Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

post natal depression and returning to work

• 25-09-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, something is niggling my brain and was wondering if anyone knows about depression and working.

I have been diagnosed with PND after I had a baby and my maternity leave is almost up. Looking forward to going back and all but I think that I would have to inform my employer that I have PND.

I'm a nurse in a hospital and I think I read somewhere before that depression is a liablity to the patients and to employees. Im not sure but i'm terrified that I would have to take time off work for this 'illness' and return when im better. Or worse that i'm laid off because of the depression.

I can't seem to find anywhere on citizens advice website about working with depression!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I think your thread is better suited in this forum.

Taltos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Presuming that PND is treated in law the same as other types of depression, then it is a disability and not an illness.

That means that your employer has to make reasonable allowances for your condition, to enable you to do a job. That might be a reduction in hours, different duties or other accommodations.

My advice would be to first talk to your doctor that's treating you to see what s/he recommends with regards to work - i.e. if there are any changes you or work needs to do etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hmm, nursing is a registered profession, where you have access to drugs and significant public safety issues in your control. Wouldn't surprise me if there are some particular requirements about informing your employer about illnesses you have.

Why don't you try talking to a union rep (INO? or have I got the name wrong) about what's required. They should be well versed in your rights and responsibilties, and able to advise the best way to proceed. You definitely won't be the first person it's happened to.

(Eoin - I'm fascianted that depression is treated as a disability, not an illness. Do you have links? It implies that it's something that a person will never recover from ... I know a few folks who'd disagree very strongly with that.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JustMary wrote: »
    (Eoin - I'm fascianted that depression is treated as a disability, not an illness. Do you have links? It implies that it's something that a person will never recover from ... I know a few folks who'd disagree very strongly with that.)

I'll see if I can dig out some links, but it was covered in the management training at work.

I don't know about that particular implication - I imagine it's just more about protection, and enabling people to be more open about their condition with less fear of being let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

While they cannot discriminate due to a disability they can state that a person is not fit for work and end employment.

Not sure where PND would sit in that -especially as it is not a long term problem,most suffers recover in under a year.
    Also they would have to make a case that the Mother was incapable of performing her duties.
    I "think" the worst they could do is stop you from coming to work until a doctor clears you ,but you would be eligible to some form of welfare in that time.I would imagine in a large organization like one of the health boards they would have to keep your job open for a period of time to give you a chance to fully recover and possibly offer you duties which are not affected.

I believe it is 1-10 mothers who suffer from PND so I am sure there is a policy on it somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement