Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ADVICE REQUIRED: Yellow exhaust warning light on a VW Transporter?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine has a 07 Transporter T5 2.5 TDi and a yellow warning light has just appeared on the dash. The manual says it is an exhaust warning light and that he should drive it slowly to the nearest main dealer service centre.

Does anyone on here have any idea as to what this light is about? What could be wrong with the exhaust? Is it dangerous t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like a problem with emissions control. Take the advice in the manual and have it seen to - it should be still under warranty. I'm not sure if that van has a particle filter, but if it does it may be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that van has a particle filter, but if it does it may be the problem.

I had not thought of that! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

VW's particle filter is so finnicky it's unreal. It's also hugely expensive.

If you have such a filter then reading the manual on how to look after it is not optional!

JHMEG wrote: »
    If you have such a filter then reading the manual on how to look after it is not optional!

This van is about 9 months old and has 77k on the clock! It has a full VW timed service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There's a bit here from the AA about particle filters:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Here's a bit from Honest John:
    Q. I bought a 2007 Skoda Octavia TDI 170 - a great car, but I'm finding it hard to live with the particle filter, which is forever clogging up. When it does, a warning light comes on, there is no pull below 2,000rpm and the engine sounds like a London bus. I do what I can to keep it clear by giving it a motorway run in a low gear, but this means going out of my way and wasting some fuel. How is this saving the planet?
    G.B., via e-mail

A. Your experience is typical for many owners of particle filter diesels, especially those with the PSA/Ford 2.0 or the Alfa Romeo 1.9 Multijet. I hadn't heard of it before with the VW Group's TDI 170. The cause is usually too many short runs from cold starts and too much driving at low revs in heavy traffic. Your engine should run through a particle filter cleaning cycle, but I guess it is never getting hot enough for that to happen. It's also possible that the fuel you are using is a factor.

• Advertisement

Some good info there ;)

Mystery Solved

The van was put on the computer this morning and it turned out to have nothing to do with the exhaust - it was an intermittent fault on the side sliding door sensor!

Would not have guessed that from the warning indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

atlantean wrote: »
    A mate of mine has a 07 Transporter T5 2.5 TDi and a yellow warning light has just appeared on the dash. The manual says it is an exhaust warning light and that he should drive it slowly to the nearest main dealer service centre.
    atlantean wrote: »
    The van was put on the computer this morning and it turned out to have nothing to do with the exhaust - it was an intermittent fault on the side sliding door sensor!.

Why the fcuk would a problem with the sliding door bring on the exhaust warning light?????????? Makes no sense. :confused:

crosstownk wrote: »
    Why the fcuk would a problem with the sliding door bring on the exhaust warning light?????????? Makes no sense. :confused:

Our thoughts exactly! This is what came up on the computer. Once the sensor was checked and reset the light on the dash disappeared.

Advertisement