Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Friends!

• 20-03-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all. I have been living in Tullamore for the last 3 years and would like to meet new friends. Don't get me wrong I'm far from a "loner". I own my own business therefore meeting people in work is hard! I'm into sports but haven't played in a good few years so I would be a bit rough around the edges. Into outdoors things, "bear Grills" wannabe. No groups around the midlands do this. I'm 28, out going, any ideas guys? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Hi all. I have been living in Tullamore for the last 3 years and would like to meet new friends. Don't get me wrong I'm far from a "loner". I own my own business therefore meeting people in work is hard! I'm into sports but haven't played in a good few years so I would be a bit rough around the edges. Into outdoors things, "bear Grills" wannabe. No groups around the midlands do this. I'm 28, out going, any ideas guys? Thanks

Hey,
    i know quite a few outdoors people including myself, hiking, camping etc but as you said nothing really around. Could you try the four peaks challenge for charity?? or local fundraisers like walks or hikes. Might be a good way to find out of outdoorsy things happening locally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis

Yeah the four peaks challenge is a very worthwhile cause and i have and will continue to donate to them. Just would prefer to join / start a good club around the area. Any ideas?

I suppose the only thing i would be thinking of is seeing is there much want for such if ya know what i mean. Maybe an add in the Tribune, Offaly exprss etc, asking for people who would be interested in a club to mail you. Get an idea of numbers etc. Just to see is there interest there like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

there should be a cycling club ner by if that suits
    also one of the lads goes away on an adventure week once a year with the special needs
    and has a right laugh if that suits ya

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

The local harriers are well know. Maybe FB groups, social networking for professionals, meetup.com or volunteerireland.ie. If you can volunteer at Castle P festival then you can get to know alot of locals. Skydiving in Edenderry, there is an archery club in the area I think, join a political party (agh), macra na feirma, local chamber of commerce, take up a night class at the local school, orienteering ireland, good fishing in the silver river with the local angling club. And go support your local GAA 15,000 mates in 30 minutes and after a donation with two zeros on it. And the list goes on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Treora wrote: »
    The local harriers are well know. Maybe FB groups, social networking for professionals, meetup.com or volunteerireland.ie. If you can volunteer at Castle P festival then you can get to know alot of locals. Skydiving in Edenderry, there is an archery club in the area I think, join a political party (agh), macra na feirma, local chamber of commerce, take up a night class at the local school, orienteering ireland, good fishing in the silver river with the local angling club. And go support your local GAA 15,000 mates in 30 minutes and after a donation with two zeros on it. And the list goes on..

WTF. Edenderry gets far too much credit as it is, they won't get the credit for The Irish Parachute Club in Clonbullogue that has nothing to do with them :mad:

Back to the OP. It is kind of strange that an area with so many lovely outdoor areas doesn't have a outdoor pursuits club. I can't offer any solutions other than to say if you were willing to start such a club I'd happily become a member. Call it OOPS. Offaly Outdoor Pursuit Sports :D

If we did start a club we could host the Boards Bushcraft Club for a weekend as our opening. I'm sure in no time it would pick up. In times like these with money so tight people would be only too happy to go for a weekend camping instead of spending fortunes on expensive weekends away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Quazzie wrote: »
    WTF. Edenderry gets far too much credit as it is, they won't get the credit for The Irish Parachute Club in Clonbullogue that has nothing to do with them :mad:

The Irish Parachute Club
    Clonbullogue Airfield
    Edenderry
    Co. Offaly

http://www.skydive.ie/about/location.html

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The Irish Parachute Club
    Clonbullogue Airfield
    Edenderry
    Co. Offaly

http://www.skydive.ie/about/location.html

I've lived there all my life and I've never seen anyone with their address like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

from what i here that club were there a few years back and had there license revoked as they were dodgy fooks
    jumping when they should not etc
    they were in nenagh for a while to and ran from there

daithi55 wrote: »
    from what i here that club were there a few years back and had there license revoked as they were dodgy fooks

You've mixed up two stories. There was a place in nenagh that was closed down but there is no connection between that club and the club in Clonbullogue. The club in Clonbullogue has been running for decades and has been host to many an international event. It is held in very high regard amongst all in the international skydiving community.

Just to be clear. The IPC in Clonbullogue is a well run and perfectly legal club with absolutely zero connection with the incident you've mentioned.

• Advertisement

I've lived there all my life and I've never seen anyone with their address like that.

Well you have seen a business with one now.

When the club uses that address on their own web site it explains why people associate it with Edenderry.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Well you have seen a business with one now.

When the club uses that address on their own web site it explains why people associate it with Edenderry.

Iv always known it as the parachute club in Clonbollogue, and its what il continue to call it.

Outdoor persuits club would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Its like saying "Daingean, Tullamore".

Its ridiculous. Edenderry and Clonbollogue are two different places.

Its clonbollogue.

Also - Im not so sure about outdoor activities.

If you make a fun club, with fun inside things, ill join too!!

Its like saying "Daingean, Tullamore".

Its ridiculous. Edenderry and Clonbollogue are two different places.

Its clonbollogue.

No its ridiculous we are arguing over what the club have on their website and what some people may or may not associate with the clubs location- when the original point was about someone trying to make friends!

Sorry OP.

Treora wrote: »

Thanks for the imput.

After checking it all out I'm no further on! Clubs like the harriers have nearly PRO's in there. Meetup.com is really for the Dublin market. Volunteerireland.ie was a really good idea but would u really get to know that many people at it?!

My idea from the start was something fun, that u get to know people in a relaxed setting. Whould anyone be interested in starting an orienteering group?

I know the volunteering at the castle have led to many great friendships!

I wouldnt be so hot on joining an orienteering group myself -- it sounds like torture, but the best of luck with it!!!

Id like an orienteering club in fairness. I love all the outdoor stuff. Could start of doing hikes etc, to overnight camping to bushcraft.

We could also include fishing, rock climbing, etc. If we had enough people we could get an expert to show us certain skills in fishing, orienteering, etc.

We could also include fishing, rock climbing, etc. If we had enough people we could get an expert to show us certain skills in fishing, orienteering, etc.

Im down for that. I fish anyway. i would enjoy that. You could start small and start getting bigger as things went on

• Advertisement

Good stuff, any1 else wanna join?
    Dusty will u give me a hand trying to get more members?

Good stuff, any1 else wanna join?
    Dusty will u give me a hand trying to get more members?

I can try and recruit a few people alright. I ask around and see who's interested.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn

Hi would be interested in this too!! keep us posted!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

That sounds pretty cool. I'd love to take part.

That sounds pretty cool. I'd love to take part.

Hi Keith, we posted a new Thread on this subject titled "New Outdoor Group". BigUrn set up an email for the group greatoutdoorstullamore@gmail.com .

Think we will be meeting on monday (if it suits everyone) Are u free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

daithi55 wrote: »

You've mixed up two stories. There was a place in nenagh that was closed down but there is no connection between that club and the club in Clonbullogue. The club in Clonbullogue has been running for decades and has been host to many an international event. It is held in very high regard amongst all in the international skydiving community.

Just to be clear. The IPC in Clonbullogue is a well run and perfectly legal club with absolutely zero connection with the incident you've mentioned.

Now you are both mixed up. The place in Nenagh, Skydive Ireland, did not close down. It moved to Birr, also in Offaly and is very busy, busier than the IPC. It also operates out of Galway airport and there's nothing dodgy about it.

What incident are we talking about? Last one I know of, was with the IPC when one of their planes ran out of fuel and crashed.

xflyer wrote: »
    Now you are both mixed up. The place in Nenagh, Skydive Ireland, did not close down. It moved to Birr, also in Offaly and is very busy, busier than the IPC. It also operates out of Galway airport and there's nothing dodgy about it.

What incident are we talking about? Last one I know of, was with the IPC when one of their planes ran out of fuel and crashed.

Not knowing too much about it, I can't contradict what you are saying. I was always under the impression that the place in nenagh was dodgy, but admittedly that was from talking to members of IPC who would say that. I thought they closed down due to lack of proper insurance, although that again was a rumour I read on Boards.

All hearsay, so I can't contradict you as you seem to be more informed by me. I remember the plane crash here. I never knew it was down to lack of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

IPC bad mouthing their rivals? People in glass houses and stones spring to mind. They've had quite a bit of trouble lately. Ask about it next time you meet one of them.

The other crowd are far from dodgy, they wouldn't be allowed to operate out of airports like Sligo, Galway and Kerry if there was any problem. The issue in Nenagh was nothing to do with SDI. That was about one or two locals objecting to the airfield and they were caught in the middle.

Advertisement