Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

• 12-04-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is Derek Mooney a bit thick?

I am listening to the guy talking about the Birthday Paradox, which is quite interesting. Now apart from the fact he keeps interrupting the guy, he is talking utter rubbish.

Like the guy said "To guarantee 2 people in a room share a birthday, you have to have a total of 367 people in the room". And Derek goes "IS that true?". Thats basic maths Derek!

Then the guy goes, "How many people do you need for a 50/50 chance that 2 people share a birthday? and Derek goes "Err double?" :eek:

And I think Brenda should keep her mouth shut in segments like this.

Moderator: warning here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91329771&postcount=2695:
    Moderator: There will be no more derisive comments about anyone's sexuality in this thread.

From here on, any incursion on this policy will be an instant week-long ban. A second offence will be a month. A third will be permanent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

Is there one for Derek Mooney?

I'd like to have a bit of a moan about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

syklops wrote: »
    And I think Brenda should keep her mouth shut in segments like this.
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

I couldn't believe my ears when hearing this yesterday, especially given that the bit about having 367 people in the room was just the preamble to part about the 50% probability needing just 23 people.

Also, when the text came in about adding the last two digits of the year you were born and the age you'll be this year and getting 111, they seemed amazed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I couldn't believe my ears when hearing this yesterday, especially given that the bit about having 367 people in the room was just the preamble to part about the 50% probability needing just 23 people.

I found that very annoying. Should up and listen to what he is saying, this is the introduction to the story, not the story itself.
    Also, when the text came in about adding the last two digits of the year you were born and the age you'll be this year and getting 111, they seemed amazed

Brenda was a bit slow at that bit too. It took her about 5 minutes to add 2 numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Yes, I can't stand him. How this guy is earning a 6 figure salary i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think you've just started it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

At last. :)

A megathread for discussion about discussion about tits !

Blue ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yesterday Mooney said Irish people should do the patriotic thing and holiday in this country.

I think someone needs to take the patriotic stick out of his arse and allow people to give him a smack on the head with it. If people want to get away from this sheep's arse of a country then they damn well should be able to without some tit bleating on about patriotism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

How's this for a coincidence Derek, I lose my rte feed at 3.20 everyday!!

bbbbbbbbyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭miketv

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    How's this for a coincidence Derek, I lose my rte feed at 3.20 everyday!!

bbbbbbbbyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee...................
    lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Rarely listen to Mooney - if I'm near a radio I listen to Sean Moncrief instead - far better.

Derek is sufferin from a bad case of Risin' Camp, IMO. I sometimes tune in at the start of the show for a laugh to hear how clichéd the topics he's going to be talking about are. Today it's memorabilia for the queen and someone that won a competition to star in a musical.

Definitely going for the oulwan/pink audience. Come back Shirley Temple-Bar - all is forgiven!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I thought I'd give this thread a chance, but it seems to have been set up specifically to question a presenter's intelligence, not to talk about the radio programme he presents. Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to lock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭telekon

Bard wrote: »
    I thought I'd give this thread a chance, but it seems to have been set up specifically to question a presenter's intelligence, not to talk about the radio programme he presents. Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to lock it?

Well, the topics he has on a daily basis seem to appeal to the lowest common denominator...Jedward, Mary byrne, All Ireland Talent Show, the Eurovision...

Not exactly the kind of programming that challenges the old brain cells. The wildlife stuff is the only redeeming quality it seems...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,906 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

why are RTE doing their best to dumb down this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well the Liveline thread, questions Joe's, Salary, FF connections,Salary, objectivity, Salary, value for money, Salary, why is he on holidays this week, Salary, how many weeks holiday does he get anyway, Salary,

daily,

and so far it has over 20,000 posts, so maybe give this one another week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well the Liveline thread, questions Joe's, Salary, FF connections,Salary, objectivity, Salary, value for money, Salary, why is he on holidays this week, Salary, how many weeks holiday does he get anyway, Salary,

daily,

and so far it has over 20,000 posts, so maybe give this one another week or so.

and repeat for the Marian Finucane show thread...

Ive tried starting a Derek Mooney megathread in the past, but it never got going, and instead of dragging up old threads, I started a thread to discuss a particular segment on his show which annoyed me.

I did not mean it to become a "Slag Derek Mooney thread". Indeed I even reported two posts to this thread last night, that made derogatory comments about his sexuality.

