter pipe). Both valve caps are same colour white. With the engine off the pressure was at 40psi but when started the gauge hovered between 33 and 37. Not sure if this makes a difference?
    iamtony wrote: »
    If you can here the compressor cutting in and it's not making strange noises its probably working ok.

To test if there's a blockage try to find out what the normal suction and discharge reading are and see is one or the other higher than it should be.

If everything seems normal still it could be moisture in the system and will need to be put on vacuum and recharged.
    How do I measure these readings? Where could the blockage be?

Think ill leave this one to the professionals and get it checked out. Hopefully a cheap fix!

Thanks for the help

Advertisement