Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guards Dim (or lack thereof)

• 02-06-2014 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I've noticed recently that no matter what, a Garda car will not dim it's lights. I heard that it is illegal to flash at a Garda car so I never do.

Basically I'm wondering what the deal is with this and whether or not I can flash them to tell them dim the feckin' lights.

Edit: Not sure if this is right place for this, I apologise if it isn't

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Its not illegal to flash a garda car.

If they're blinding you, give them a quick flash. No harm done, they forget sometimes, just like the best of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Daytime traffic Dublin city centre on the quays, a Garda car was behind with full headlights on. At the next set of lights, the Garda car got alongside and I rolled down my window, caught the attention of a Garda and told him his headlights on. He looks down, sees that they were on, dips his headlights and thanks me for letting him know. Other than that one occasion, I've never seen a Garda car with full headlights on unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just make sure your tax is up to date before you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Hmm, around where I live (remote enough area) they seem to always have them on. Just wasn't sure of the ruling, better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

While it is no excuse, the 2010-12 vintage of Avensis' patrol cars are a pain in the hole according to Gardaí here on boards due to the emergency lighting set up (alternating flashing headlights being the problem).

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    While it is no excuse, the 2010-12 vintage of Avensis' patrol cars are a pain in the hole according to Gardaí here on boards due to the emergency lighting set up (alternating flashing headlights being the problem).

That could explain a lot actually. They are Avensis' of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Is it permissible to flash your lights at all? I do it anyway, but a few years back my dad flashed at a garda car (didn't know it was a garda car at the time) and they pulled him over, and gave out to him over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the US, they have made out its part or their freedom of speech to flash oncoming drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Guards are people like us. Sometimes I forget, and a quick flash reminds me. If you get pulled over because of it a reasonable conversation should suffice. I know quite a few guards and none would react badly. Maybe there are some out there that would. And sometimes you meet assh0les that are not guards. No point generalising

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I always flash oncoming drivers to alert them of a checkpoint up ahead

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »

I do this too btw. Would expect the same from other people. However if someone was driving dangerously fast I'd ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I never do.

Let battle commence!

endacl wrote: »
    I never do.

Let battle commence!

*shots fired*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

OT but A checkpoint or a speed check?

Flashing for a speed check or Gatso van, I can understand (but may not condone)

Flashing for a checkpoint is stupid IMO. These aren't just about tax being out a few months but also insurance, drunk drivers etc. Who's to say you haven't flashed a car with a group of burglars on board?

Flashing for a checkpoint is stupid IMO. These aren't just about tax being out a few months but also insurance, drunk drivers etc. Who's to say you haven't flashed a car with a group of burglars on board?

True. Maybe I am an optimist. It just gives me time to getbrhw license ready and maybe to conform to the 100km ph of a road that supports 110

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Surely if their full lights are on the high beam symbol should be lit up on the dash.No excuse for missing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Surely if their full lights are on the high beam symbol should be lit up on the dash.No excuse for missing that.

Ahh yes but that's in the perfect world. If you are thinking of 101 different things it's easy forget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have noticed a good few driving around like a lot of taxis with both dipped beams blown so use high beams instead.

Shankill avensis been like this for a while and many others I've come across.

The few vectras they have left never took right to all the extra gear as the rear lights are same brightness as brake lights so very difficult to make out when they are braking only for centre 1 if working.

The projector headlamp types in avensis 2003 onwards give out very bad light imo especially when the h7 lamps are expired but still slightly working.

The new models since 2010 with drl's are always linked with dip beams so both are lit but at night they tend to forget to switch lights on as the rear lights are not linked so plenty driving with no rears illuminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Flashing Gards with your headlights: Legal.
    Flashing Gards with your trench coat: Illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Headlight flash is only for use to warn other road-users of your approach, same as your horn.

I flash to warn of go-safe vans but not Gardaí. The latter could be construed as obstructing the Gards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Is it permissible to flash your lights at all? I do it anyway, but a few years back my dad flashed at a garda car (didn't know it was a garda car at the time) and they pulled him over, and gave out to him over it...

He should have told them to relax, he was just warning them about a checkpoint up ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

From a safety point of view it makes more sense to flash for a checkpoint given that it will mean that the car is driving towards static cars and two Gardai standing on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

corktina wrote: »
    Headlight flash is only for use to warn other road-users of your approach, same as your horn.I flash to warn of go-safe vans but not Gardaí. The latter could be construed as obstructing the Gards.

How are they going to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

djimi wrote: »
    From a safety point of view it makes more sense to flash for a checkpoint given that it will mean that the car is driving towards static cars and two Gardai standing on the road.

Checkpoints should be set up in such a location as to give approaching drivers time to see a c/p and to react. No need to flash oncoming traffic because it is what criminals rely on to avoid Gardai. It can also be construed as obstruction, an offence that can attract a maximum fine of €3,000.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Never seen Gardai car leave full beams on,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I can see this going well. "suspect is resisting, he's resisting!!". "Don't taze me bro!" :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TheNog wrote: »
    Checkpoints should be set up in such a location as to give approaching drivers time to see a c/p and to react. No need to flash oncoming traffic because it is what criminals rely on to avoid Gardai. It can also be construed as obstruction, an offence that can attract a maximum fine of €3,000.

Any checkpoint I've ever come across (rare as they are!) are usually just beyond a bend or turn - you don't see them until you're almost on top of them.

I can see the point from the perspective of catching criminals but from a safety perspective it can be very dangerous. I once happened upon 2 Gardai and a squad car on the M8 beside a junction directing people onto the slip road because of a crash ahead. While their intent makes perfect sense, the fact that these 2 lads were standing in the middle of a motorway, just after a bend in the road, with no advance warning (like say a 2nd car a km or 2 further up the road) is potentially lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

corktina wrote: »
    Headlight flash is only for use to warn other road-users of your approach, same as your horn.

Technically speaking it has no official legal meaning. You can flash away all day every day for whatever you feel like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Any checkpoint I've ever come across (rare as they are!) are usually just beyond a bend or turn - you don't see them until you're almost on top of them.

Best place is on a straight between 2 bends on a stretch that is not too long. Get plenty of drivers turning away from c/ps so don't want them getting away.

Each location has to be assessed by the members to ensure safety of themselves (the most vulnerable) and for other road users. The speed limit of the road and curvature of the bends is taken into account.

However there are piss poor drivers out there and there action or lack of reaction has to be taken into account too.
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I can see the point from the perspective of catching criminals but from a safety perspective it can be very dangerous. I once happened upon 2 Gardai and a squad car on the M8 beside a junction directing people onto the slip road because of a crash ahead. While their intent makes perfect sense, the fact that these 2 lads were standing in the middle of a motorway, just after a bend in the road, with no advance warning (like say a 2nd car a km or 2 further up the road) is potentially lethal.

Safest option is always stay next to or very near the patrol car. This is because the idiots out there will see only and be transfixed by the lights on the patrol car and see the members standing in the road.

Advanced warning would be ideal in any situation but resources not always available or a considerable distance away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement