Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot cramps

• 27-07-2002 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this is a bit odd... BUT!

I've been getting extremely painfull foot cramps for years now, and I've always been getting them in bed of all things. I get them when I'm swimming also.

But it's puzzling me that it's usually when I'm just lying still. One minute I'm dozing off, then bang my foot cramps up, and it's unbeleivably painfull.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Or know what might be wrong? I've never bothered going to the doc with this because it's something that always just happened, and I never thought much of it. But could there be something to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

IIRC cramping is mainly due to a lack of potasium in your diet. Eat a banana a day and the cramping will more than likely go away. (Thats why tennis players etc eat bananas - to stop them cramping up.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Originally posted by Moriarty
    IIRC cramping is mainly due to a lack of potasium in your diet. Eat a banana a day and the cramping will more than likely go away. (Thats why tennis players etc eat bananas - to stop them cramping up.)
    Hrm.. and heres me thinking IIRC cramps were caused from using IRC too much...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Absolutley correct...usually a sign of low potassium in the diet. If you dont like bananas try to fins something else high in potassium ;) there may be some pills you can take as well.

I had the same exact problem myself for awhile, however my problem was related to something else that I am not at liberty to discuss on boards. I doubt that it would affect you though...have you any other strange things happening, muscle spasms or the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Thanks...
    I'll try eating a few more banana's and see how it turns out.

But no, I've no spasms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They're a real bastid alright..
    I get them the odd time. Sometimes swhen standing on soemthing awkwardly, like the end of a footpath and my footbends lengthways over the edge, hurts like a sheep for ages.
    Can hardly walk.

The worst are the ones in your leg though, totaly cripples me when they happen.

Got a very bad neck cramp about 4 years ago too.
    Was yawning in school and sudeenly couldn't move my head to the left without a massive bolt of pain.
    Was that way for about 2 straight days.
    Couldn't sleep the first night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

It may not be potassium- sodium is also a concern. Make sure you get enough salt in your food. And, it sounds cliche- but the one sure way to stave off lumbago, cramps, shingles, etc- is to eat a healthy balanced diet- include 5 helpings of fruit & veg a day, and you're set. Exercise helps too- though any CoF fan gets enough exercise just trying to find a place that sells their brand of noise *cough* music ^_^

Occy

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Like the sig Occy mate.
    While you're being your good doctorine self, have you any idea what can help rid you of heart burn!? Thats something that bugs my skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Take one teaspoon of mustard if you have heartburn or indigestion. You will immediatelly feel the acid going back in to the stomach. Do not drink anything right after you have taken the mustard. If one teaspoon doesn't do the trick, take another, tt surely will.

Also try eating smaller meals more frequently.

Was just talking to mam (homeopathy freak) and she reckons Nux vomica should do the trick. Dissolve one in a pint of water and sip during the day, should stop it occurring or relieve it when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

IIRC Yoda is actually 943

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish

Was just talking to mam (homeopathy freak) and she reckons Nux vomica should do the trick. Dissolve one in a pint of water and sip during the day, should stop it occurring or relieve it when it happens.

Nux Vomica 30, no need for a higher power of it.
    My Ma is a homeopath. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i've had the same thing as angelwhore for years now, nearly always happens when i'm relaxed in bed, and once when i was swimming.
    always in my left foot aswell.
    lack of salt/vegetables/fruit in my diet isnt an issue, and i used to eat bananas all the time, but they didnt make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Make sure you are not dehydrated as well, that causes cramping, especially in your arms/legs if you are doing anything strenuous like sport or running for the bus,

Played alot of bball when I was younger and suffered fairly bad cos I didn't drink enough water before during or after playing for a few hours,

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Re. the cramp thing...
    Does it happen more if you've been out drinking?

