Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coolant leak

• 13-05-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

i have a grand vitra and have noticed coolant level dropping a very small amount .there is a damp mark on the engine about half way under a alminium guard(please forvive my lack of knowledge) anyone have any ideas . thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

anyone sorry for the sketchie info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Leak can be difficult to find

look for damp patch on radiator, hoses
    remember coolant drips down

sometimes the coolant only leaks when it is up to tempture and under pressure. That makes it more difficult to stick you head in engine bay with spinning belts and fans.

A good garage will have a presure pump and add a dye to the coolant to allow them track a leak down easier.

I didn't have such equipment looking for a leak on my jeep took me weeks to discover it was the radiator and that only happened because leak got worse and it became more obvious.

thanks loads for your help ill keep a eye out this is a great thread

Don't be tempted in to using any of those stop leak products. Apart from being a waste of money they often do more harm than good.

Keep eye on your coolant level and temperature. carry a bottle of water in boot
    if your stuck you can top up with just water.
    If your adding coolant make sure its the correct one for the car as there is different types.

The most common areas for leaks is at hose connections, water pump and thermostat housing. The radiator can also leak usually at the seams

i think it might be coming from the thermo. housing thank loads for your help top man .

• Advertisement

any idea how much changing the water pump and cam belt would be

I DIY and buy parts from either micksgarage.com or local motor factors

entering in your reg number on web site would give you price of parts for your car.

The expensive part will be labour. Best to get estimate from local independent mechanics

Advertisement