Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling kitchen backsplash - remove extractor hood?

• 04-09-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,197 ✭✭✭✭

I've just had a new kitchen fitted, which came with an extractor fan/hood/chimney which the kitchen fitter fitted.

However, the tiler is coming tomorrow to tile the backsplash.

QUESTION: Should the extractor fan/hood/chimney be removed, or is it normal to tile around these?

Thanks for any advise provided

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would be a better job to mount the extractor to the tile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭meercat

definitely looks better if tiled behind the hood
    it will be an easier job for the tiler too if its removed

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

Any backsplash that comes with a new cooker or a granite backsplash will only ever go to the underside of the fan...It's a backsplash,why would it go up beyond the fan itself?It's a backsplash for a reason and it has a purpose so leave the fan alone and let the tiler run thE tiles to the underside of the fan...It's as easy for him either way...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You dont need to tile above the bottom of the extractor unit itself.

Its rather pointless and waste of tiles and money.

Make sure that the extractor unit is placed at the optimum height above the hob so that it does its job correctly,as in extract smells and fumes at the right speed and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

And if you stop at the bottom of the fan make sure any replacement of the fan down the line is exactly the same model or size or you'll need the tiler back again!
    I'd tile behind to be future proof it as you may not get the same tiles (or fan model) in say 5 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,197 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks guys, i'm going to take the hood/chimney off

red sean wrote: »
    And if you stop at the bottom of the fan make sure any replacement of the fan down the line is exactly the same model or size or you'll need the tiler back again!
    I'd tile behind to be future proof it as you may not get the same tiles (or fan model) in say 5 years time.

Thats why the chimney stack part of most extractor hoods (above the actual unit) are extendable/movable to allow for change of actual hood unit in the future.Thats how mine works and I only had the splashback tiled up to below the hood itself and then fiinished off with a chrome edge.

You dont need to take the thing off the wall at all,waste of money and tiles too,pointless.

looks good paddy147
    works well in your installation but not all will be the same

Eeehhhh extractor fans are kept a fixed height from the cooker for proper working reasons and the extractor fan will always be the same width as your cooker..600 mm being the standard so if your tiler for some strange reason had to come back in 5 yrs the position of the fan will always be the same....

Eeehhhh extractor fans are kept a fixed height from the cooker for proper working reasons and the extractor fan will always be the same width as your cooker..600 mm being the standard so if your tiler for some strange reason had to come back in 5 yrs the position of the fan will always be the same....

http://www.thegascompany.ie/iopen24/cooker-hood-prima-lct105-curved-glass-90cm-extractor-hood-stainless-steel-p-968869.html
    not always standard nor straight

• Advertisement

Paddy 147 lovely kitchen mate...at least people will now see what we mean by backsplash and where it should be...nice touch

Thanks meercat, thats the point I was trying to make (badly:o)
    Fashion changes in everything, so try to future proof as much as possible before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

tile up to the bottom of extractor and leave it on the wall make sure its level and you would have a problem no matter what extractor you get i think the extractor should be 700 of the w top also if you tile up behind it you will run into problems with your chimney etc it wont sit tight to the wall

leave it up and tile up to it

Thanks meercat, thats the point I was trying to make (badly:o)
    Fashion changes in everything, so try to future proof as much as possible before it's too late.

Look at the pictures...How do you get a 900mm fan into a 600mm space??I said standard was 600mm as the picture shows...900mm fan=900mm cooker...Next step would be reducing wall units to fit in a 900mm fan...Can you future proof that too?

Oh and just for the record I was going for a 600mm unit,but then decided to send the 600mm unit back to the Kitchen Supplier and get a 900mm unit to fit the 5 ring gas hob.This would also give a better overall look.

But the 600 hood unit works the exact same way (extendable/retractable chimney hood).

Look at the pictures...How do you get a 900mm fan into a 600mm space??I said standard was 600mm as the picture shows...900mm fan=900mm cooker...Next step would be reducing wall units to fit in a 900mm fan...Can you future proof that too?

No need to get all narky about it! I was merely giving my advice to the OP just like you were. Hoods are not all square at the bottom and will no doubt evolve as time goes on. Also I did'nt quote any measurements in my posts, if you want to read back. So argue all you want, I'm outta here :)
    ps. Lovely kitchen paddy147.

Advertisement