I also get the leg cramp in bed thing sometimes. It seems to happen if I'd had a bit to drink especially. Sometimes,I wake up with a mad cramp attack, then fall asleep again, and I don't remember anything about it until I wake the next day and try to walk and I can't straighten one of my legs fully. I don't really get cramp at any other time, though my mum always told me it will happen if you wear heels that are too high (though I'm positive that doesn't apply to you AngelWhore...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I get these as well. I put it down to wearing shoes all day because i dont get them if i dont wear shoes. Its not natural to have your foot cramped tightly like that all day. Tension builds up in it.
    You will find that in bed you are flexing the foot in ways that you cant when wearing a shoe, bringing new musceles into play.
    I delebritaly cramp my foot after a long day, let the cramp play out (only lasts a few seconds if you dont fight it). after 1 or 2 times the foot wont cramp any more and i have lovely relaxed feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

i get the most excruciating in and around my toes now and then it feels as if they have been dislocated, it last about 20 seconds sometimes longer. happens in both feet not at the same time when i am lying down, swimming even walking and i eat about 3 bananas a day and eat very healthy. is this what you experience a.w

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Strangest thing so do I. I don't have to wear heels, I don't have to have done exercise, I had potassium checked, I eat salt, and as soon as I get in bed...BANG! I found that drinking OJ regularly helps. I had them last night again. I put socks on and rubbed my feet til they were real warm. Can't figure it out.

I've been getting extremely painfull foot cramps for years now, and I've always been getting them in bed of all things. I get them when I'm swimming also.

But it's puzzling me that it's usually when I'm just lying still. One minute I'm dozing off, then bang my foot cramps up, and it's unbeleivably painfull.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Or know what might be wrong? I've never bothered going to the doc with this because it's something that always just happened, and I never thought much of it. But could there be something to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Quinine (in tonic water) is good for cramp generally.

I find I get foot cramps if I walk barefoot on cold floors, so if I go to bed via laminate kitchen, hallway across bathroom tiles and laminate landing/bedroom.....! (Keep your socks on) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Tonic water eewww!!! Hate the stuff.
    Yeah its really annoying, my foot cramps when I swim as well...so I just stopped swimming. Probably not the best way to solve the problem though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

So do I, but then I don't much like being up half the night trying to uncramp my foot either.

Swimming = get out of pool, step onto what? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

I get them quite frequently, usually when im in bed.
    One minute im sleeping peacefully, the next im writhing around in pain. Annoying as hell. Happens to my mother alot too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every now and again I get a nasty one in my left ankle/calf area when it happens its "quiet agony" for about 30 seconds then the pain subsides, it might re-occure for a while afterwards in a less painful fashion. And yes its when in bed and stretched out it happens.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i get these too, never really knew what they were !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Another sufferer here. I've even gone off swimming due to the pain that they cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tomtoes

If you suffer from these foot cramps a good thing to do is get a golf ball and roll it backwards and forwards underneath your foot. It stretches the muscles in your foot and if you get into the habit of it you shouldn't suffer from them anymore. You can do this while watching tv etc...
    Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

Hi Karl, hi Everyone.
    I used to get these. In bed, & while stretching in bed.

Heres what I found really worked to immediately deal with the cramp: Stand up straight, both feet on the ground, and lean onto the cramping foot/leg.
    For me, when I did this, the pain started to subside in about 5 seconds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I get them too! I was even thinking about starting a PI thread about them. They hurt like nothing else. Sometimes, when I'm awake, I can feel them coming on and stop them, but it's horrendous when you get them in your sleep. I usually get mine in my calves though.

I must try implementing more potassium, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What a resurrection - a 2002 thread! :)

(I get them regularly - never knew about the bananas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha! Did'nt spot the date but I shoudda guesed it was old with Caesar_Bojangles name on screen.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Since tis resurrected...I used to get them too, was getting progressively worse ...with me it was really a tiny bone in the arch that used to slip slightly out of place just as your body relaxes when you drift off (must've knocked years off...happy sleepy to wide awake can't be good)
    Anyway before I got around to getting it sorted footpeg of a motox bike went through my boot ,dug in and no more cramps since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hi Karl, i find drinking a little water and doing some stretches before bedtime can do wonders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement