Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milan San Remo

• 22-03-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭

Live on Eurosport from 13:30

Finish line has been moved to the historically favoured Via Roma which is 1km nearer the foot of the Poggio. This increases the chances of an escape over the Poggio and daring descent making it to the finish line without being brought back by the sprinters teams.

La Manie is absent from the race for the 2nd year in a row. We can see from this chart that it really changed the race dynamic when it was in place, and it has likely been removed to keep the sprinters interest. La Manie years in grey.

Apparently there is a headwind up the Poggio which might well keep a lid of the attacks, and its also fairly breezy along the coast.

msr_front_group_size_1994_2014.png

At nearly 300km in length it is the longest of the Monuments.

img_planimetria2015.jpg

msr_img_altimetria2015_big.jpg

img_ukm2015.jpg

cipressapoggio.jpg

Odds

Alexander Kristoff 5
    Peter Sagan 6
    Mark Cavendish 7
    Fabian Cancellara 9
    John Degenkolb 14
    Michael Matthews 14
    Juan Jose Lobato 16
    Greg Van Avermaet 18
    Zdenek Stybar 22
    Ben Swift 25
    Michal Kwiatkowski 28
    Philippe Gilbert 33
    Nacer Bouhanni 33
    Andre Greipel 25
    Alejandro Valverde 50
    Davide Cimolai 66
    Gerald Ciolek 50
    Heinrich Haussler 66

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There was a great tweet yesterday from Oleg Tinkoff to Fabian Cancellara saying to watch out for him as he is an old fox, Cancellara just replied
    @olegtinkov i am not a old fox... I am #Spartacus.... Class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looking forward to see how Sam Bennett gets on on his Debut ...hope he can last the 300KM Distance and the climbs ..if he can stay near the front he will always be a contender (now @66/1 was @100/1 )

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Matt Stephens seems to be getting a lot of the big events now for commentating, haven't heard Kirby in a while has he been demoted, and also it seems no Kelly which is a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Getting to like Matt ..on Eurosport ..but I was already a fan of his from the GCN YouTube Channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Wasn't sure which day this race was on and set a recording for yesterday.
    After hitting the road at 5am, riding 200kms up North and getting home after 9pm, I sat down to watch the race. Fell asleep and woke up with the race finished, so went to bed.
    Only this morning when I played the recording again did I cop it was last years race. I was so shattered I never even noticed watching teams that no longer exist. When Nibali made a break I thought he tried this last year and he's doing it again.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

delightful looking day for it. They really should hold the race in Ireland where the weather is glorious :D

Wheres Kelly on the commentary today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Just paid Eurosport a year's subscription. Looks like they're really flying along now, some nasty looking falls. Has Sam Bennett any kind of realistic chance, anyone reckon?
    A 3 man Sky train powering along!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Ouch

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No spoiler tags required - this is a one-day race

• Advertisement

Ah poor Bono

why does the 1st guy in the train lead the line from one side of the road to the other?

Looking good for Sagan as of now with Kristoff struggling at the back.

getting interesting now

cioleks not a happy bunny

kwiatoski gone aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

who won?

degenkolb

great recovery from kristoff

degenkolb, kristoff, matthews, sagan

Stonking last hour there. Great ride by G Thomas, surely Kristoff lost through being at the front from too far out. Come to think of it - not that it's particularly a surprise - after Sky's prominent aggressive riding, Ben Swift nowhere in the sprint.

• Advertisement

pelevin wrote: »
    Stonking last hour there. Great ride by G Thomas, surely Kristoff lost through being at the front from too far out.

thought paulini might have taken him a few meters on before he pulled back but say the 2 of them were shagged by the last few hundred meters

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

neris wrote: »
    thought paulini might have taken him a few meters on before he pulled back but say the 2 of them were shagged by the last few hundred meters

he did go from 1.5 out and if he could he would of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Well sky really made that a race ...but didn't benefit form it ....managed to drop pure sprinters or at least tire them out though...No CAV, Demare, Greipel

Suited Degenkolb & Matthews and Kristoff did very well to recover before end ...
    SKY might have been better riding for Thomas
    Sagan not on podium...yikes

MPFG wrote: »
    Well sky really made that a race ...but didn't benefit form it ....managed to drop pure sprinters or at least tire them out though...No CAV, Demare, Greipel

Suited Degenkolb & Matthews and Kristoff did very well to recover before end ...
    SKY might have been better riding for Thomas
    Sagan not on podium...yikes

I think it must be written into Thomas's contract to be a sacrificial lamb in the classics for riders with less chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

pelevin wrote: »
    I think it must be written into Thomas's contract to be a sacrificial lamb in the classics for riders with less chances.

Thomas is riding amazingly this year ...hope he leads in one of the classics

Tinkov having meltdown and calling Matti Breschel stupid on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Sam came in 78th @ 5 minutes. Goal achieved for him to finish, having never raced this distance before. There will be other chances for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Degenkolb tipped by Sean Kelly during the week:

https://www.seankellycycling.com/blog/milan-san-remo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

marvin80 wrote: »
    Degenkolb tipped by Sean Kelly during the week:

https://www.seankellycycling.com/blog/milan-san-remo

why wasnt kelly commentating. always tune in when he is but he wasnt today. not on eurosport anyway. the other guy wasnt bad. but still, cant beat kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

When are etixx gonna fix the problem with the stupid groupset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Roquentin wrote: »
    why wasnt kelly commentating. always tune in when he is but he wasnt today. not on eurosport anyway. the other guy wasnt bad. but still, cant beat kelly

Kelly was at a Chain Reaction sportive in Belfast.

Advertisement