Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letters from Child Benefit every 4 months

• 10-11-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I would like to find out if other parents are experiencing difficulties with their Child Benefit. My daughter gets a letter every four months asking her to prove that she is still resident in the country. She sends it back to the child benefit section and a month later her child benefit stops and she phones them and they claim they never received the letter.

She then has to get confirmation from her sons school stating that he is attending the school therefore still resident in Ireland and her Child Benefit is finally reinstated and back paid. Then a few months later we start the same process over again. She now views child benefit as a savings account because she does eventually get it all back but can not rely on it on a monthly basis.

I believe that the reason that she gets the letters is because she has a foreign name but she has lived in Ireland from the age of 14 and her son was born in Ireland. She is also working and paying tax. I received the same letters for about a year before my youngest reached 18.

She queried this with Child Benefit section and they advised her that there are 4 different letters (for different circumstances) and every parent in Ireland gets one of these letters every four months. I have checked with all of my friends and she has checked with hers and none of them receive letters.

Please could you shed some light on this. ARE YOU RECEIVING LETTERS??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Yes, I was getting these letters with infuriating frequency. I grew up in the states but am legally resident here. The whole idea is that they're trying to prove that your daughter is legitimately entitled to the payment and that she is resident in state.

I would strongly suggest that your daughter contact them and discuss this situation. Every four months (without good cause) could be classified as harrassment.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I got one a month ago. First one in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I got one a month ago, get them every now and now

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Yes we are getting the letter..

How your daughter send the letters back? does she use envelope provided by the child benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Got one a month ago too, never got one before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think if I were your daughter I would start registering the letters she is sending back, they can't claim they didn't receive them if they have to be signed for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I was getting these letters regularly and phoned a couple of times to ask why I was continually getting them - got the 'its standard' response. So the next time I got one I wrote a letter to go with it. I explained that I had no problems filling in the forms and returning them, but this form was my 6th time getting one and I was concerned about the waste of money sending me the forms and the pre-paid envelope. Haven't had a form in about 12 months now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

wuzzik wrote: »
    they advised her that there are 4 different letters (for different circumstances) and every parent in Ireland gets one of these letters every four months.

Well that's rubbish. My twins are 8 and we've never received a letter.

I'm moving this to the State Benefits forum. The folks there may have a better idea on how to deal with this. I'll leave a redirect in Parenting so people in both forums can contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Check out citizens information regarding child benefit:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

.............."Anti-fraud checks
    EU/EEA citizens and Swiss national covered by EU Regulations are required to certify every 4 months that they continue to work in this State.

Non-EU/EEA citizens are also required to certify every 4 months that they and their children continue to live in this State."

Could this possibly be the reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wuzzik

Ayla wrote: »
    Yes, I was getting these letters with infuriating frequency. I grew up in the states but am legally resident here. The whole idea is that they're trying to prove that your daughter is legitimately entitled to the payment and that she is resident in state.

I would strongly suggest that your daughter contact them and discuss this situation. Every four months (without good cause) could be classified as harrassment.

Thanks Ayla she has contacted them and they just say that everyone is getting these letters but I do not believe that. h

• Advertisement

mmalaka wrote: »
    Yes we are getting the letter..

How your daughter send the letters back? does she use envelope provided by the child benefit?

Yes she uses the envelope that they provide but her payment has been stopped three or four times in the last year

January wrote: »
    I think if I were your daughter I would start registering the letters she is sending back, they can't claim they didn't receive them if they have to be signed for.

I think you could be right January. I will advise her to do that in the future.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I was getting these letters regularly and phoned a couple of times to ask why I was continually getting them - got the 'its standard' response. So the next time I got one I wrote a letter to go with it. I explained that I had no problems filling in the forms and returning them, but this form was my 6th time getting one and I was concerned about the waste of money sending me the forms and the pre-paid envelope. Haven't had a form in about 12 months now:D

HAHA they must have crossed you off their mailing list

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work with some of Polish/Irish colleagues and they get them very often. I, or anyone I know have never had them. I have a relitive from America who is here about 10 years and she never had that form for any of her children.

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    Check out citizens information regarding child benefit:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

.............."Anti-fraud checks
    EU/EEA citizens and Swiss national covered by EU Regulations are required to certify every 4 months that they continue to work in this State.

Non-EU/EEA citizens are also required to certify every 4 months that they and their children continue to live in this State."

Could this possibly be the reason??

Thanks I guess that this is the answer. You would think by now they would have linked systems and know that people are obviously working here if they are paying tax here. Is this a new thing?? Just wondering because I was paid child benefit for 10 years and it was only last year that I started getting them. I wonder how much it costs them to post out all these letters

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

wuzzik wrote: »
    I wonder how much it costs them to post out all these letters

I guess that it is a small cost compared to the savings made on fraudulent claims due to mass migration out of the country in recent years. Returning these forms will help to maintain the current rate for the rest of us. Small inconvenience to some of us that rely on this payment to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ebony1

Have been getting these letters too on a very frequent basis, which is very annoying. And last week, I also didn't receive child benefit, although I did return the form. I don't understand why the government departments do not link up their database. If they did, it would be very clear that I am still resident in this country, as I am paying PAYE taxes every month through company payroll (have been working for the same company for over 10 years). I understand that they need to take action to prevent fraudulent claims, but surely there are better ways to do this then to waste tax payers money on sending out these forms all the time. A simple communication between revenue and social welfare (database link) would solve a lot of these issues and it would also find fraudulent claims a lot easier. Called child benefit section and they said they didn't receive the form back. They will send me out another form and child benefit will be reinstated as soon as they receive it back. When I complained about the frequency of these forms they said it's standard procedure and everyone gets them. However, none of my Irish friends have ever heard of them and when I said to my employer that they must be getting sick of having to sign these forms for everyone, they informed me I am the only one asking them to do so. Am also the only EU national in the company who's entitled to child benefit. What are the changes these are related ???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thats a good point, I dont know of any person who was born in another EU country but is not currently employed here getting these forms. I can ask. Some female friends of mine are now in 1 income familys now, I'll ask do they still get the forms.

It does seem to be only the working people getting the forms.

Seems like nothing is linked, each social welfare office needs a copy your correspondence from ever other government dept, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I live in Letterkenny, and when we moved house almost 2 years ago I dropped a letter into the offices with a change of address. Roll on September and no payment in the post office. They have said that they sent a form to my old address (they say they never received my letter), and that they are being sent to everyone. I was born here, have never been outside the country for more than 1 week(and that was over 10 years ago). I am on a CE scheme, so get my money from FAS every week, but they have said that there is no way they can see who is getting social welfare or FAS payments. They have now received my letter containing bank statement, letter from school and work contract to prove I still live here, but I have been told I will receive these forms every couple of months now because I moved and didn't let them know-even though as far as I was aware they had received everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I live here for 16 years and come from an EU country. My son whose father is Irish is now 7 years old and I have been getting these letters every 3-4 months. I have sent accompanying letters etc but never got a reply and the letters keep coming, I always sent them back and the benefit was never stopped.

• Advertisement

However, none of my Irish friends have ever heard of them and when I said to my employer that they must be getting sick of having to sign these forms for everyone, they informed me I am the only one asking them to do so. Am also the only EU national in the company who's entitled to child benefit. What are the changes these are related ???????????[/QUOTE]

That does not surprise me at all. I do not know any Irish people who get them. Perhaps there are a few but it is not the norm.

Agent_99 wrote: »
    I guess that it is a small cost compared to the savings made on fraudulent claims due to mass migration out of the country in recent years. Returning these forms will help to maintain the current rate for the rest of us. Small inconvenience to some of us that rely on this payment to make ends meet.

Depends whether you are the one asking your employer and your childs school to sign them every three or four months. There are thousands of Irish people leaving the country but very few are getting the letters so they would get away with it whilst those from outside Ireland who are paying tax here face this on an ongoing basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

It is quite clear this is a racism issue.. My partner (foreign) gets them for our daughter every couple of weeks.

A girl in work has just started getting these forms, since changing her name to her husbands (who is foreign)

I wonder how much money has been wasted sending these letters !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

This certification is a requirement to continue to receive Child Benefit. From [url]www.welfare.ie:[/url]

Anti-fraud checks

Non-EU/EEA citizens are also required to certify every 4 months that they and their children continue to live in this State.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

canonball5 wrote: »
    It is quite clear this is a racism issue.. My partner (foreign) gets them for our daughter every couple of weeks.

A girl in work has just started getting these forms, since changing her name to her husbands (who is foreign)

I wonder how much money has been wasted sending these letters !!

How So? Common sense would dictate that foreigners would more likely leave the state compared to Irish. Hence its only fair that they are the first call for verification.

How much is child benefit for 4 months? 560e? how much is a stamp? 30c

Or dont you like the government to save as much as possible with the current scenario blah, blah

We recieve the letter every 4 months, fill it in and post it back no bother

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

vicM wrote: »

How much is child benefit for 4 months? 560e? how much is a stamp? 30c

An envelope is enclosed to send the form back freepost.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

cee_jay wrote: »
    An envelope is enclosed to send the form back freepost.

And yet its still an issue for some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

vicM wrote: »
    And yet its still an issue for some

Sorry for saying this,but somebody post letters using registered post,because they get lost in child's benefit office.That was happen with few my friends.
    And registered post cost around 5 euro to send letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I also get these letters quite often, only about twice or 3 times a year I think.
    I was born in the UK and put British as my nationality on the form the first time I got one (about 3 years ago) and started getting them regularly.
    A friend advised me since I have an Irish passport and Irish family to put Irish as the nationality, and guess what, no letters since february.

Having spoken to a few parents, it seems some have got them and some not, but the ones that put any nationality other than irish get them repeatedly.
    I can understand the anti fraud thing, there is a lot of it going on, but they are also useless when it comes to dealing with them, I tried to change address and my surname about 6 times, finally they did it but stopped my money because of a mistake. Its awful trying to get through and get it sorted.

Just to add, I also called them to tell them the situation with the change of nationality, they said no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm as Irish as they come, but my wife is Belgian and we get the letters every 3 months. We've lived here since 1998 and have 2 kids born and raised here. We're no more or less likely to leave than anyone else, especially now.

To be honest it's a form of discrimination against "non-nationals" - either everyone should get these letters or no-one should.

Advertisement