Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical Dept at Work

Options
  • 19-09-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've received a text message from work asking if I could attend a medical later in the week. I'm currently on certified sick leave, have been for the past two weeks. I've been with the company in excess of 10 years and have had minimal sickness, most years none at all. What annoys me even more is that so many have taken the piss blatantly and have never been called up.

I've an open cert (which is probably part of the problem) but have been in contact with my direct manager keeping them informed.

Basically I'm pregnant with a low lying placenta and have had some spotting and was hospitalised on one of the occasions. I was told after the hospital stint not to return to work and they would see at my next hospital appointment which was last week and the situation hasn't changed. So on their advice they told me not to return to work before my next scan in a few weeks time. I contacted my boss to let them know and was told "No prob-thanks 4 letting me know-stay relaxed" exacts words.

I'm just wondering what a companies medical department can actually look for or request etc. And I presume it varies form one company to another. One thing that was stressed to me was for very limited travel, they want me close to the hospital in case of a bleed. I have to travel a substantial distance for this appointmnet. I mean an ultrasound would be required to establish my condition and I'm fairly sure they don't have one. But have no problem doing one if they have.

I'm going public, and was wondering would I best best to contact the hospital to see if I could get a letter or something from them to bring with me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do work know about this recommendation not to travel too far, and are still asking you to do so? Would there be in any point in allowing the company doctor to request the notes from your hospital instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My direct boss knows that I'm am not meant to travel much as I told him on the phone when I contacted him first. I would have no problem with them requesting my notes, I don't have the file myself, I know many hospitals operate the system where you keep your own notes when pregnant but mine doesn't.

I do have the combined care card which has very limited detail but does mention the low lying placenta and next appointmnet date & time. I don't have a number to contact the medical department. But I reckon they will end up requesting the file and I will have had a wasted journey. I know I can request my file myself but that can take weeks.

I suppose I'll just have to wait & see how it goes, I just don't like the thoughts of taking a long trip for something that could be checked out alternatively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If it's a risk for you to travel, then don't. Tell them you'll release whatever files they want to verify your condition etc or see another Doctor that's more convenient for you.

While it is possible for disciplinary action to be taken even in the cases of (genuine) sick leave, the reality is that as a pregnant woman, you're pretty well protected by law, and it would be a brave company that pushed it too far.

This thread is fine here - but it might be worth checking out the pregnancy forum as well, in case anyone else has experienced something similar and can give you better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tell them you're happy to see the company doctor - but that doctor will have to come to you, 'cos of the medical advice you've received!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Just to point out that if all comes to all you can consider this
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/health_safety_benefit.html
    If your GP says you cannot continue with your current duties, and your employer cannot assign you duties more conducive to your condition, you can apply for this.
    he will have to pay you your first 3 weeks wages, then €188 from SW, moving seamlessly into Maternity Benefit 2 weeks before due date. No sending in sick certs for you, and your boss can go ahead and organise a replacement for you until your maternity leave is over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement