Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audi A4 opinion

Options
  • 02-04-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 2006 Audi A4.

There are 2 options from what i can see in my price range 25-30K

Petrol 1.6 approx 28K (22K KMs)
    Diesal 1.9 TDi approx 30K (51K KMs)

Which is the better performer?
    Which is better for maintenance?
    Which is better for trade in?

Any info on either or would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

A4 is a fantastic car

havnt dove the 1.6 petrol

so I cant tell you what is better as regards performance

however diesels generally hold there value better
    but if anything goes wrong with them its expensive to get fixed but apart from that they are fairly robust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

reallybad wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 2006 Audi A4.

There are 2 options from what i can see in my price range 25-30K

Petrol 1.6 approx 28K (22K KMs)
    Diesal 1.9 TDi approx 30K (51K KMs)

1.9 TDi
    1.9 TDi
    Any info on either or would be appreciated
    They're very small and cramped, especially in the back, over priced, expensive to service in the main dealer network, a pathetic 1 year warranty, so for your outlay you'll get none, and only reasonably reliable. OK to drive, up market interior, looks OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A4 is a sports saloon not a family car, so yes it is cramped in the back- you don't like it, then feck off grampa:D. There's a ton of height and length in th efront- I've had 2 and I'm 6'4". Since it would be the outgoing model anyway, you may as well buy a top spec example a year or 2 older for same money. Newness is less important to cars like these, they are not designed to live and then die like a mondeo. You'll get your 1 yr warranty from most main dealers now anyway.

Avoid basic engines like the 1.6- they suck in what is supposed to be a 'proper' car.

Diesels are currently overpriced, maybe this will change in the next few years but a well specced 1.8T is a surprisingly good buy. Look in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I'm on my 2nd 1.9TDi and neither has ever given me a moment's bother. I don't use main dealers to service them as they are expensive alright and I must admit the rear is a little cramped. Aside from that they are a lovely drive and great for fuel. They also sell easily privately so you won't be stuck with them. I test drove the 1.6 before I bought the 1st one and found it sluggish and underpowered. I am also told from an owner that they are heavy enough on the juice.

reallybad wrote: »

If you're throwing away €30k+ these questions are irrelevant. Shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic comes to mind. Pass it onto the missus when you're done- that's how you really beat the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would avoid the 1.6 litre, it is woefully underpowered and ancient too, that engine dates back to the early 1990s. The 1.6 litre version is really only for people who are more concerned with having the four ringed badge than the car itself.

If your going for a petrol A4 at least go for the 1.8T. Diesel versions will always hold it's value more than the petrol versions.

cantdecide wrote: »
    A4 is a sports saloon not a family car, ... You'll get your 1 yr warranty from most main dealers now anyway.

2 Rubbish statements there. An S4 or RS4 are sports saloons, an A4 is a junior executive saloon, if you want to go down the marketing jargon, which you've obviously swallowed happily.
    And the 1 year warranty? Most main dealers? Go check. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the only ones giving that insult away. (I wouldn't call it a warranty).

And for the record, the 1.8T is one of the more unreliable engines on the road. Get the 2.4 if you want a good petrol in the A4, or the 2.0 TDi if you want a fairly good diesel. The 1.9 TDi is for just settling for, and the 1.6 is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

A4 is a sports saloon not a family car, so yes it is cramped in the back- you don't like it, then feck off grampa:D. There's a ton of height and length in th efront- I've had 2 and I'm 6'4". Since it would be the outgoing model anyway, you may as well buy a top spec example a year or 2 older for same money. Newness is less important to cars like these, they are not designed to live and then die like a mondeo. You'll get your 1 yr warranty from most main dealers now anyway.

Avoid basic engines like the 1.6- they suck in what is supposed to be a 'proper' car.

Diesels are currently overpriced, maybe this will change in the next few years but a well specced 1.8T is a surprisingly good buy. Look in the UK.

If an A4 is a sports saloon , a mondeo is a supercar on steroids!
    The A4 is about the most overated car you can buy.
    I would bet on any mondeo outliving an A4 and I've had both cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Save yourself a few grand in vrt and import a nice high spec tdi from the uk/north and only register it in July.

Even from an A4 owner myself, I have to say there is a hell of a lot of threads about A4s/audis on the motors forum theses days, we are becoming as bad as the bmw brigade:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Biro wrote: »
    They're very small and cramped, especially in the back, over priced, expensive to service in the main dealer network, a pathetic 1 year warranty, so for your outlay you'll get none, and only reasonably reliable. OK to drive, up market interior, looks OK.

Errr, try checking your facts.
    New Audi's, like most European makes, come with 2 year warranties these days and have done so for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That 1.6 is deffo to be avoided.Its pretty sluggish, fairly thirsty, not terribly quite and out of its depth in a junior exec market.I believe it dates back to the original A4 back in 1994 and hasnt been changed since.I could'nt believe it when they still put it in the post 2005 facelifted models.I mean for about 10g less you could get a vw passat with the far superior 1.6fsi engine.Note that that 1.6 engine is still going in plenty of VAG cars such as the A3, golf ,octavia, leon, altea etc.....I'd avoid it those cars aswell btw

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Errr, try checking your facts.
    New Audi's, like most European makes, come with 2 year warranties these days and have done so for a few years now.

Check your facts... he's not buying new, in 2005 they came with 1 year.
    Even 2 years is still a laugh.

Check your facts... he's not buying new, in 2005 they came with 1 year.
    Even 2 years is still a laugh.

Wrong again. I bought a new Audi in 2005... it came with a 2-year warranty. A bought a new Ford in 2002 - 2 year warranty also.
    A minimum 2-year manufacturers warranty has been European law for several years now! And just to be pedantic the OP said he's looking at 2006, not 2005.

I do agree though that 2 years is still a bit tight, 3 years should be a minimum (I believe it is in the UK).

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Wrong again. I bought a new Audi in 2005... it came with a 2-year warranty. A bought a new Ford in 2002 - 2 year warranty also.
    A minimum 2-year manufacturers warranty has been European law for several years now! And just to be pedantic the OP said he's looking at 2006, not 2005.

I do agree though that 2 years is still a bit tight, 3 years should be a minimum (I believe it is in the UK).

Fair enough, maybe it was 2004 then. Uncle had a 1.8T blow up on him at 13 months old, no warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

grahambo wrote: »
    A4 is a fantastic car

Eh....

No it's not. Nice looking, nice interior, badge has snob appeal but in every other way a Mondeo is superior.

Plus it drives like a turd compared with the 3-series or even the aforementioned Ford.

2 Rubbish statements there

Sorry for keeping you from your seal bashing but I'm confused here

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.8T-QUATTRO/955526/

Does this look junior exec car to you??? Is it the OEM 18s, the 4WD, the sports suspension that makes it look like a junior exec car???

It's not my fault if Irish people like buying bog standard 1.6 teaser models for the four rings. There is also a reason that the passat is a cheaper and puffed up, obese A4.

Check for yourself- they're all throwing 12 mth warranties around liek confetti. My mate was offered one on a '99 CLK FFS. So think before you mouth off, friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

defo the 1.9tdi, the 130bhp is a beauty of a car! if ur buying a petrol get the 1.8T........simple as that and the diesel will hold its value better!

Does this look junior exec car to you??? Is it the OEM 18s, the 4WD, the sports suspension that makes it look like a junior exec car???

It's not my fault if Irish people like buying bog standard 1.6 teaser models for the four rings. There is also a reason that the passat is a cheaper and puffed up, obese A4.

Check for yourself- they're all throwing 12 mth warranties around liek confetti. My mate was offered one on a '99 CLK FFS. So think before you mouth off, friend.
    That's 2nd hand warranty you're talking about.
    And it doesn't look anything like a sports saloon to me. And the 1.8T engine is shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I have the 1.9 tdi 130bhp and I'm very happy with it. Nice and sturdy, good looks, great interior, nice balance of power and fuel economy.

I bought it because I liked it and I know I'll have no trouble getting shot of it privately when the time comes.

That said, I'm looking at replacing it with an NI 2.2 diesel Mondeo in July. More power, similar economy and an equally good car if you look past the badge image.

But if you like the A4 then go for it dude, life's too short to always be practical...:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have the 1.9 tdi 130bhp and I'm very happy with it. Nice and sturdy, good looks, great interior, nice balance of power and fuel economy.

I bought it because I liked it and I know I'll have no trouble getting shot of it privately when the time comes.

That said, I'm looking at replacing it with an NI 2.2 diesel Mondeo in July. More power, similar economy and an equally good car if you look past the badge image.

But if you like the A4 then go for it dude, life's too short to always be practical...:)

Hey did u read my mind lol

Have the same as above, 02 A4 1.9TDI, I am very happy with it, bar the air con breaking, has enough power to do me.
    Am looking at replacing it next Autumn with a 2.2 ST TDI Mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

That just looks like a muppet motor! You know that some body that drives an A4 like that is a wannabe. They are blind to the fact that skoda build a car that is equally as incompentant. 26,000 euros buys you a lot of far superior cars to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

groupb wrote: »
    That just looks like a muppet motor!. They are blind to the fact that skoda build a car that is equally as incompentant. 26,000 euros buys you a lot of far superior cars to that.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

That just looks like a muppet motor! You know that some body that drives an A4 like that is a wannabe. They are blind to the fact that skoda build a car that is equally as incompentant. 26,000 euros buys you a lot of far superior cars to that.

Your sir, are an idiot. Rant over.

yeah, very insightful comment there. Seems like several posters around here seem to slag anything VAG just for the hell of it.
    That particular A4 looks like an excellent and well looked after example for a 4 year old car. Perhaps priced a bit on the high side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I've an A4 1.6. Having come from 1400cc Hondas, the lack of performance is less of an issue with me. I wasn't prepared tp go for diesel, & spend a few more €k's! The 1.6 is an 'old' engine alright, the basic 102bhp 8v unit in the Golf since the early 90's. I did think it a pity that there wasn't a normally aspirated 1.8 with around 125bhp - this would've given a little more sparkle. I too wondered why Audi have held onto the 1.6 102bhp unit when the 1.6 FSI was available in the Passat. Either 1.6's though aren't great when to comes to fuel consumption around town (1.6 102bhp - 26.3mpg; 1.6 FSI 115bhp - 28.4mpg). The diesels are far better in this regard 37.8mpg is achieved by the 2.0Tdi 140bhp unit which is €9k more than the 1.6 basic unit was. I see the 1.6 has been dropped from the new A4 just launched. The 1.8T seems to be available in two guises: 1.8T 120bhp, & 160bhp with a €4k price difference! All in all I find the A4 a good car. solid & a good drive. On a long journey just set the climate control & cruise along in comfort. It isn't spacious in the rear though, & the rear seats being not of the 40/60 split folding type is a pain - this is an option for an additional €4-500!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

1.8T is not a bad engine. Had one in a TT and drove it hard for 2 years(until it was 7 ears old). No problems. These are tuned much higher than those in the A4 so it must be reliable in the A4. Oil change every 8000 is the key though.

I would buy a 2005 new model A6 2.0TDI for around 30000. Far superior car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Perhaps, were it not for the skirts. It's certainly no sports saloon, though.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Perhaps, were it not for the skirts. It's certainly no sports saloon, though.

Definately not. And where did that 190bhp figure come from? The seller's head? Or maybe he has a go-faster stripe that adds the extra bhp.

@Mickdw - A6 2.0TDi is a good suggestion, and actually a proper Audi.

Advertisement