Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Mere Mention of Abortion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Let's face it, I'd be none the wiser had I never existed & neither would anyone else so it's actually a moot argument.

By this token you would imagine that having abortions doesn't affect anyone, even the parents. And it does. But that's another conversation...and I'm genuinely not looking for an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

seenitall wrote: »
    I am very pro-choice, but for me there are differences as to the timing of the termination. I wouldn't be too happy with people having late-term abortions
    I think that is one of the key points made thus far.

Obviously this is a hypothetical given the legal status of abortion in most states (especially this one), but if abortion law permitted unrestricted terminations (ie. up until birth), I wonder how many of those who claim they would not judge/criticise a friend, would honestly say the same if their friend had an abortion at 39 weeks and 6 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

By this token you would imagine that having abortions doesn't affect anyone, even the parents. And it does. But that's another conversation...and I'm genuinely not looking for an argument.

I'm disappointed you'd try to pass that off as my imaginings - nothing could be further from the truth.

Your original point was based on nothing more than a plea to emotion regarding what my life has become and those in it - to which I pointed out was moot had I never experienced conciousness...at no point have I suggested that the experience of abortion does not affect those who make the decision go through it.

I have seen the anguish and hurt on both sides of the fence - one of the reasons why I am vehemently against the whole magdalene-esque wishes to control women's reproduction even against their direct, prudent and judicious wishes.

drkpower wrote: »
    I think that is one of the key points made thus far.

Obviously this is a hypothetical given the legal status of abortion in most states (especially this one), but if abortion law permitted unrestricted terminations (ie. up until birth), I wonder how many of those who claim they would not judge/criticise a friend, would honestly say the same if their friend had an abortion at 39 weeks and 6 days.

How likely is it that anyone would or could have an abortion to a point where a child would be legally able to survive outwith the womb? Are there any jurisdictions where abortion up to 39+wks are possible in order that such an eventuality should be taken into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I'm disappointed you'd try to pass that off as my imaginings - nothing could be further from the truth.

Your original point was based on nothing more than a plea to emotion regarding what my life has become and those in it - to which I pointed out was moot had I never experienced conciousness...at no point have I suggested that the experience of abortion does not affect those who make the decision go through it.

Ok. The tempers are rising already. I was not trying to pass off your feelings or position as something it is not: honest. I was trying to highlight that the complexity and difficulty that arises when adoption is offered as a solution is not alleviated by abortion, which brings its own complexities and difficulties, not to mention that it actually ends potential life.

And that is my last word, and it is a word of clarification only, because I do not want to get into an argument about the rights and wrongs of abortion. I am clearly not in favour of it and would be willing to put my money where my mouth is and genuinely and self-sacrificially help anyone in my life who found themselves with an unplanned pregnancy. This is not a pious or judgmental position but a heart conviction.

PS When I wrote "you would imagine" I meant "one would imagine"...not you personally.

How likely is it that anyone would or could have an abortion to a point where a child would be legally able to survive outwith the womb? Are there any jurisdictions where abortion up to 39+wks are possible in order that such an eventuality should be taken into account?

Well, I did say 39+ weeks was a hypothetical...... (although perhaps not,see below)! The point being that even those of us who support the general right of abortion will often have serious issues with an abortion after a certain period of time (for me, i would have serious problems with a friend who chose to have an abortion post-viability unless there were some fairly extraordinary extenuating circumstances). I think those of us who are of that mindset have to try harder to see the issue from the perspective who genuinely see a 10 week abortion as being as heinous as we might see a 39 week abortion.

As for whether 39+ week abortions are permissable anywhere, Im not entirely sure. Im pretty sure there are no restrictions in certain asian countries (possibly china/laos/vietnam/others?). I think that Canada allows very late abortions (im not sure if it goes beyond 39 weeks though).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

I assume when posters are asked how they'd feel about a friend having an abortion, that most would be thinking in terms of the most likely way that could happen - as opposed to answering the question based on the judicial abortion laws in laos...iirc, the numbers travelling from Ireland to the UK to procure abortions was around 4500 in 2010 - down from 6600 in 2001 - so not insignificant and I would think that's the scenario most are thinking of when considering a friend having an abortion...

I imagine there would certainly be much fewer people supporting termination at any gestation - though it is a topic which naturally draws contradictions; as the laws here covering contraceptives, the MAP and abortion are testament to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am pro choice and cannot stand the pro life brigade but I wouldn't go out of my way to start an argument about it, as someone already posted, it has been done to death and no matter what I say will change their minds and vice versa.

I have had an abortion many moons ago and legally so in the country I was living in at the time. I did not suffer guilt afterwards nor do I now. For me, it was the right thing to do at the time. So pro choice all the way.

I assume when posters are asked how they'd feel about a friend having an abortion, that most would be thinking in terms of the most likely way that could happen - as opposed to answering the question based on the judicial abortion laws in laos..

Oh, Ive no doubt you are right there.

But my point is that when trying to understand the perhaps severe reaction someone of a very pro-life disposition has to a friend who has an abortion at, lets say, 12 weeks, it is illustrative to think of what our own feelings would be to a friend who may have had an abortion at 28 or 32 or even 38 weeks.

After all, the major difference is the ethical/moral position that each of us holds with respect to abortion.

While that is true, the 39wk foetus argument isn't a million miles off the "murder a toddler" argument where it all starts getting very silly.

I think (hope?!) it's possible to acknowledge someone can be pro-choice while also accepting foetal viability and human conciousness are pivotal to the limitations many put on abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

py2006 wrote: »
    I think this says a lot about you as a person to be honest. Eradicating people or "scum" as you put it because they have a different opinion or spitting in peoples faces is clearly the trait of an extremist. Quite frankly you did those people a favour.

Whatever you views on this subject be respectful of other views.

I don't think anyone should have to respect another's views. I'm sure there are a lot of views people could hold that you would feel as strongly about, and wouldn't appreciate if people told you to 'respect' them.

It's not a benign 'different opinion' like an opinion on what's your favourite chocolate bar. It represents a hugely different ideological position, that has huge ramifications and is deeply personal. If someone feels strongly enough about something it can be very hard to see someone in the same light that feels the opposite way. I have to say i'd struggle with the pro-life position myself and I'd probably distance myself from those that are staunchly pro-life.
    I am pro-choice. No qualifications about rape or incest. No qualifications about counselling (the idea of mandatory counselling is barbaric). No qualifications about needing to know that it's a difficult, painful or heartbreaking decision before I'd be 'OK' with it. No qualifications about how many abortions one woman can have or what circumstances are OK. No qualifications about how it's OK for other women, but not for me.

So for all those reasons, I think I can safely say I wouldn't judge a woman for it or think of her differently if she made that choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Wibbs wrote: »
    If I have an overly vehement reaction to someone's opinions I usually step back and ask myself why, because in me is where I'll usually find the answer.

I don't really get the point you're making here. What do you mean by 'in me is where I'll usually find the answer'? I would think that any response I have about anything is coming from 'in me'.

I think a vehement, strong, angry response is often very appropriate if you are faced with what you see as oppression or unfairness. And I wouldn't like to think that you would dismiss that vehement anger by suggesting someone needs to look at their own issues.

While that is true, the 39wk foetus argument isn't a million miles off the "murder a toddler" argument where it all starts getting very silly..
    I agree with you on that. But I could move the goalposts to 28 weeks and the point would still stand.
    I think (hope?!) it's possible to acknowledge someone can be pro-choice while also accepting foetal viability and human conciousness are pivotal to the limitations many put on abortion.

I certainly acknowledge that. But I hope it's possible to acknowledge that those are not the only factors that inform people's views on the abortion issue. And that is why I think when we try to understand the reaction of others who have a different view (to women who have an abortion) , we need to consider that our own justifications are not the only ones that are potentially valid.

Personally, I would consider myself pro-choice, yet while conciousness and viability are factors i take into account, they are not the only factors i take into account.

Sorry drkpower, you've lost me - what point are you making? That people have differing views on abortion? That it's all rather arbitrary opinion? Is that not fairly obvious when it comes to one of the best known emotive topics around? :confused:

That those those who claim they would not judge/criticise a friend for having an abortion are not being entirely honest. What they are really saying is that they would not judge/criticise a friend for having an abortion at a timeframe that matched their own view on abortion. If a friend had an abortion at a timeframe (or for a reason) that was well outside their own view on abortion, they might not be so understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

That those those who claim they would not judge/criticise a friend for having an abortion are not being entirely honest. What they are really saying is that they would not judge/criticise a friend for having an abortion at a timeframe that matched their own view on abortion. If a friend had an abortion at a timeframe (or for a reason) that was well outside their own view on abortion, they might not be so understanding.

To a certain extent I agree with you, and that's why I started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Kooli wrote: »
    I don't think anyone should have to respect another's views. I'm sure there are a lot of views people could hold that you would feel as strongly about, and wouldn't appreciate if people told you to 'respect' them.

It's not a benign 'different opinion' like an opinion on what's your favourite chocolate bar. It represents a hugely different ideological position, that has huge ramifications and is deeply personal. If someone feels strongly enough about something it can be very hard to see someone in the same light that feels the opposite way. I have to say i'd struggle with the pro-life position myself and I'd probably distance myself from those that are staunchly pro-life.
    I am pro-choice. No qualifications about rape or incest. No qualifications about counselling (the idea of mandatory counselling is barbaric). No qualifications about needing to know that it's a difficult, painful or heartbreaking decision before I'd be 'OK' with it. No qualifications about how many abortions one woman can have or what circumstances are OK. No qualifications about how it's OK for other women, but not for me.

So for all those reasons, I think I can safely say I wouldn't judge a woman for it or think of her differently if she made that choice.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That's what I believe.

In defence of Kooli, it would be a lot easier to dismiss the pro-life views (for me anyway), if they were not legally stopping people who believe in abortion to have a safe, legal one in their own country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't really get the point you're making here. What do you mean by 'in me is where I'll usually find the answer'? I would think that any response I have about anything is coming from 'in me'.

I think a vehement, strong, angry response is often very appropriate if you are faced with what you see as oppression or unfairness. And I wouldn't like to think that you would dismiss that vehement anger by suggesting someone needs to look at their own issues.
    For me anyway K an overly strong response require reflection within myself as to the why's of it. I may well come out of that process thinking yes I was bang on the money, but if I get really wound up I feel it needs that personal reflection. When I see folks talking about judgement on friends, never mind strangers and even considering spitting in a complete strangers eye because of an opposing view to mine I do think WT jumping F. I see it akin to external insults from others. 99 times outa 100 if I take offence that offence is more to do with me than them. I'm probably not explaining it too well to be fair K:o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That's what I believe.
    +1000

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

bronte wrote: »
    This is something I've noticed recently.
    A lot of the time it's about controlling the woman and nothing else.

Is that really the case though? I don't define myself as pro-choice or anything of the sort and I don;t know anyone who would define themselves as much, but I find it hard to accept that the people who do are acting from a misogynistic tendency. Are the many women who are against abortion doing so out of self loathing?

I think that it's easier to dismiss people by painting them as caricatures, and I think that that tends tio happen on both sides of the debate.

There's a difference I think, between not respecting someone's views and wishing to physically assault that person because of them.
    If someone feels strongly enough about something it can be very hard to see someone in the same light that feels the opposite way.

This thread was started because the OP was shocked by how some pro-life people react to those who have had abortions. The general trend has been that such negative reactions on the part of pro-lifers is wrong. The pro-life people who have posted here, including myself, have stated that their opinions of people who have had abortions don't change because of the procedure. Indeed, the only people thus far who have intimated that they would react in a wholly negative way to a contrary opinion on the matter have been pro-choice posters.

It's somewhat ironic and probably a tad hypocritical that, in a thread where there is universal concurrence that women who have had abortions should not be judged, some pro-lifers have no qualms about allowing their judgements negatively affect their relations with those who might hold a contrary view.

If you think it's reasonable for pro-lifers to have extremely negative reactions to those who advocate against abortion, then it's hardly consistent to criticise such reactiosn when they come from the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

when i was younger i was pro life , life was more black and white in those days . now i would be pro choice especially after living here in ireland the amount of woman i have met who have found themselves facing this situation and the distress and complications they face is just appalling .

i would defend their right to recieve proper care and help in their situations 1000 per cent

• Advertisement

Okay, I'm following now - that could well be true...mind you I think that's probably the case with anything that is so opinion dividing it requires legislation to define the conditions under which it is or is not allowed by a particular society - or where you struggle to find more than a couple of societies who don't have conditions in place.

That said, it's perfectly possibly to have legislative and hypothetical preferences and still support a friend going through a crises or trauma in reality regardless so I'm not sure you can automatically make such sweeping assumptions, either...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Einhard wrote: »
    Is that really the case though? I don't define myself as pro-choice or anything of the sort and I don;t know anyone who would define themselves as much, but I find it hard to accept that the people who do are acting from a misogynistic tendency. Are the many women who are against abortion doing so out of self loathing?

Again, not saying all pro lifers have this stance.
    I am curious as to why some people aren't pro life for the entire life of the child.
    They seem to lose interest once it's born. Where is the campaigning by these groups for adoption societies/ support for mothers with limited resources? Maybe I'm wrong and it does happen?

As for the women...I am someone who has chosen never to have children simply out of personal preference and you would not believe the amount of abuse a woman gets when she admits such a choice. There's an attitude of "you think that now...just wait" "Oh we all felt that way"
    Some people just hate the idea of a woman being free of the responsibilities of motherhood.
    When you see the amount of older mothers who are out on the streets at pro life rallies, you have to consider your source.
    It's simply an observation.
    I totally believe a person can be pro life and not fit into the above categories...but there's more to it than meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

See, I do think it is mostly about control really. I am pro-choice and by that I mean, I'm in favour of options. It doesn't make me pro-one particular choice though. Choice is the key for me.

For many, many of those who would define themselves as pro-life, it's not just something that they wouldn't do, that they wouldn't choose, it is, quite literally a desire to impose their choice on someone else. That's a control issue.

I don't think it is necessarily misogynistic although I have known some pro-lifers who were clearly misogynists. I also know quite a lot of women who would say they are pro-life because that is the only option they see for them - but they don't object to other women making different choices. In that case, I see them really as pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am pro-choice, I guess. I've always said that if I got pregnant right now I'd go off to France to get an abortion (I have a French social security card...80% of it would be paid for me). But I have never been in that situation so I don't really know.

Really can't imagine going through with a pregnancy for at least another 10 years sooo... Anyway I'm very careful when it comes to contraception...but nothing can prevent it completely! Except when I do the girl thing of course :pac:

I would have absolutely no problem with others getting abortions of course. And I have no problem with pro-life people. It's none of my business what other people decide to do.

Again, not saying all pro lifers have this stance.
    I am curious as to why some people aren't pro life for the entire life of the child.
    They seem to lose interest once it's born. Where is the campaigning by these groups for adoption societies/ support for mothers with limited resources? Maybe I'm wrong and it does happen?

Pro-lifers are that way because they believe that the unborn child/foetus has some value beyond that which pro-choicers would ascribe to it. Their aim is to prevent the child being terminated. If the child is born, then their mission is achieved. I think it's unreasonable to then demand that they be persoanlly responsible for the life of that child. I'm against the death penalty. I don't think anyone should be executed by the state. By your logic, I should therefore have some responsibility for any prisoners who are rescued from death through the campaigning of anti-death penalty activists.
    As for the women...I am someone who has chosen never to have children simply out of personal preference and you would not believe the amount of abuse a woman gets when she admits such a choice. There's an attitude of "you think that now...just wait" "Oh we all felt that way"
    Some people just hate the idea of a woman being free of the responsibilities of motherhood.

Well there's something just wrong about people who have such ideas.
    When you see the amount of older mothers who are out on the streets at pro life rallies, you have to consider your source.

I don't know what you mean by this. Is there something wrong with mothers being pro-life?
    It's simply an observation.
    I totally believe a person can be pro life and not fit into the above categories...but there's more to it than meets the eye.

I read an article in slate.com last year about a New York journalist who made a conscious decision to use abortion as her means of contraception. I found it pretty reprehensible, and indeed so did the pro-choice person reporting on it. Of course, such attitudes are shared by only the tiniest minority of women, but if I were to adopt a similar stance on this incident viz pro-choicers as the one you adopt regarding loony extremists viz pro-lifers, I'd be implying that her attitude is somehow shared by all pro-lifers.

In other words, and to paraphjrase yourself:
    Woman in NY sees abortion as contraception

I totally believe that pro-choicers don't necessarily share this woman's POV...but there's more to it than meets the eye...

You're giving with one hand and taking away with the other if you see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

lazygal wrote: »
    I find pro-life people are usually pro life until the baby comes. Are Youth Defence going to raise an unwanted child for a women? Going to give her financial, emotional and practical support? I don't think so, once the baby is here they don't give a sh!t about it and I'd wager a lot of those groups are the same.

You took the words out of my mouth. It is like these people cannot see beyond the womb. They do not seem to realise that this child will need someone to look after it and love it and protect it. And has been mentioned by others adoption is not the next easy answer. Under the Adoption Act 2010 married parents cannot give up their child so where does that leave them? Also there will be lots of children who will never be adopted and will only be shunted from one foster home to another where god knows what could be done to them. We have enough children suffering in this world already.

I have no problem with a person being pro-life as long as they realise that their opinion should not stop women from availing of this procedure if they so wish.

EMF2010 wrote: »
    See, I do think it is mostly about control really. I am pro-choice and by that I mean, I'm in favour of options. It doesn't make me pro-one particular choice though. Choice is the key for me.

For many, many of those who would define themselves as pro-life, it's not just something that they wouldn't do, that they wouldn't choose, it is, quite literally a desire to impose their choice on someone else. That's a control issue.

I don't think it is necessarily misogynistic although I have known some pro-lifers who were clearly misogynists. I also know quite a lot of women who would say they are pro-life because that is the only option they see for them - but they don't object to other women making different choices. In that case, I see them really as pro-choice.

They're valid arguments, but I think many pro-lifers would argue that the pro-choice argument is also one of enforced control and imposition of a personal choice, ie the pregnant woman makes a decision and imposes it on the unborn child.

The fundamental difference between pro-lifers and pro-choicers, I think, is in how each side views the unborn child/foetus. The very fact that I am using two terms for the one entity illustrates this. Pro-lifers believe that the unborn child, as they would term it, has some essence of humanity that pro-choicers would deny it. Now, you might disagree entirely with the notion that the unborn child or foetus is anything more than a clump of cells, and scorn me for believing that, but you cannot reasonably, in light of that, turn around and claim that my attitude stems from a desire to control women. And it's unfair to claim such a thing. It would be akin to me claiming that people who have abortions are infant killers. We all agree that such a statement would be absolutely incorrect and to be condemned, and yet all slanders are permitted against pro-lifers. It's hardly a conistent line to take. It seems to be a common trend though- pro-choicers criticisee some pro-lifers for stances and attitudes which are not altogether different from the ones they happen to hold in the opposite direction.

BTW, I hate using terms such as pro-life and pro-choice because they imply so much that is negative about the respectine sides. I'm using them here not because I believe they are accurate descriptors but because they are at hand so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Pro-lifers are that way because they believe that the unborn child/foetus has some value beyond that which pro-choicers would ascribe to it. Their aim is to prevent the child being terminated. If the child is born, then their mission is achieved. I think it's unreasonable to then demand that they be persoanlly responsible for the life of that child. I'm against the death penalty. I don't think anyone should be executed by the state. By your logic, I should therefore have some responsibility for any prisoners who are rescued from death through the campaigning of anti-death penalty activists.
    Look, I am not saying they need to be personally responsible for the life of the child, I just wonder why there seems to be a lack of interest after the woman gives birth.

Well there's something just wrong about people who have such ideas.
    Agreed, but these people are out there and do exist.
    I don't know what you mean by this. Is there something wrong with mothers being pro-life?
    Not at all, but some have an agenda. One that I encounter time and time again
    I read an article in slate.com last year about a New York journalist who made a conscious decision to use abortion as her means of contraception. I found it pretty reprehensible, and indeed so did the pro-choice person reporting on it. Of course, such attitudes are shared by only the tiniest minority of women, but if I were to adopt a similar stance on this incident viz pro-choicers as the one you adopt regarding loony extremists viz pro-lifers, I'd be implying that her attitude is somehow shared by all pro-lifers.
    As do I.
    A sane person would never see abortion as a form of contraception.
    Like I said repeatedly not all pro lifers are of the stances I mentioned.
    Some are.

histories wrote: »
    You took the words out of my mouth. It is like these people cannot see beyond the womb. They do not seem to realise that this child will need someone to look after it and love it and protect it.

I'm sure you don't mean it as such, but that argument could be seen as having something of a eugenics bent to it. The idea that an unborn child/foetus should be aborted because there is a chance it mightn't be loved or have a secure, comfortable family life is somewhat shocking to me. It's akin to saying: this child mightn't have a great life so best to deny it the chance of life altogether. I know that's probably not what you believe but that's where such arguments as above logically lead.
    I have no problem with a person being pro-life as long as they realise that their opinion should not stop women from availing of this procedure if they so wish.

What you're rally saying here is that you have no problem with someone being pro-life as long as they STFU, keep their opinions to themselves, and in no way try to act on their convictions.

• Advertisement

As do I.
    A sane person would never see abortion as a form of contraception.

Can I ask why not? Many people that I know who are pro-choice accord the foetus no special status before a certain period. If that is the case, if the foetus at 14 weeks is no more than a clump of cells, then what's wrong with abortion as contraception?

If though, one believes that a foetus at 14 weeks does have a special status, does that not bring in a moral dimension to it?

To my mind, while I think that lady's actions were pretty horrible, I could see that she was being consistent in her beliefs.

Advertisement