Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[SC] The Science Behind 2012

• 18-08-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I was previously affected by the whole Mayan Calendar thing and genuinely believed something bad would happen...

Then I just ditched it all and believed nothing.

Anyway, here's a rational explanation for why the Mayans picked 21/12/12 as the end date of their calendar (all relates to star alignments):

http://www.infinitelymystical.com/essays/mystical-2012.html

The bottom line - nothing's going to happen but at least there's a decent reason for the source of all the hysteria!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The original Roman numerals only went as far as 4999 if you want to worry about arbitrary calendar limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

So there'll be hysteria at the end of the 49th century too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm of the opinion that they ended the calendar on that date because they ran out of space on that rock. Haven't they found a continuation of the Mayan calendar anyway?

Not sure, I did hear there are a number of different calendars though. I guess that makes sense since communication between different groups would have been quite rare...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If the Mayans were still around to celebrate the end of their calendar, what do you think they'd do? I tend to think they'd just start a new calendar. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Yes definitely! Admire the alignment of the planets and the sun crossing the Milky Way and then just start the calendar again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I thought it was something like, 1 calendar ended and another one began?

Doesn't matter anyway, who gives a sh*t about when the Mayans thought the world would end, bar for anthropological reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dave! wrote: »
    I thought it was something like, 1 calendar ended and another one began?
    frankttaok wrote: »
    Yes definitely! Admire the alignment of the planets and the sun crossing the Milky Way and then just start the calendar again :D
    Well, that was easy! Job's a good 'un.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There never was a prediction by the Mayans, one of their many calenders will end is all. Anyone buying into this doomsday stuff really should get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

EnterNow wrote: »
    There never was a prediction by the Mayans, one of their many calenders will end is all. Anyone buying into this doomsday stuff really should get a grip.

As far as I know the calender doesn't even end, it just resets which the Mayans were perfectly happy with, kinda like no one worrying to much about putting 30-08-12 down instead of 30-08-2012 because frankly no one is going to confuse that with 1912 in most circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Judge74

Still think something will happen

Advertisement