I quite like Derek strangely enough, I just get annoyed by some of the things he has on his show. Fate has conspired against me, and the time when I can listen to the radio is between 1.30 and 4pm Irish time, and so Joe Duffy and Derek Mooney is what I listen to. I like being able to discuss what i am listening to with other boardsies in a friendly and laid back manner, but I do not think this forum should be run like After Hours is, and I think a certain decorum should be maintained, but I still reserve the right to complain about him or his fellow presenters.

Lock it if you wish, or merge it to other Derek Mooney threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

To be fair, the name of the thread is "Is Derek Mooney a bit thick?" so I don't know where you could have gotten the idea that it was a discussion of his programme, and not related to his intelligence! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Is there really a need for a Derek Mooney megathread? Duffy, yes, there is so much to moan about, but Mooney? He's a bit too bland for a Megathread, it'll be a daily bitch about how dumb he is and how annoying Brenda is and how he should just stick to the wildlife and leave the current affairs/'interesting' microtopics to the rest of them. I don't see it lasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭telekon

At long last, Derek Mooney has come of age and has been rewarded with a Megathread of his very own on Boards.ie...Well done Derek!

*wipes tear from eye*

Anyway, where to start...I think his show is a load of inane arse-licking sh*te revolving around untalented irish people that have gained notoriety from TV 'talent' shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Threads merged... "megathread" created. Will keep an eye on it... Let's see if it actually lasts (not betting on it).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It really has deteriorated in the last few months. It used to hit on interesting (slightly quirky) subjects fairly often - but not anymore. The same drivel is repeated incessantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

dambarude wrote: »
    It really has deteriorated in the last few months. The same drivel is repeated incessantly.

Yeah I've noticed this too.. I'm a fan of Derek .. But there's been too much JEdward/Mary Byrne/Brenda and complaining about his perceived persecution of the GLBT community (him speaking from a completely disassociated and objective point of view, of course ;) )

It needs to be fun again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mooney's show is clearly aimed at women. End of story really.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mooney's show is clearly aimed at women. End of story really.:)

No it's not.

It has mistakenly (imho) adopted a 'tabloid' attitude in an attempt to ride the wave of interest in 'reality' tv and mildly talented individuals who gain publicity far above their talents as a result.

Donohue has the kids at every talent show going in an attempt to break into show business, McAnally,surely one of the blandest and watery people in RTE, is the producer and also does some spots in showbiz.

Mooney is getting more camp every day and seems to think his role is to plug the various shows run by his friends, Alan Hughes for example.

So is there any wonder it is pure tabloid drivel, for a lot of the time.

It used to be passable when Donohue was out on maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No it's not.

It has mistakenly (imho) adopted a 'tabloid' attitude in an attempt to ride the wave of interest in 'reality' tv and mildly talented individuals who gain publicity far above their talents as a result.

Donohue has the kids at every talent show going in an attempt to break into show business, McAnally,surely one of the blandest and watery people in RTE, is the producer and also does some spots in showbiz.

Mooney is getting more camp every day and seems to think his role is to plug the various shows run by his friends, Alan Hughes for example.

So is there any wonder it is pure tabloid drivel, for a lot of the time.

It used to be passable when Donohue was out on maternity leave.

Is his campness a big thing for you? By the way I don't even notice it, but I presume it's because he covers the Eurovision and X Factor. Move on.

So what if it's going more tabloid, the programme is aimed at women! Men can't really complain. It's an hour and a half of fluff in an RTE schudule that is made of serious programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Is his campness a big thing for you? By the way I don't even notice it, but I presume it's because he covers the Eurovision and X Factor. Move on.

So what if it's going more tabloid, the programme is aimed at women! Men can't really complain. It's an hour and a half of fluff in an RTE schudule that is made of serious programmes.

Eh no his campness is not a big thing friend. Couldn't give jack Schidt.

I think you do women a disservice there pal,if you think all they are interested in is reality shows and tabloid trash.

I'm just giving my opinion on my impression of how the show has gone downmarket and tacky recently.

Ok man?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,906 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sexist?

• Advertisement

Since when is it a programme aimed at women? While it has slipped into a lot of female-oriented material, they say they are a current affairs programme. At the start of the programme he says "You can ring in about anything you want". Its just that Derek Mooney does not attract the same moaning, "Isn't it terrible Joe" callers that Joe Duffy attracts, partly because he has his own opinions about things and does not jump on populist agendas like Joe does.

Also, one day a week he does the nature segment which I definitely do not think is in the purview of female-only content, and I would not call it fluff either.

Perhaps the problem with the Mooney show, is that it is a little too varied?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement