Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

• 12-03-2011 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

So as the title suggests its back to running basics for me. My only goals right now is to get back to enjoying running and to cut down on those injuries.

I was really disappointed over Barcelona so am going to set marathon training aside and focus on the shorter distances and have fun with them.

After 6 weeks off I need to build back slowly again so will loosely follow a half marathon training plan from Jeff Galloway which is about 12 weeks long and builds back up very slowly. Hopefully that will reduce the injury list!

So currently I have no target races or PB goals, I just want to get back on the road again...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Friday 11th March

Officially I am not supposed to start running for another week but I just couldn't resist. Away with work in fab weather and staying near a great beach which was full of joggers. My initial plan was to just go for a walk but that was never going to happen!

So I just started to jog slowly and see how I felt. The first few minutes I could only describe as weird and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Eventually I tweaked it...the strange feeling I was having was that I was running without pain - can't rem the last time that happened!!

No garmin so just used ordinary watch - stopped after 25 minutes. I felt like I could do more but didn't want to chance it. Also "co-incidentally" the point where I stopped to stretch, there was some sort of beach volleyball tournament going on - naturally I had to stop to enjoy their emmmm volleyball skills ;). A nice first run back and iced foot afterwards so it feels ok.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great to see you back shaz! Delighted that you're painfree. Ease yourself back into things, and run for the joy of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

And she's back! Horay :D

Mon Mar 14th

Back in nice chilly Dublin so time for a run to work off the jetlag. Plan was 3-ish miles on a loop near me in whatever time it took. Felt good from the start and didn't bother to check the garmin other than turning it off and on. A lovely night for a run and its good to be back.

Distance: 3.54
    Time: 34.02
    Avg Pace: 9:37

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    shazkea wrote: »
    Mon Mar 14th

Back in nice chilly Dublin so time for a run to work off the jetlag. Plan was 3-ish miles on a loop near me in whatever time it took. Felt good from the start and didn't bother to check the garmin other than turning it off and on. A lovely night for a run and its good to be back.

Distance: 3.54
    Time: 34.02
    Avg Pace: 9:37

Great to see you back and even better to hear you are pain free!:D

Thanks for the good wishes guys, it is good to be back :D

Tues 15th Mar

Cross-training session in the gym

Wed 16th Mar

So nice to be able to have an evening run in the light and what a perfect evening for it. I went back to a grass route beside the sea that I haven't been on since Oct. Plan was 2 miles and to be honest I'm finding it difficult to stick to such short distances but I just got to be patient and build back up slowly. My new-ish runners are now well and truely christened after the mud and puddles.

Distance: 2.53 miles
    Time: 23.58
    Pace: 09:28

I had signed up for the MSB 5km before the injury but think I will go ahead and run it on Sunday anyway. I will just treat it as a training run though and enjoy the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good to see you back missus. Great to meet you in Barcelona as well. Good luck with the injury free running :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted so see you back running. Mind yourself and try to be patient. My biggest problem coming back after injury is doing too much to fast and finding myself injured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good luck with the new log Shaz, good to meet you in Barca, see you in Kilnaboy ;)

• Advertisement

Good luck with the new log Shaz, good to meet you in Barca, see you in Kilnaboy ;)

Eh, thought it was only the elites who got special invite to Kilnaboy :). Hope you'll be spending all your winnings from this week in the banner county...we need it!!

Thursday 17th Mar

Nice shortish hike followed by plenty of food :rolleyes:. Need to get my ass in gear and get out on alot more hikes before trip in Aug.

Sat 19th Mar

Gait analysis this morning in Amphibianking and results were surprising. I've been in Kayanos & 2150's since I started running properly which were recommended after previous analysis in Elvery's.
    So from this morning it turns out I am only a mild pronator and those shoes are too structured and rigid for me - cue question...have you had lots of lower foot problems :rolleyes:. I tried a few neutral pairs and settled on Saucony Triumph. Went for a little run around the block and omg how light do they feel in comparison to the Kayanos. Dying to try them out properly so cant wait for a run next week.
    Time to get out for a cycle now and then watch the match later.

Going to take tomorrows 5km race nice and easy, there will no checking of watch to see pace - just get around and enjoy running through the streets.

Going to take tomorrows 5km race nice and easy, there will no checking of watch to see pace - just get around and enjoy running through the streets.

Sun Mar 20th

Not sure who I was trying to kid with that comment above - no checking of watches....it's a race, course I'm going to check the watch!!

Anyhoo this was the motivation and fitness kick-up the ass that I needed. Only back a week after those 6 weeks off and I wasn't expecting much but I didn't expect to be so bad.

It was a fab day for this and everyone was in flying spirits so it was great to be in that race atmosphere again. I went out easy on mile 1 and was feeling ok so I thought push it and see how I am but if I feel any niggle, slow down or stop.
    So mile 2 I tried to kick in but unfortunately I just didn't have it in the lungs to give this a decent go. I also didn't have enough water on me and I was gagging from the start...rookie mistake! Honestly finish line couldn't have come at a better time.
    Disappointed my cardio fitness is shot to hell but I can build on that. I can feel a slight ache on the foot but nothing serious and ice will sort that so no real worries there.

So in summary yes my time was rubbish but it was still a great way to spend a lovely afternoon and this has motivated me to get my ass in gear.
    Race was well organised and great value so I can't fault anything on that side. I will be back next year for sure.

Distance: 3.19
    Time: 27:58
    Avg Pace: 8:47

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Glad to hear the race went well for ya, sounds like a great atmosphere.

(Also what colour are the new runners? :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Sun Mar 20th

Not sure who I was trying to kid with that comment above - no checking of watches....it's a race, course I'm going to check the watch!!

Anyhoo this was the motivation and fitness kick-up the ass that I needed. Only back a week after those 6 weeks off and I wasn't expecting much but I didn't expect to be so bad.

It was a fab day for this and everyone was in flying spirits so it was great to be in that race atmosphere again. I went out easy on mile 1 and was feeling ok so I thought push it and see how I am but if I feel any niggle, slow down or stop.
    So mile 2 I tried to kick in but unfortunately I just didn't have it in the lungs to give this a decent go. I also didn't have enough water on me and I was gagging from the start...rookie mistake! Honestly finish line couldn't have come at a better time.
    Disappointed my cardio fitness is shot to hell but I can build on that. I can feel a slight ache on the foot but nothing serious and ice will sort that so no real worries there.

So in summary yes my time was rubbish but it was still a great way to spend a lovely afternoon and this has motivated me to get my ass in gear.
    Race was well organised and great value so I can't fault anything on that side. I will be back next year for sure.

Distance: 3.19
    Time: 27:58
    Avg Pace: 8:47

Fair play- great time despite so few runs prior to it!
    Hope that the new runners went well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done shaz! Barely back running a week, and you're already racing! Great stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Shaz, your time is not rubbish, you're just coming back after injury. Well done. :)

hollypink wrote: »

(Also what colour are the new runners? :P )

New runners are white/navy/blue and with proper laces...he was under strict orders not to even show me pink or orange!

I wore old ones yesterday as I didn't want to chance blisters etc. I am looking forward to bringing them out for a run tomorrow though :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Well done shaz! Barely back running a week, and you're already racing! Great stuff :)

Ruby, that made me laugh...makes me feel like an elite :D
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Shaz, your time is not rubbish, you're just coming back after injury. Well done. :)

Cheers, to be fair though it is a bit rubbish...but I'm fine with that, it's an incentive to get back into it. I really enjoyed yesterday and that's the main thing. Yummy chocolate in goody bag afterwards helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Well done on getting back into it. It's a great time on the back of a few months of injury so you should be proud of yourself!
    I really enjoyed yesterday and that's the main thing. Yummy chocolate in goody bag afterwards helped!

Damn lent - it's a bad time to get a great goody bag. OH polished off the savoury snacks before I had even got out of the shower and I have hidden the chocolate and will be making a pig of myself on Easter Sunday! I went to every table in the mansion house yesterday looking for a plain biscuit to dunk in my tea but to no avail :( (normally providing only chocolate biscuits would be a big plus for a race!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Delighted to see you back Shaz and well done in the 5k - talk about socking it to that physio who had you written off! Enjoy getting back into it and take care of yourself :)

runrabbit wrote: »

Damn lent - it's a bad time to get a great goody bag. OH polished off the savoury snacks before I had even got out of the shower and I have hidden the chocolate and will be making a pig of myself on Easter Sunday! I went to every table in the mansion house yesterday looking for a plain biscuit to dunk in my tea but to no avail :( (normally providing only chocolate biscuits would be a big plus for a race!)

