Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

exceeding NBS data allowance

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

My parents are NBS customers so I gather their data allowance is 40GB. They've been on the NBS for a couple of years but all of a suddden, in the last few months, they have exceeded the data allowance on at least 3 separate billing periods. They live in a very rural area with no houses nearby and they are very light users. During these periods, as far as I know, only 2 devices were using the data connection - an ipad and an iphone, and they stopped using netflix when this happened the first time, in case that was the problem. They don't use any other streaming apps, as far as I know, and they wouldn't be downloading music or movies or anything like that. It's very strange that during periods when our whole family were home, like Christmas for example, the usage never went over the allowance so I'm puzzled as to what's changed. Three haven't been very helpful either. I'm assuming that this isn't a mistake on Three's part, and that the data is being used, so any suggestions about how to help them get to the bottom of this? They have a wifi router so I can check that when I visit to see what devices are connected but I'm not sure how much additional info I will be able to get from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ruled out the possibility of their connection being leeched by someone, have you changed the security passwords ? Checked their computers for viruses, trojans, malware, etc. ? They left some p2p app. on for ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PC with malware would be my bet. That or RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭clohamon

The NBS scheme ends on 25th of August. The download allowance for mobile customers will decrease from 40MB to the standard 15MB. Customers will be receiving a letter in relation to their options.
    Following expiry of the NBS contract and the cessation of the services specified under the contract, “3” will offer customers in NBS areas the same mobile broadband plans and tariffs, as those offered throughout its commercial footprint. I understand that such plans include the option of a 15GB and a 60GB monthly data limit.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2014070100064?opendocument#WRM01650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

clohamon wrote: »
    The NBS scheme ends on 25th of August. The download allowance for mobile customers will decrease from 40MB to the standard 15MB. Customers will be receiving a letter in relation to their options.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2014070100064?opendocument#WRM01650

But don't three have to honor the full contract length if the user signed up recently?

I don't think three stopped signing up new NBS customers on the 25th of August last year so anyone signing up after than will have a contract that three have to honor for its full term?

Advertisement