Emmm yeah obviously I didn't go off chocolate for lent :rolleyes:. Fair play to you for that will power and hope you enjoy the goodies on Easter Sunday.

Monday March 21st

Cross training session in the gym. Intervals on bike and then full tilt incline on the treadmill for some hiking training for Aug. Calves were burning by the end of the session!

Tuesday Mar 22nd

Took my new shoes for a little jog :D. Omg they feel very different to Kayanos...much looser and ooh the cushioning - felt like I was running on a bouncy castle! Jury is obviously still out on them until I have a few more runs under the belt with them.

Run itself was a mixed bag, spent the first half over thinking my form, the runners, my breathing, my posture etc...then as I turned around I saw an amazing sunset and all those stupid thoughts went out the window. Lovely second half of the run! A nice easy run and it felt very comfortable compared to Sunday.

Distance: 4.03
    Time: 40:00
    Avg Pace: 9.56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the return. In no way is that a "rubbish" time coming off injury. Remember you are looking at the long haul - don't push too far too fast. Are you following one of Galloways walk/run plans ? Curious to know how you get on with that. Mrs P and her brother(BIL) both use him. The BIL has found that it cleared up some of his reocuring injuries (he's a bit of a nut and does around 6-8 road or trail marathons a year.)

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Are you following one of Galloways walk/run plans ? Curious to know how you get on with that. Mrs P and her brother(BIL) both use him. The BIL has found that it cleared up some of his reocuring injuries (he's a bit of a nut and does around 6-8 road or trail marathons a year.)

Yep I am following his half marathon schedule for time goal runners. I picked it mainly because it's a 3 day week plan and I can cross-train on other days. Good question about is his run/walk strategy and honest answer is I'm not sure. Definitely not on the short/medium runs and I'm not sure about the longer runs.
    His suggested ratio for my pace is 4 min run/1 min walk and I think that's too frequent. I find it hard to start running again after walk breaks as it interupts my rhythm and I notice every little "niggle" etc. I'm hoping to do Kildare half in May so I might use it to get through that but ultimately I don't think so. Do Mrs P and BIL stick strictly to ratio or just use it when they find the going tough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good to meet you in Barca and glad to see you are back running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Yep I am following his half marathon schedule for time goal runners. I picked it mainly because it's a 3 day week plan and I can cross-train on other days. Good question about is his run/walk strategy and honest answer is I'm not sure. Definitely not on the short/medium runs and I'm not sure about the longer runs.
    His suggested ratio for my pace is 4 min run/1 min walk and I think that's too frequent. I find it hard to start running again after walk breaks as it interupts my rhythm and I notice every little "niggle" etc. I'm hoping to do Kildare half in May so I might use it to get through that but ultimately I don't think so. Do Mrs P and BIL stick strictly to ratio or just use it when they find the going tough?

Yes, I think they usually skip the walk intervals on the weekdays runs and just use it on the long runs.
    They adjust the intervals as needed. I think BIL uses a 10/1 or a 15/1 when things are good. I know at marathon distance he often walks every aid stations - Mrs P has gone as low as 3/1 when things got rough (as they did for her in Barcelona). But the theory is to use it before things get rough. I think it depends very much on feel - the idea is to incorporate recovery into the run - if you feel worse on the restart that pretty much defeats the purpose ! I should say - I tried it and hated it !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yes, I think they usually skip the walk intervals on the weekdays runs and just use it on the long runs.
    They adjust the intervals as needed. I think BIL uses a 10/1 or a 15/1 when things are good. I know at marathon distance he often walks every aid stations - Mrs P has gone as low as 3/1 when things got rough (as they did for her in Barcelona). But the theory is to use it before things get rough. I think it depends very much on feel - the idea is to incorporate recovery into the run - if you feel worse on the restart that pretty much defeats the purpose ! I should say - I tried it and hated it !

Cheers for the feedback. Hopefully won't need to use it in the short-term but will keep it in mind!

Thur Mar 24th

Couldn't but love this run - fab eve so a run beside the sea was called for. Got a stitch for the first time in an age but ran through it and it disappeared...strange one.
    Signed up for GIR as well. Crowds mean it won't be a PB attempt so just another one to go out and enjoy. They were very precise about the finishing times - wonder how their wave start will work out!

Distance: 3.04
    Time: 28:40
    Pace: 09:26

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good stuff Shaz!! :)

Advertisement